Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,884 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I will do an internship in Wyandotte, MI, for three months in winter. I'm wondering where I should live during this time. I thought about Ann Arbour or Livonia, but I don't know if it's too far to commute every day(especially in winter?)? What do you think? How long would it take?

I couldn't find any furnished apartements for short-term lease in Wyandotte itself. If you can help me with that - so much the better!
I appreciate your answers!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I don't know anything about furnished apartments in Wyandotte, but they are predicting a hard (read: lots of snow) winter for SE Michigan this year, so the commute from Ann Arbor would be very tough. It takes close to an hour on a good day during rush hour. Factor in snow and accidents caused by the snow slowing down traffic, and you would be on the road for hours on bad weather days, something I'm sure you don't want to do. Livonia is not much closer, so ditto that.

There are some nice communities near Wyandotte, including Wyandotte itself, but places like Grosse Ile probably won't have furnished apartments, since they are largely single family residential. There are some parts of Dearborn that are very nice, primarily in the western side of town. There are probably going to be a lot of apartments to choose from there as well. Allen Park has some very nice areas too. Most of the Downriver communities such as Melvindale, Lincoln Park, and especially River Rouge and Ecorse I would stay away from, they're somewhat rough. Trenton is pretty nice, but I don't know what they would offer in the way of apartments.

Craigslist might be a good place to start to look for a furnished apartment.

As a female, if I were going to live alone and commute to Wyandotte, I would look in western Dearborn, Trenton, Allen Park, or Wyandotte itself.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Keep looking in Wyandotte. If you have to, just get some furniture at Salvation Army stores or yard sales or Craigslist. You can make temporary furniture out of milk crates if you have to. We used them for years. Wyandotte is a neat city to live in if you do not have kids, especially if you live downtown.

It does not make sense that you cannot find something close. There are rental places all over Wyandotte, Trenton, Woodhaven, Southgate, and Riverview. All are decent places to live and close to Wyandotte. Grosse Ile has a few rentals, rarely furnished and never cheap. However there is a 3 Br house on the water that was renting for 1200/month I think the owners just did not know that they were way low.

Parts of Allen Park are decent and even parts of Lincoln Park. Flat Rock is small and empty-ish, but does have some apartments. If schools are not an issue, parts fo Taylor are not bad.

Dearborn can take as long to get to Wyandotte as Livonia or even Plymouth. Much of it is not very accessible. We live in grosse Ile and it takes my daughter longer to get to school or work in Dearborn, than it takes me to get to Downtown Detroit.

You could even go all the way down to Monroe, but you are getting into a commute.

I cannot imagine why a young person with no kids working in Wyandotte would live anywhere but Wyandotte. It is one of the livelier suburbs.

You could also look at Downtown or Midtown Detroit. It is a little bit of a commute, but not bad and you woudl be opposite traffic.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Wyandotte usually has a ton of rentals or "flats" as what the locals called them. Furnished probably not. Get some used stuff or go to IKEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan