Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM

380 posts, read 961,669 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am an intern at a miami beach institution that deals with the well being of the community. Anyway, I am planning on trying to organize a clean up, or do preventative measures.

If it gets off the ground or if we piggy back on another organization. We would like any input, or volunteers or anything you know about this travesty!

I've heard from a friend of a friend that people in Tampa can smell the oil onshores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
That's a premature assumption at this point.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,878 times
tampa is no where near miami. and besides the minor islands off the coast, the oil hasn't even hit mainland Louisiana or Mississippi yet, nevermind the atlantic ocean beaches of Miami, FL. the oil will have a looooong way to go before it reaches all the way down to the keys and wraps itself around florida's southern point all the back up to Miami. By that point I would think that a good 1/3 of the gulf will have been drenched in oil, if that were to happen.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
Now,isn't that a troll or what..?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Now,isn't that a troll or what..?
I don't see why you say that. A lot of experts say that oil is very likely to get into the gulf stream which will then carry it right around the peninsula and right up the East Coast with MIA right in the path.

I'm definitely worried significant destruction may come to FL beaches from this mess. I hope it doesn't but odds are ominous.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I don't think it's trolling but it is a little meloodramatic and the other posters made some good points. But it would be good to be prepared just in case...

Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 46,643 times
Should be the sole reason NOT to pursue offshore drilling. Drill baby drill? I don't think so!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
Hello all. I am an intern at a miami beach institution that deals with the well being of the community. Anyway, I am planning on trying to organize a clean up, or do preventative measures.

If it gets off the ground or if we piggy back on another organization. We would like any input, or volunteers or anything you know about this travesty!

I've heard from a friend of a friend that people in Tampa can smell the oil onshores.
Nobody in Tampa can smell it. Look at the Tampa thread. Friend of a friend is pretty vague. Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I don't see why you say that. A lot of experts say that oil is very likely to get into the gulf stream which will then carry it right around the peninsula and right up the East Coast with MIA right in the path.

I'm definitely worried significant destruction may come to FL beaches from this mess. I hope it doesn't but odds are ominous.
Actually.... a lot of experts do not say this. One professor froma university said this. Let's hope this gets stopped soon and it does not end up impacting any of Florida's beaches.

Oh and that professor said that if the oil did get in the current it would not affect Tampa beaches since the current is so far off shore from the Tampa area. So.... not sure how people in Tampa can smell the oil when its going to be taken up the East Coast with the gulf stream.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
This is going to be the greatest natural disaster in the history of the U.S. when, AND IF, BP can finally cap this well. The economic damage will be catastrophic. It absolutely will spread to Florida eventually. This should be a mandate for us to halt all new offshore oil drilling and get ourselves serious about getting off our oil addiction.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
This is going to be the greatest natural disaster in the history of the U.S. when, AND IF, BP can finally cap this well. The economic damage will be catastrophic. It absolutely will spread to Florida eventually. This should be a mandate for us to halt all new offshore oil drilling and get ourselves serious about getting off our oil addiction.
Greatest natural disaster in the history of the US? People in New Orleans will still be talking about Hurricane Katrina decades from now, not the "Great oil slick of 2010." Even then, it's arguable that this is even a natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami