Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 PM

96 posts, read 210,126 times

Advertisements

I am of a hispanic background but don't look it. I mean there was a guy on the street selling something yelling out in spanish and he passes me by and starts yelling in English. I walk into a gas station on Flagler St. and everyone is talking Spanish but when it is my turn in line the clerk talks to me in English (with a heavy accent), I went to a used car dealer y los Argentinos de mierda insult me in Spansh to my face so I guess I'm as good as a gringo. The point is you'll be fine but it'll feel like you are somewhere developed in South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
I am of a hispanic background but don't look it. I mean there was a guy on the street selling something yelling out in spanish and he passes me by and starts yelling in English. I walk into a gas station on Flagler St. and everyone is talking Spanish but when it is my turn in line the clerk talks to me in English (with a heavy accent), I went to a used car dealer y los Argentinos de mierda insult me in Spansh to my face so I guess I'm as good as a gringo. The point is you'll be fine but it'll feel like you are somewhere developed in South America.

Do you really get insulted much? Being white and people not expecting i've spoke spanish i've never actually heard people talking bad about me in spanish. I'm almost always greeted in english but I ask if the prefer spanish if their accent is big enough (they are always happy about it), but the most i've ever heard people talk about me in spanish are girls saying that i'm cute.. other than that no one seems to really say a word about me , good or bad.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
It seems like people are catering to you and going out of their way to make you feel comfortable when they switch to English for you. It sounds like you don't like the fact that people assume you don't speak Spanish. Just answer them back in Spanish and they will realize you are Latin...and no one will miss a beat.

If someone insults you for no reason, especially an Argentine....well, I mean, they aren't exactly known for being dark skinned, so they are probably similar to you physically, so that probably had more to do with that person being a jerk as opposed to you not looking Hispanic. Don't sweat that stuff and take your business elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
agree...a "buenos dias/tardes/noches" will work in your favor. You'd be surprised at the reaction that people will have to your speaking Spanish. I had a friend who was just like you...moved to Little Havana from Vermont, a true "gringo"...and spoke better Spanish that most native speakers. He loved living in Little Havana..he was really into the Hispanic culture...and especially loved the ladies...
really you guys are way to formal with the young crowd use hola que bola hacer? that will certinly suprise them

Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM

53 posts, read 103,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdersch View Post
ha ha..I definitely have more of a Brad Pitt look, in fact ive been compared to him more than once. ( though Im half his age) I do ned to find some zippy cuban expressions though as you said...any suggestions? maybe : Que? nunca has conocido un gringo que habla tu propia idioma? said in a nice way
LOL that sounds more like a KKK or SS than friendly spanish... ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-02-2013 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: English Only - Per TOS

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times
I am one of those rare fair skinned, blue green eyed blonde Cuban girls and often the younger folks will speak to me in English at first but the older folks will always speak to me in Spanish first. My husband is Midwestern and very very American looking and he gets the same thing.

My husband does speak Spanish although the Spanish that most speak here is either clipped (Cubans) or very rapid everyone else and he has trouble understanding them. So your Spanish skills will be put to the test, but at the same time you will begin to learn a lot more about different Hispanics cultures.

I would also like to point out that little Havana is not solely Cuban, there are a lot more of central American and south American there. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,313 times
I live around that west little havana area. It's funny, you just walk a few blocks more south and west and boom you're in coral gables among the white people. As far as "etiquette" about speaking spanish or not.......eh do whatever you feel like at that moment. Switch it up. It's not a big deal. You may be surprised that the people that are offensive or rude are who you least expect it...

Oh and don't expect so much formalities in Little Havana. If you wanna ask someone a question don't go up and say "Hello, how are you doing?" They'll think you're a scammer, want money, are a survey person, or want to waste their time. Just ask the question or if you want to make small talk just start talking.

And don't be like that AA black guy that decided to go on a rant in a cafeteria about me not wanting to greet him. Blah blah blah, race card. There are always troublemakers, or people with an attitude problem, don't think it has necessarily anything to do with what language you talk or how you greet them or not.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
The average Cuban in Miami is blonde/light brown haired, fair skinned with caramel colored eyes, so when it comes to looks a gringo shouldn't stand out in Miami.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
The average Cuban in Miami is blonde/light brown haired, fair skinned with caramel colored eyes, so when it comes to looks a gringo shouldn't stand out in Miami.
Some cubans are like that but I wouldn't say that it is the average.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 AM

318 posts, read 624,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdersch View Post
I will be living right where Little havana and West Flagler meet, just about 13 blocks south of the airport. I'm white, do not look hispanic at all, but speak very fluent spanih, Theres not much I cant say or understand anymore. Will people generally ignore me in little havana since they are just going to assume I dont know Spanish, or if I go out of my way to speak Spanish will that help and even make them give me more credibility?
do not look hispanic at all? you do not look white?

This guy is confusing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: