Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I don't know if you intrested in this but Mr. Hughes was part of my family. My father has told me several stories of Chuck taking him around to the other players on his team and the other teams as well. My dad was telling me about Chuck passing away and my aunt's reaction to her husband death. My dad said he remembers Dick Butkus telling the family about what happened on the field. Our family has memorial booklet from his funeral and my dad has a few pictures of him and Chuck.

If you need more info cantact me at [EMAIL="emt21560@yahoo.com"]emt21560@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,159 times
I was 11 years old and watching the game on tv at my house in Illinois. I remember seeing him being carted off the field. The crowd was silent and the announcers were stunned so I knew that this was an extremely serious situation. At the end of broadcast, I could hear the frightening wail of the amblance siren. Later that night at church, I heard one of the men say that "that guy who was injured during the Bear`s game died".

Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,727 times
I was 12 years old and lived in Chicago and watching my Bears game, and saw the whole thing on TV. To my recollection, he jumped up in the air and I seem to remember he came down on Dick Butkus" shoulder pad , they showed the replay several times before anyone knew how serious it really was. I will never forget it, and it sticks out in my mind like it was yesterday. God bless his family......

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
I was at the game in at Tiger Stadium when Chuck Hughes died. I don't have any "proof", such as a ticket stub or anything like that. But I vividly recall the game and the play near the end of the game when Hughes died.

I was there with my father-in-law, who died in 1994. I was only 26 years old; I'm now 64. My father-in-law, Tom Jordan, worked for a company called Detrex Chemical, and the company had some tickets and Tom had asked me to accompany him to the game. We sat in the end zone, which in the old Tiger Stadium was left field for the baseball park. When the lions were trying to score to tie the game they were marching away from us --- toward what would be the first base side of the stadium. I recall seeing Butkus line up in the defense, facing us. That image still stands out in my mind. I don't know what yard-line the Lions were lined up on, but I do recall being able to see Dick Butkus vividly. When Hughes fell, Butkus was in fact the one who went to him and signaled for the staff to get out onto the field. We in the stands all thought Butkus had "hit" Hughes, either during or after the play. But in fact, he was just trying to help.

Bill Baker

Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
I was a 13-year old boy living in El Paso when Chuck Hughes played at Texas Western College. He was a fabulous athlete making leaping acrobatic pass catches. I watched all their home games and listened to their away games. Chuck made a tremendous open field block in a miracle play that led to a last second victory against Utah. He was a big part of the golden years of athletics (mid-1960s) when TWC had great football teams with players like Hughes, George Daney, Fred Carr, Charlie West, Billy Stevens, Bob Wallace, and others. They also won the 1966 NCAA basketball championship and had championship track teams. TWC was an integrated school with black athletes long before other Texas schools changed their policies. I loved those years watching the Miners. Doug Bovard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan