Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM

32 posts, read 96,610 times

Advertisements

Well I've heard things are rough in MI and the U.P for jobs but...just thought I'd ask, I'm a high school science teacher in MT. My fiance and I live in MT and like it here, but its rather arid and she's from the Northeast and really misses trees, lakes and all that. We both are only able to live in rural areas, for reasons of sanity really...so we've been looking into the U.P., because its such a beautiful place, has mainly small towns, and lots of winter (we actually love winter!).

Any info. would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM

760 posts, read 2,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
Well I've heard things are rough in MI and the U.P for jobs but...just thought I'd ask, I'm a high school science teacher in MT. My fiance and I live in MT and like it here, but its rather arid and she's from the Northeast and really misses trees, lakes and all that. We both are only able to live in rural areas, for reasons of sanity really...so we've been looking into the U.P., because its such a beautiful place, has mainly small towns, and lots of winter (we actually love winter!).

Any info. would be great, thanks!
Google the Michigan Talent Bank for jobs. Pick either Marquette, Escanaba, Houghton, Ste. Sault Marie, and click on the search within 100 mile radius.

I didn't find anything in the marquette area when I looked just now, but I didn't check the other ones. Other then that I would google the newspapers for each of those towns and keep an eye on the help wanteds

Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks, I will try that. Also I'm wondering if anyone who lives in the U.P. can tell me about the teaching job situation, if there are openings often? I know in MT there is a lot of turnover...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
iva

24 posts, read 84,207 times
I very much much doubt there is a turnover on teaching jobs. Yoopers, on the most part, hold tight to their employment. Many young people must part from their beloved UP to find jobs...
Yoopers take education seriously. They are a rugged lot. I am referring to the cost of living, low wages, extreme weather. They deal with adversities that would make most sensible non-yoopers take the fastest dog sled team and hightail it over THE BRIDGE( The one that connects Yoopers to The World of Trolls)
Or, dey might take da udder one if they legal.
Read the history books and discover the true story about the OHIO FOOLS who accepted Wackson's-Jackson's timeless-touted-trophy-title to the turd-turfed Toledo Troll Trade. Whereby, the Great Wilderness slipped through their enormous ignorant fingers...and the Yoopers went about their Superior business.
Read about the rugged WILD AREA'S, which.... pretty much means everywhere.
Read about the Miners and the copper mines across the ranges...Woodsmen and daily winter life of snow, snow, snow.
Blowin' snow, icy snow, snow coming at ya and piling high above stop signs, almost up to the house top, snow loaded buildings collapsing(common) Weather beaten house that look almost as old as the Woodens at Copper Harbor...
Buy one of those impressively cheap houses but you better make DARN sure you can afford the water bill before you flush your toilet. Having it tight? Not the cheeks, the pocketbook? Put your family on Bucket Brigade.
Good at making wood? Plenty for the taking in the State forests but check with the Yooper Law first ...Woods yours for the taking. Keep
Read, go on line learn about The Great Superior Nation. And by god, don't you EVER make the mistake of EVEN thinking that Yoopers are a backward people. Backwoods, yeah, but HUGE difference, eh?
Yes, they're a rugged lot. Work hard, play hard and love hard and FAST....WHOOSH! Thinks for a Troll to do before sneaking across the bridge...EDUCATE your uneducated brain on Yooper Ways. Books on mining, small town living and how a Troll must learn to live without friends in the LAND of The Snow And Forest PEOPLES. (unless, of course, you can buy your way to Adjustments.
Then you won't ever be lonely( even though we aren't REALLY your friends! Naaaaw, we're just usin' ya, cause you got that extra jingle. And besides, we're taking bets on how looooong you'll last before the elements blast you blazin' bonkers...
Meanwhile, first law is that Trolls have ta pony-up and buy the first round, then next and so forth...Meet you at seven, how 'bout at the dew drop inn. No, seven A.M. ,Troll Breath!

Last edited by iva; 01-07-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: wrong info

Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Well iva, you clearly did not take advantage of your good education. Your post is so ignorant it's hard to know where to start. You can read right? Then you'd see that I'm from MONTANA, not across the bridge, if you were to look at a map you'd see I could drive straight to the U.P. from here without ever crossing "da Bridge".
As for your other blather, once again- MONTANA- it actually has quite a few mines, thats why its called the Treasure state- not because of pirates. And there is snow and we cut plenty of wood, and we hunt things other than deer.
Also, I don't think hitting the bar at 7AM is something to be proud of...thanks for wasting my time and the time of whoever else made the mistake of reading your post, troll.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
Well iva, you clearly did not take advantage of your good education. Your post is so ignorant it's hard to know where to start. You can read right? Then you'd see that I'm from MONTANA, not across the bridge, if you were to look at a map you'd see I could drive straight to the U.P. from here without ever crossing "da Bridge".
As for your other blather, once again- MONTANA- it actually has quite a few mines, thats why its called the Treasure state- not because of pirates. And there is snow and we cut plenty of wood, and we hunt things other than deer.
Also, I don't think hitting the bar at 7AM is something to be proud of...thanks for wasting my time and the time of whoever else made the mistake of reading your post, troll.
Iva was just displaying typical yooper humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was meant to be funny!! That's how people joke around up here!! If you knew anything about our beloved U.P. you would understand that. Maybe she did put it on a little thick but it is very typical fare around these parts.
Lighten up man or you will NEVER fit in up here!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
iva

24 posts, read 84,207 times
Talking THANKS jeeg !

Thanks jeeg! It was meant to be humorous!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iva View Post

Thanks jeeg! It was meant to be humorous!
I don't know ya but I understood ya!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Well ok I apologize if I took it wrong, but I don't think I did...and I wanted some info...not negative humor...I have an open mind about things, so I don't appreciate it when folks have a closed mind towards me...
This thread is obviously not going to be much use, so I'll try elsewhere, thanks for those who tried...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM

I gave you all the information you're likely to find unless you start calling individual schools districts. Good jobs are very hard to find up here and almost always go to the locals. You seem a little uptight anyhow, I think you would be happier elsewhere then with us negative humored yoopers. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan