Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous4321 View Post
I have a few questions:
1. Is there a big drug problem in the UP? Particularly in the title areas? not sure
2. Is 60k a large enough household income to do well there? that's all we make but I feel like we're suffering because we used to make 90-100K where we moved from and it's not like rent/groceries/etc are cheaper here
3. I love 3 things: Hockey, snow, and cooking... Can Houghton/Hancock deliver on these? the hockey team sucks at MTU this year I heard they might fire the coach. there's a lot of snow (did you really need to ask?). i guess you can cook but it's super annoying because we usually have to go to multiple grocery stores to get all of the ingredients (super walmart doesn't have it all and some of their produce is rotten/sold out, so then we have to go to the more expensive places), the restaurants here suck compared to living in a big city.
4. Is a 4wd necessary for this area? I am of the telecommuting sort, and was raised in a rural southern area. I've always loved the thought of going back to a smaller town where self sufficiency and neighborhood were values. Does this fit? we don't have a 4wd.
5. Are there good Lutheran churches? I was raised Lutheran but we never had a church local. I've since gotten farther from having faith, but think it would be good for my future family. i'm not religious but it seems like everyone else here is super religious
6. Are Lake Superior fish safe to eat? I like fishing and may even own a fishing boat someday. i guess so

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...#ixzz1Bc0Rj78q
I lived there from 2000-2006, so my info may be a bit dated, but here goes:

1. I never noticed one. I'm sure there are users and sellers, but I would guess that the problem in Houghton/Hancock is less than in other college towns or economically distressed areas.

2. 60k should be fine, unless you have unusually large non-discretionary expenses. Have you looked at home prices? Your mortgage will be lower or nonexistent.

3. You've answered your own question, it seems. Hockey? Yes. WINNING hockey? Some years will be better than others. Cooking will be a challenge if you like lots of fresh vegetables at all times of the year. Try the co-op in Hancock (expensive) and consider taking up gardening.

4. Not if you live in town. 2wd should be ok as long as it's front-wheel drive. They have plows and know how to use 'em. You will have to dig out your driveway after the plow passes, though.

5. Yes. There were at least 4 kinds of Lutheran churches in H/H when I was there: ELCA, Wisconsin Synod, Missouri Synod, and a peculiar cult-like local variant the name of which I forget. I would guess that Lutherans outnumber other Protestants in that area.

6. Yes, in moderation. If you don't want to set up an ice-fishing shanty, go to Petersen's (?) up on the hill and get some smoked whitefish.

Tip: Self-sufficiency applies to entertainment too. For best results, Learn how to make your own fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan