Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the United States heading for a derpression?
We will go into a depression 17 42.50%
Looks like we just may go into a depression 12 30.00%
I am hopful we can avoid a depression 9 22.50%
Not possible for the United states to go into depression. 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM

86 posts, read 93,635 times

Advertisements

I was watching Bloomberg this morning. The economists are now talking Depression. Many people have tried to deny a recession. Now that there is no way to deny this will they deny that it is possible to go into a depression? I heard Rush say yesterday that this economy is not nearly as bad as the recession of the 80s. I think that is because he squarely put that one on Jimmy Carters shoulders, and this one Bush as to shoulder at minimum some of the blame. But I feel from what I have seen that this is much worse than the 80s recession. I know Michigan is hurting worse than it did in the 80s. What are some opinions out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:33 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Depression

Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 AM

541 posts, read 985,244 times
recession leads to depression
depression leads to oppression
oppression leads to aggression
aggression leads to.......

Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Any economics students out there know the technical definition for "depression" vs. prolonged recession? There has to be some kind of defining economic measurement.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I think we are in for a dark ride. Worldwide. Would YOU open a business now???? I know many who no long use banks.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
A guy on NPR made an interesting distinction -- he said it's not a recession OR a depression, it's a "banking crisis." Problem is he said the latter is worse than either of the former.'

He also said there IS no clear dividing line between recession and depression. People in authority have just been using the word "recession" the past few times around this mulberry bush because A) all the more recent ones have been less severe than the Great Depression of the 1930s and B) keeping morale up is important at a time like this. Consumer confidence goes a long way towards stimulating the economy, and the word 'depression" scares people to death of course.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A guy on NPR made an interesting distinction -- he said it's not a recession OR a depression, it's a "banking crisis." Problem is he said the latter is worse than either of the former.'

He also said there IS no clear dividing line between recession and depression. People in authority have just been using the word "recession" the past few times around this mulberry bush because A) all the more recent ones have been less severe than the Great Depression of the 1930s and B) keeping morale up is important at a time like this. Consumer confidence goes a long way towards stimulating the economy, and the word 'depression" scares people to death of course.
I think that's one of the problems. All this outsourcing in the name of "free trade" has resulted in our economy being too heavily weighed now on consumer spending (2/3's of the economy last I read). So 2/3's of our economic engine relies on us spending money, and our attitudes about spending money, rather than producing goods and services that people outside this country want or need.

I found one definition that says a drop of 10% or more in GNP is considered a depression.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
We are in a, clear, downward spiral with no sign of the bottom yet. The problem is jobs. There aren't any. When people aren't working, they cut back spending that results in even more lay offs and those people cut back spending and so on and so on and so on. I fear we'll flounder for several years before this even hints at turning around and then it will be because people have gone so long without spending they have no choice but to replace cars, appliances, clothes, whatever the case may be and then they'll shop used first which will drive up the prices of used goods.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We are in a, clear, downward spiral with no sign of the bottom yet. The problem is jobs. There aren't any. When people aren't working, they cut back spending that results in even more lay offs and those people cut back spending and so on and so on and so on. I fear we'll flounder for several years before this even hints at turning around and then it will be because people have gone so long without spending they have no choice but to replace cars, appliances, clothes, whatever the case may be and then they'll shop used first which will drive up the prices of used goods.
That's exactly right. When your job depends on me spending money, and my job depends on you spending money, something is terribly wrong with the system.

And to think that they're talking about opening up even more free trade agreements with Central America. Free trade is great when you're at the bottom or in the middle. If you're at the top (United States), equilibrium equals only one thing, downward pressure.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 PM

147 posts, read 522,402 times
In Michigan...we've BEEN in a depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan