Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Actually, not as bad of a deal as you would think. Ohio is an at fault state. When I lived there, my now ex-husband was rear ended. Not only was EVERYTHING (damages, lost wages, medical plus "settlement") paid for quickly, but they were extremely pleasant to deal with AND it didn't get reflected on his driving record. The payout was actually a more rounded payout than what Michigan offers in a similar situation as MI doesn't have the settlement.
Does your husband they medical coverage for life????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
Default One reason MI has high insurance rates

No one on this forum has mentioned the other side of this debate. If you are in another state that lacks no-fault and you have a catastrophic accident (which some are) you are SOL. Car accidents are responsible for half of all spinal cord injuries and many brain injuries. Either condition might cost up to $1-2 million (yes, that is a million) over a lifetime.

With no-fault, your medical bills are covered, as is rehabilitation services that might actually get you back to a point where you can work for a living again. (I know this from working in a rehab. medical unit). Without this kind of auto insurance someone in an accident will become bankrupt from medical bills, get lousy rehabilitation and probably never work again. So if you or someone you care about is in a accident like this, no fault is a god-send. IMHO it's worth having higher rates.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
No one on this forum has mentioned the other side of this debate. If you are in another state that lacks no-fault and you have a catastrophic accident (which some are) you are SOL. Car accidents are responsible for half of all spinal cord injuries and many brain injuries. Either condition might cost up to $1-2 million (yes, that is a million) over a lifetime.

With no-fault, your medical bills are covered, as is rehabilitation services that might actually get you back to a point where you can work for a living again. (I know this from working in a rehab. medical unit). Without this kind of auto insurance someone in an accident will become bankrupt from medical bills, get lousy rehabilitation and probably never work again. So if you or someone you care about is in a accident like this, no fault is a god-send. IMHO it's worth having higher rates.
Yes......I did point that but, not as well as you did.

My husband is going on 13 years of no fault benefits.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM

104 posts, read 241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
If you are in one of those states and are without PIP and can't afford the cost of your medical attention, it would be everyone else in the general population who ends up paying for the care, no? Especially in a case in Michigan where the MCCA claim amount would come into effect, in a state with at-fault laws and a driver with very little PIP on their insurance, in Michigan we would be paying into the pool beforehand (MCCA), whereas those other people would need to rely on public welfare if they cannot afford their injuries.

I am just trying to fully understand this...

But, with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act going into effect with the individual mandate provision, essentially what happens is everyone is made to carry health insurance, right?

I guess the quality of that insurance might be in question, but doesn't that somewhat negate the need for the MCCA? I get the feeling if you are severely injured to the point of racking up $500,000+ in medical bills (at which point MCCA kicks in), insurance would have to cover your claim as the injuries would likely be severe enough as to demand lifelong care.

So, if we still have the MCCA and mandated PIP coverage after the individual mandate kicks in, isn't it sort of a double dip?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
Driller 1, didn't realize you are directly affected by this! Bet you know what a difference the coverage makes..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 PM

349 posts, read 887,810 times
Default Definitely higher - and PIP is the main reason

My car insurance went from 54/mo to 105/mo because MI requires the Personal Injury Protection coverage. That's it...

I moved to MI temporarily and yes, sticker shock!!!

Any insurance agent should be able to have explained that easily to their customer

Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
A big part of the reason car insurance is so high is because mass transit is so **** poor in Michigan (after all, it's home to the MOTOR city), so if everybody and their mommy needs to get around, they must use a automobile, which puts more people that shouldn't be driving in the first place on the roads.

Then of course, there's the fact that Snydely repealed the helmet law.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
The most and least expensive states for car insurance in 2013 | Insure.com

The article shows average annual premium for car insurance in Michigan is $2,520. Where do these numbers come from? I have had used cars with collision and comprehensive for about $1000 a year. I also had a new crossover with MSRP of $40K last year and full insurance was about $1,400 a year. My current 8-year old Saab had just the basic insurance and I am only paying around $400 a year. That includes the $175 mandatory charge.

Who is actually paying $2,520 a year? If it is an average, many must even pay more?
Those who live significantly south of Boyne City.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
I moved here from Florida 3 years ago. My homeowners insurance is cheaper up here in Michigan compared to Florida. My Auto is more than Double in Michigan though! I paid 500 a year, now it's 1500.... for 1 car!! Not good! I found a good agent in Okemos though. He saved me a ton. got me back around 900 a year. With better coverage!! It's all about finding the right agent that will put in the time to get you the best price. I went through 5 other people getting me quotes, but he was the best. He works at Allstate insurance. Here is his email if anyone wants to give him a try. [EMAIL="LLindstedt@allstate.com"]LLindstedt@allstate.com[/EMAIL]. He saved me 400 on my home aswell. Almost $85 per month!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM

111 posts, read 148,215 times
Car insurance has gotten incredibly ridiculous.A 20 year old rusty car barely functioning still will be insured for about 1000 dollars a year and that is one way coverage bare minimum and no points.Mind you it is with the cheapest company.I do think that Michigan drivers are crazy though and there is terrible traffic but that could be anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan