Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 PM

91 posts, read 248,943 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Miami. I'd be closer to my entire family and there's not really any other place that interests me in the United States. I'm mostly concerned about the prices (which must be lower than where I live now since I live in the 1st or 2nd most expensive city in the US), housing and most importantly jobs. I'm not worried about the weather because I am originally from the south and despite all the heat (and the racism), I think the south is a nice place. At least down there, you already know who hates you unlike a certain near-broke state where everyone gives you fake smiles then proceeds to rob you in your sleep.

I have no liabilities (wife, kids, large bills) and would like to enjoy my young life. Miami seems to fit the bill plus its a gateway to the Caribbean, South America and Europe.

I'm not too worried about crime although yesterday when I bothered to read the Miami Herald online, the headline was "12 shot at party". That's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM

Anyone?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Those kind of shootings are not common down here. That particular area is very dangerous.

You will unfortunately see NE type of personalities down here in S. Florida. I do recommend you keep everything in perspective, not everyone from the NE is a sarcastic racist. There's good and bad people everywhere.

The job market is as bad as everywhere and rents are very expensive down here. If you are really interested, I recommend you move after you have a job offer.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Those kind of shootings are not common down here. That particular area is very dangerous.

You will unfortunately see NE type of personalities down here in S. Florida. I do recommend you keep everything in perspective, not everyone from the NE is a sarcastic racist. There's good and bad people everywhere.

The job market is as bad as everywhere and rents are very expensive down here. If you are really interested, I recommend you move after you have a job offer.
Northeasterners ruining Miami? Yeah, the "out-of-towners" ruined Atlanta the same way. Not much we can do about that, but maybe all those foreclosures forced them back north.

I got a call from a lady at a large temp agency and she says that they are very busy, so I'm hoping that that means that the local economy is starting to turn a corner.

What is the culture like? I mean, are people just racist Moderator cut: Trolling or is there a real sense of community?

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-12-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM

224 posts, read 1,002,001 times
what part of the south are you from? It seems that you lived in Atlanta or GA somewhere... If that is the case, Miami is NOTHING like the rest of the South... Take it from someone that lived in Miami for 30 years and now lives in Atlanta...

The weather is nothing like it is in Atlanta.. for one, no hurricanes in Atlanta... Also GA is much cooler than Miami... Miami is in the tropics and the weather is extremely different... Actually the weather in Miami is very different than to other cities in Fl like Orlando...

Jobs pay lower than other cities in the South and the cost of living is MUCH higher (insurance, gas, restaurants, etc)...

Take that into consideration before you pull the trigger.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
what part of the south are you from? It seems that you lived in Atlanta or GA somewhere... If that is the case, Miami is NOTHING like the rest of the South... Take it from someone that lived in Miami for 30 years and now lives in Atlanta...

The weather is nothing like it is in Atlanta.. for one, no hurricanes in Atlanta... Also GA is much cooler than Miami... Miami is in the tropics and the weather is extremely different... Actually the weather in Miami is very different than to other cities in Fl like Orlando...

Jobs pay lower than other cities in the South and the cost of living is MUCH higher (insurance, gas, restaurants, etc)...

Take that into consideration before you pull the trigger.
Yeah, I lived in Atlanta, that's how I know Moderator cut: Flaming/Personal, please use PM; they have stopped the growth of a real mass transit system in that city (Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth [which didn't allow blacks to live in the county until around 2000], DeKalb, etc.), thus I called them racist Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming. Moderator cut: personal, please use PM THE KU KLUX KLAN WAS RE-BORN JUST OUTSIDE OF ATLANTA.

Anywho, the only hurricane to ever really "strike" that city was Opal, and they had a little 5 pointer earthquake in the early 2000s. That city was much better before the Olympics, before the out-of-towners and before the smog. Before 1997, there was never smog there. Can you believe that? A lot of other icons are gone like the Rich's (NOT MACY'S) Great Tree, the Pink Pig, Rich's Downtown (it's the Sam Nunn Federal Building now), etc.

I'm surprised that jobs pay less and the cost of living is higher though. The south isn't quite San Francisco (or New York City) when it comes to price. Can you tell me or point me to where I can find some price data? How much is milk, insurance, gas per gallon, etc?

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-13-2009 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Miami isn't really much more expensive after you get your housing... that is the real killer. I'm from Grand Rapids, MI (population 250k) and I notice the prices are right on par with Miami minus rent. Miami is great, but you can not call it "the south". It is nothing like anything north of west palm beach haha. It is a different world here, but I do not see the rudeness of the Northeast like the other people on here claim. I find the people to be very friendly and open in this city and racism is racism... you'll see it anywhere but if you are are friendly chances are you won't be effected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami