Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times

Advertisements

yeah like i said, government sterilization. stop them from having kids, but make it their own choice. its universal, no discrimination of race, class, etc. its anti abortion.

i don't think it has anything to do with the economy or jobs. these people were already in that state because they were raised by people who should have not had kids. that's the bottom line and always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
yeah like i said, government sterilization. stop them from having kids, but make it their own choice. its universal, no discrimination of race, class, etc. its anti abortion.

i don't think it has anything to do with the economy or jobs. these people were already in that state because they were raised by people who should have not had kids. that's the bottom line and always will be.
Project Prevention - Children Requiring a Caring Community

It's not a government program.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:

Libs would fight it as racism. Got to protect the right to kill life. Anyway possible.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Sweet, thank you. I love what this woman is doing. Signed up to volunteer.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Libs would fight it as racism. Got to protect the right to kill life. Anyway possible.
people who keep the red and blue fight going aren't doing anything productive. its time wasting and a waste of valuable energy. think about it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
people who keep the red and blue fight going aren't doing anything productive. its time wasting and a waste of valuable energy. think about it.
Thats how they keep control. If the people are fighting amoungst themselves they ignore the wrongdoings and stealing of those in charge.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM

336 posts, read 908,546 times
Quote:
I predict there is going to be a continued uptick in citizens arming themselves and getting CCW permits, and I am one of them. In the last month two people shot would-be criminals in Flint, one killed when he tried to rob a small store, another man shot by a woman when he broke into her home at night. We're going to see more stories like this in the coming year.
I admit I've considered it.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Thank goodness for the right to bear arms and protect yourself.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I admit I've considered it.
I have little experience with handguns (long guns yes), so I am going to start taking classes at a range in Burton. The NRA also offers a lot of classes, including CCW classes, you can check their website.

Everyone gun-savvy I know suggested taking classes and trying different firearms to get a feel for what you're comfortable with. The corneredcat website is awesome, very sensible, for all sorts of info especially pertaining to women and self-defense.

As far as the voluntary (or even temporary, with Depo-Provera) sterilization...I am all for it actually, but in real life not sure how it would work I think the reasons people have children are very complex and self-serving; what I read of that program doesn't indicate how they would combat that.

But it is not a bad thing. One theory of why NYC's crime rate dropped dramatically in the last 10+ years: because the easy availability of abortions led to, 20 years after the laws changed, to many fewer babies born to parents who were not ready for them. Mind you I am NOT saying abortion-as-birth-control is a good thing! But anything that makes young women, and young men, consider the decision to procreate a little harder is a good thing. Like those programs - even in Grand Blanc schools - where kids have to "care for" a fairly realistic doll that cries and wets itself.

Problem is, any such program will take many years to be realised and thus are not popular with politicians. I volunteer with an agency that deals with young women and children, and very few of the mothers (or fathers) are educated or have spent enough time in school to be exposed to any sort of programs addressing birth control, drug use, gangs, violence, and so on. Their primary sources of information and influence are similarly-uneducated peers and they cannot comprehend anything different as far as how to live their lives because they are not exposed to it.

Bottom line, in my opinion, any government or non-profit program that has any chance of success must start with kids, have an ongoing cradle-to-breeding age and beyond focus and be coupled with jobs or opportunities that are more attractive than a life of welfare, violence or gang involvement. And that will be very difficult to provide and maintain. The people who say that plenty of jobs will "fix" the hopelessness and violence in cities like Flint do not understand that "jobs" and "education" are unimportant and irrelevant concepts to many people. That may change if government support programs such as WIC are pulled from under peoples' feet but you can't do that without hurting children....so you can't do that.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM

336 posts, read 908,546 times
Quote:
I have little experience with handguns (long guns yes), so I am going to start taking classes at a range in Burton. The NRA also offers a lot of classes, including CCW classes, you can check their website.

Everyone gun-savvy I know suggested taking classes and trying different firearms to get a feel for what you're comfortable with. The corneredcat website is awesome, very sensible, for all sorts of info especially pertaining to women and self-defense.

As far as the voluntary (or even temporary, with Depo-Provera) sterilization...I am all for it actually, but in real life not sure how it would work I think the reasons people have children are very complex and self-serving; what I read of that program doesn't indicate how they would combat that.

I could see an education program for kids, but getting the government funding for voluntary sterlization...uh huh. I couldn't support that any more than I could support government funded abortions. The government is getting itself way too involved in our personal matters and they need to butt the ---- out.

But it is not a bad thing. One theory of why NYC's crime rate dropped dramatically in the last 10+ years: because the easy availability of abortions led to, 20 years after the laws changed, to many fewer babies born to parents who were not ready for them. Mind you I am NOT saying abortion-as-birth-control is a good thing! But anything that makes young women, and young men, consider the decision to procreate a little harder is a good thing. Like those programs - even in Grand Blanc schools - where kids have to "care for" a fairly realistic doll that cries and wets itself.

Problem is, any such program will take many years to be realised and thus are not popular with politicians. I volunteer with an agency that deals with young women and children, and very few of the mothers (or fathers) are educated or have spent enough time in school to be exposed to any sort of programs addressing birth control, drug use, gangs, violence, and so on. Their primary sources of information and influence are similarly-uneducated peers and they cannot comprehend anything different as far as how to live their lives because they are not exposed to it.

Bottom line, in my opinion, any government or non-profit program that has any chance of success must start with kids, have an ongoing cradle-to-breeding age and beyond focus and be coupled with jobs or opportunities that are more attractive than a life of welfare, violence or gang involvement. And that will be very difficult to provide and maintain. The people who say that plenty of jobs will "fix" the hopelessness and violence in cities like Flint do not understand that "jobs" and "education" are unimportant and irrelevant concepts to many people. That may change if government support programs such as WIC are pulled from under peoples' feet but you can't do that without hurting children....so you can't do that.
If government support programs are pulled they could increase funding for child welfare. If parents can't feed their children it's neglect and they are removed from the home until such a time that they can provide for them.

I've been a cheerleader for Flint for a long time. I still don't think it's Beruit like some people make it out to be, but I don't plan on being here much longer myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan