Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

16 posts, read 60,200 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what is it that keeps people in Miami even though this city drives them insane? Sooooo many people complain about Miami, and don't appear to be making much attempt to move to another city or at least a better neighborhood (my parents included).

I understand relocating is no light matter, but if one REALLY hates a place, why stay there? If there's a will, there's a way right?

I suppose it's just my young naiveté speaking. But I've lost so many friends to the north, so I know it's definitely not impossible.

But then we have people like my parents. It's an empty nest in a less than affluent neighborhood, and all they do is complain about the area, complain about Miami and just complain complain complain. My dad is retired and my mom's job is not so serious that she has to stay at it forever. They could just return back to Trinidad (no visa issues, dual citizenship) to all that remote family-owned land.

But I'm curious why stay in Miami just to hate it? It seems like a common theme.

I don't mind so much. It's a bit crude, but I've been through favelas in Brazil, walked through Brooklyn and I live a stone's throw from Opa Locka. It's not great, but its not the end of the world if an area doesn't look like a magazine. P.S. - I haven't been robbed, molested or impregnated even on the bus.

And no one should be surprised at the Cuban and Hatian population, that's like going to Chinatown and complaining about the Chinese...

So enlighten me. Although, I certainly do not believe this is paradise and I haven't really "lived" here for about 2 years. But why do people feel such burning hate yet stay when they can move without dire consquences like my parents or those who weren't originally from Miami in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
No idea ask them. Probably just dont know where to move, dont want to move, being lazy. But I think for the majority of people its finding a new job. Being a afriad to move etc.. Or they like their job, need their job and cant leave it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Many reasons, one of them like FLyMIA mentioned, the job situation.

Some people are stuck with mortgages/houses they can't even give away.
Some are upside down, and don't think defaulting on their mortgage is an answer.
Some, for health reasons. I know people who hate it here, but the Doctor's orders say it's the best place for them (allergies, arthritis etc)
Some may be affraid. Not everyone wants to risk what little they have, and gamble on the unknown.
Some have kids, and may not want to detract the kids' educations.
Some hate it here, but may have friends/family and are reluctant to relocate, so they sit and complain.

There are endless reasons. Some I probably haven't thought of.

And the number one reason ------> Some are just miserable.

Even if you offered them paradise (their ideal place/slice of heaven), they'd still be miserable, and complain.

As for your folks, ask them. Offer them alternatives. I sense they may dislike the place, but like the weather. They may think they're too old to move, or not have the energy and mental stamina to start over.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 60,200 times
Thanks for the answers, my curiosity is sated.

Although, I still have difficultly wrapping my head around the people who want to be miserable haha. They probably secretly love the place.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
I forgot one thing. Some people probably had unrealistic expectations of Miami, thinking they were going to live on South Beach or Weston, watching movies and shows such Bad Boys, Something about Mary, CSI Miami etc.

They came to Miami, reality sank in, and they hated the place while they should have hated their situation. I've heard it all.

And to be honest, some just don't like it, period. I'm one of them.

It's also normal not to like a particular place. Ask someone who loves Miami (the weather, the beach, atmosphere, the ladies etc), doing well there financially and socially, then ask them to move to North Dakota.

It won't be for them.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM

452 posts, read 1,345,805 times
Hello I felt I had to join this topic for I am a former Miami native born in cuba that moved to Charlotte, NC in 2008. I lived in Miami for 30 years. I lived the good life...worked in the Grove lived in the beach during the 90's. I grew old of the Miami way....And I didnt want to have my kids grow up with the Miami attitude....

I can name a million reasons....

Now that I live here I've learned how to humble myself to different situations......Specially on the road...you know the "Road Templer" you see unlike Miami, people here drive and look at the road not worry about who is about to pass them or who is next to them at the light that they feel they have to turn their heads and see who that guy or girl is..Maybe thats why we had so many accidents..people eating s*8t.

I mean its all the above...Dont get me wrong Miami is paradise...yes...but just imagine this for one second....Imagine being in the nicest place in the world...but to only have strange creatures walking around...would you still like this nice paradise?

Now to how I left Miami, to give some of the people in a motivation.....and throw out all the excuses.
I walked away from my 2 homes....gave keys back to bank
My wife was 8 month pregnant and a teacher at a good school
left my cuban roots behinds
left my good paying job.
left my family..left my 4,000 people I knew...left my best friend....

I made a choice that I was leaving...selected 3 cities, visited Charlotte and fell in love...came back to Miami walked through Airport and thats when I realised it was time to go...Two years later I feel Ive made the best decision in my life. I went to visit in June and wanted to leave after 4 hours...

Best of Luck to anyone that wants to leave

Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
I know a few guys who married Latin girls and with the close, extended traditional Latin family structure, they'll never get out of Miami because the wives want to be close to their parents (and family's important!).

And yeah, some people are just complainers. I've also noticed that in any less-than-ideal situation (bad relationship, unsatisfying work, living in a place you don't like) there are a lot of people who are all talk about "this place sucks, I'm outta here, one of these days I'm just going to pack up and go"--but there's always something onerous like the act of moving, or finding a new job, or some other thing that's hard and time-consuming and risky, that keeps them from doing it. So I would say maybe it's more an expression of their own frustration at not having the courage to go after what they really want. Bashing on where they live is just a handy target that lets them avoid addressing the fears that hold them back. (Note: I am not a shrink, nor do I play one on TV.)

Having said that, I will be leaving Miami as soon as I finish grad school and I certainly have days where I hate South Florida, but I've also had a lot of fun here. It's just time for me to go, that's all.

Last edited by Schrodinger's Kittens; 06-04-2010 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Random word deletions

Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,602 times
There's only one answer to this question for me: my family. My parents still live here and while we're moving away (work-related), they're the only reason I'll keep coming back...

Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 AM

452 posts, read 1,345,805 times
Sometimes in life you have to make hard decisions...and sometimes those decisions change your life for ever....like it has done to me...good luck

Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM

78 posts, read 72,274 times
Some of your comments are borderline insulting to people who don't have the method or the means to get out. I was one of the lucky ones that did get out, but others are stuck there, including a good friend of mine who hates Miami as much as I did, but cannot leave because his elderly mother depends on him. Besides, who are you to begrudge anyone who comes on here to vent? Miami isn't for everyone and hearing both positive and negative aspects of living in Miami help those who are deciding on potentially moving there. Not everyone can just "get up and leave" and it's ignorant to think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami