Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ocqueoc falls, the only waterfall in lower Michigan. Very pretty there.
Its beautiful, but dont go there on a nice summer day trying to get a picture, unless you dont mind 100 people in your shot..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:34 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Welcome aboard! I have to admit, I had to look up Ocqueoc.
LOL... I didn't. We went to look at a house over near there. I remembered it only because I was confused by my doubly confused GPS, it was dark, I was trying to find little bitty roads hidden by big, huge trees, and I saw the sign, and uttered forth with a hilarious, but most unfortunate attempt at the pronunciation.

My husband and son are still giggling about it a week later.

I sat for an hour that night obsessively trying to figure out the right, and proper way to pronounce it (and cursing my inner blonde joke).

Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Excellent hunting in that area. Things can get remote in a real hurry. Welcome back to the GREAT lake state.
GET remote?????

Only time driving up in Northern Michigan at night that I've been a little scared. It is VERY remote. Feels like you're in siberia....

Which is a shame, because I could see enough to know it's lovely.... Jaw droppingly so, but there were times I thought we were going to be found next spring, sad little skeletons.

Wow, there is some city girl still in there, isn't there?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM

275 posts, read 441,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Excellent hunting in that area. Things can get remote in a real hurry. Welcome back to the GREAT lake state.
Agreed, but we wouldn't know it from last year. The view from the deer blinds were completely unobstructed by deer. With tons of rain late into fall the corn was still standing, so the deer weren't moving. Most of the corn is already down, so we should have better luck this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ocqueoc falls, the only waterfall in lower Michigan. Very pretty there.
I grew up going to "The Falls". Going there now as an adult, I remember them being much bigger.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Its beautiful, but dont go there on a nice summer day trying to get a picture, unless you dont mind 100 people in your shot..lol
Saw some of what you're talking about when there in July. It cleared out nicely in the evening, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
LOL... I didn't. We went to look at a house over near there. I remembered it only because I was confused by my doubly confused GPS, it was dark, I was trying to find little bitty roads hidden by big, huge trees, and I saw the sign, and uttered forth with a hilarious, but most unfortunate attempt at the pronunciation.

My husband and son are still giggling about it a week later.

I sat for an hour that night obsessively trying to figure out the right, and proper way to pronounce it (and cursing my inner blonde joke).
LOL. My wife keeps wanting to add an extra "u" when trying to spell it.

Quote:
GET remote?????

Only time driving up in Northern Michigan at night that I've been a little scared. It is VERY remote. Feels like you're in siberia....

Which is a shame, because I could see enough to know it's lovely.... Jaw droppingly so, but there were times I thought we were going to be found next spring, sad little skeletons.

Wow, there is some city girl still in there, isn't there?
When we were kids my grandpa used to turn off the headlights when driving some of those back roads at night. What do I do the first time we took the boys up to see the place? That's right. Twenty years later it's still a bit unsettling. Nowhere in Ohio have I seen that kind of dark.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
When we were kids my grandpa used to turn off the headlights when driving some of those back roads at night. What do I do the first time we took the boys up to see the place? That's right. Twenty years later it's still a bit unsettling. Nowhere in Ohio have I seen that kind of dark.
Ya, I kept saying to my husband, if I didn't have the autoimmune disease, I'd love being over in that neck of the woods. I love stargazing, but... There will come a time when I will need more regular access to medical services, potentially even the emergency kind, and I'm hoping to find our forever home.

However I enjoyed our little wooded riverfront cabin during our home search... Once we have our home paid off, that's high on the wish list, I expect that general vicinity is a great, and stunning place to look....

Congratulations!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ya, I kept saying to my husband, if I didn't have the autoimmune disease, I'd love being over in that neck of the woods. I love stargazing, but... There will come a time when I will need more regular access to medical services, potentially even the emergency kind, and I'm hoping to find our forever home.

However I enjoyed our little wooded riverfront cabin during our home search... Once we have our home paid off, that's high on the wish list, I expect that general vicinity is a great, and stunning place to look....

Congratulations!
Good luck to you as you sort through your medical issues. I can certainly understand your need to stay close to "civilization".

Thank you.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Hello, all. I made a trip up to the house to do a bit more work, getting the place ready for when we move up in July. For anyone interested, here's a link to the blog we're maintaining to track the work we accomplish on the house.

Shangri La - Restoring Paradise

Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Some of you asked that I post here when I update the blog, and it's been a while since I've remembered to. Sorry about that.

We've finally decided on the date for the move to Ocqueoc. We're making the move the week of July 10th.

Here's the link for the blog, if anybody would like to get caught up.

Shangri La - Restoring Paradise

Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM

It's finally happening! We're beginning the move back home to Michigan. Our oldest son and I are moving up to the house in Ocqueoc this coming weekend. Our "official" move will take place the week of July 10th, but we're heading up a bit early to try to get some things ready. We need to get the last remaining "stuff" out of the basement, and we need to get a foundation poured for the newly purchased wood fired boiler.

I'll head back to Ohio for the week prior to July 10th. Our son will stay up in MI with a list of things to get done. He'll also be taking care of the dog so that she's not underfoot when we're loading the truck back in Ohio.

We're coming up on a year since the decision was made to do this. At times it felt like it would never get here, and at times it seemed like we didn't have enough time to get everything done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan