Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,986,877 times

Advertisements

I have noticed (and a number of folks are confirming) the nearly complete disappearance of Quagga and/or Zebra mussels in many Mason & Oceana county inland lakes and streams this year. The chatter suggests their absence has contributed to more cloudiness in the water, more cloudy in fact than pre-mussel times. Has anyone heard something about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,240,685 times
I posted this on the MI DNR facebook wall. See if anyone has any answers

Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,905,444 times
Haven't really noticed. I can't speak for Oceana County, but here in Mason County I haven't noticed any of the lakes or rivers I've been on being more cloudy. I'll have to take another look for the mussels as well. Last year they were almost gone compared to the year before, so I wouldn't doubt their numbers have dropped even more. The Pere Marquette, Lincoln, and Sable rivers are clear as a bell. Hamlin Lake, Crystal Lake (Hackert Lake for non-locals), Pere Marquette Lake, and Ordway Lake are just as clear as ever.

I'm going out Monday Morning to Pere Marquette Lake again and will look for the number of mussels.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Pentwater Lake and Bass Lake in particular have been very cloudy. Heard any talk about the diminishing numbers in the local papers? Your comments and those of others seem to confirm the drop in mussels started last year.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 PM

haven't seen or heard a thing about the drop in the number of Mussels. Didn't really think about it until I read your post. Then it struck me that last year they were almost all gone and I don't recall seeing ANY this year, but hesitate to say for sure until I go look again. I will update for sure Monday evening.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,240,685 times
I cut and pasted your question to the MDNR facebook page. Their response below

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Hi Giesela -- The DNR and DEQ have not previously received any reports about a significant decline of quagga or zebra mussels in Mason and Oceana counties, however, it is possible there could be a natural population reduction going on (which can happen once a population of organisms reaching too high a level for the habitat to support). If that is the case, there would be fewer mussels in coming years as well. If it is from seasonal conditions related to this year alone, then a long term reduction in numbers would not be likely. Mussels do filter water and increase clarity, so it would make sense that with fewer mussels, the water would become cloudier. Also, if the mussels are dying off, the material they have filtered from the water over the years would be released back into the water, making it even cloudier than what was considered normal before the mussels were present. This is basically speculation, since nothing has been confirmed or investigated in these lakes at this time. We appreciate the report and our aquatic biologists have recorded it. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Sorry, forgot all about his thread.

Went to Pere Marquette lake and dropped anchor in several places. Only pulled up one clump of about 15 mussels (which I dumped in the bottom of the boat to dispose of at the dump after they dry out totally.) That is a lot less than prior years. Didn't notice the lake any muddier though. I didn't see any clumps clinging to structure along the shore either. There were a few single one here and there, but far less than before.

Hamlin Lake I didn't see any mussels along the shore, but there never was too many there anyway.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I cut and pasted your question to the MDNR facebook page. Their response below
Thanks for the update. It seems the DNR is the last to know about these things.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,947,065 times
If anybody's in the area, the Traverse Bay waters at Greene Park beach were solid with them about 5-6 years ago. Haven't been there myself in a while.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,882,830 times
Haven't noticed them, actually.

I've also noticed that Purple Loose Strife (flowery weed) is back in force in a lot of the wetland areas, but no one seems to care now. A few years ago entire areas were being cleared of the stuff, roots and all. Probably its own topic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan