Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-twenty year old, recent college graduate (as of last year). My company has recently informed me that there is an opening in Miami for another position within our company and asked if I was interested.

I do not know anything about Miami, nor have I ever been. All I have heard about it from people who have lived there is that it is extremely fake and superficial.

I am NOT a superficial girl at all, I love hiking, biking, playing sports, going to small local bars and pretty much keeping it low-key. Is there anywhere near Miami that isn't so 'mainstream party central'? Are there any decent suburbs that a 5'2 mid-twenty year old girl could afford and feel safe in? I do not think I want to live in downtown Miami.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Try Coral Gables. Although expensive overall, there are some affordable rentals there and sounds like a pretty good scene for you. There are many social circles in Miami, fake and real. You will be fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
Say yes & rush ...

Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
yeah, you will be fine. You have to remember, people will ALWAYS focus in on the bad of any place. They rarely point out the good, event though it is alive and thriving. Think of it as work......your boss will always point out the bad stuff that you do, but rarely praises you for a job well done. Well, most employers are like that.....not all. Catch my drift ?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Where will you be working?

I like the Coral Way/Miracle Mile stretch. There are some really nice newer condo buildings and the area is walkable, pet friendly and you always see people out and about at any hour.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
depends where you will go. There are some superficial people in Miami

Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotstars View Post
I am a mid-twenty year old, recent college graduate (as of last year). My company has recently informed me that there is an opening in Miami for another position within our company and asked if I was interested.

I do not know anything about Miami, nor have I ever been. All I have heard about it from people who have lived there is that it is extremely fake and superficial.

I am NOT a superficial girl at all, I love hiking, biking, playing sports, going to small local bars and pretty much keeping it low-key. Is there anywhere near Miami that isn't so 'mainstream party central'? Are there any decent suburbs that a 5'2 mid-twenty year old girl could afford and feel safe in? I do not think I want to live in downtown Miami.

Thanks!
I suggest you visit before you move. No matter what we tell you, your perceptions are what matters here. I personally think superficial and fake people are everywhere in every city of this planet.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
What's so bad about liking nice cars and nice things? I personally love being able to look at all the cool cars and houses of miami, although sometimes i get a little jealous of the houses :P I was kind of giving a jackass answer there, in reality you'll find what you are looking for in miami.. there's literally something for everyone in this weird city, and if you don't find what you're looking for, you should leave the forums and go outside! You're going to find money driven superficial people everywhere in the USA.. it is our culture you know!!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
I agree with most posters here.

There are parts of Miami that are super glitzy and superficial, and people like that to go right along with them.

But as with any area that has millions of people, there are all types, including the ones you're looking for. You just may have to work a little harder to find them as opposed to stumbling all over them when you walk down the street.

Coral Gables is a great place for young singles, and all types of housing is available there from high-end condos to your cheaper, older-type buildings. While some streets do look a little questionable, don't worry--Coral Gables is overall a wealthy city and they take their security and police operations very seriously. You should have no problem feeling safe there.

Kendall is also a nice suburb, but is a lot more family-oriented than entertainment-oriented. Not much "fun" stuff to speak of.

You won't be able to hike much in flat old Florida hehe. However there are a lot of bikers here, usually on Key Biscayne and the Matheson Hammock park down in the Pinecrest/South Coral Gables area, and any number of water sports to get involved in.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
I thought it appropriate to join this thread and request for any feedback on a recommendation/feedback on where would be the best location for a condo investment. I am presently looking at SOFI and Sunny Isles, in particular I've been offered a distressed sale of in the Jade Beach development in Sunny Isles. Me and my wife are presently living outside the US and originally are from the San Francisco Bay Area. Any advice, apart from what we are getting from our real estate agents, on where would be the best developments and location/neighborhoods to invest in with a view to renting it in the short term and making it a home in the next 3-5 years. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami