Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think the Economy in Miami is Getting Better or Worse?
Better 10 28.57%
Worse 25 71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM

317 posts, read 819,807 times

Advertisements

Please Refer to the Following Link: this thread was duplicated in Error.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...i-getting.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Do You Think the Economy in Miami is Getting Better or Worse?

Do You Think the Economy in Miami is Getting Better or Worse?

In terms of jobs, business opportunities, real estate etc.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Do You Think the Economy in Miami is Getting Better or Worst?

In terms of jobs, business opportunities, real estate etc....
unemployment is still climbing

business opportunities if you are industrious you can start your own business sure,

As for real estate do not expect Real Estate to "rebound" in your life time.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Jobs? There are hundreds lined up for crummy construction work. Business opportunities? Too many regulations and extremely overpriced commercial real estate will keep a lid on that for a while. High insurance and energy costs do not help either. There is hope for real estate though. Prices still seem to be falling and inflation will drive up interest rates, halting speculation. The lower real estate prices fall the better things will be. Low property prices indicate strong economic fundamentals. Let's hope that can happen here.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Miami, in its current form is simply unsustainable. Unemployment will continue to rise, especially as the construction boom was brought to a halt (thank god) by the recession and many of the greedy speculators and realtors looking to get rich quick, actually got burned.

Tourism in Miami is also on the major decline:

South Florida hotels see no bottom in tourism decline - Worldnews.com

It's not just the recession to blame, but also that other destinations are becoming more popular and Miami Beach is simply failing to compete.

@ Tallrick - prices may be coming down, but without jobs or decent schools, who will be able to move here? Do you honestly see any of those empty condos downtown filling up?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 911,017 times
I think people around the country, not just Miami or Floridians, need to remember the world of business does not operate on cable news time (24/7 newscycle). People need to be more patient and more optimistic. I think the bulk of the stimulus money (most of which hasn't been spent) should be allocated to the top 100 cities. Why not put our money where it will do the most good, rather than send it out to the boondocks to pave the road grandma and grandpa use to get to town?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Real estate propped up this city's fake economy from 2000-2007. Now that's done, I wonder what will be next... Luxury used car sales? Drugs? Hotels and night clubs alone cant feed the demand for so many immigrant jobs... 3rd world banks from South American banana republics are also not the answer.

If Miami became a more "English friendly" city, I think Miami would be the "lion of the South", but its people are too stubborn.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
I think people around the country, not just Miami or Floridians, need to remember the world of business does not operate on cable news time (24/7 newscycle). People need to be more patient and more optimistic. I think the bulk of the stimulus money (most of which hasn't been spent) should be allocated to the top 100 cities. Why not put our money where it will do the most good, rather than send it out to the boondocks to pave the road grandma and grandpa use to get to town?
Optimisim and reality don't match up sometimes. It is better to be realistic.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
I think Miami would be the "lion of the South", but its people are too stubborn.
-----------
Better be the head of a mouse that the tail of a southern o'possum.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
I definitely think that this goes beyond a general panic because of 24/7 news about the subject. The climate in the economy has brought down powerhouses in the credit and banking industries across the world. I like to gather information from news as well as real life experiences to get a clearer picture, that's why I asked the question about what locals here in miami are seeing themselves because like you said the news is all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami