Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 9,465 times

Advertisements

I was was laid off from my full time job (separating employer) 12-18-13. I also worked at a retail store starting in September of 2013. This was a seasonal part-time job (12 to 16 hours per week) to end after the holiday. This was not my primary source of income and I did not depend on this income to pay my bills. I quit this the part time job a few days later to focus on finding another full time job. I was at my primary job 8 years. Since being laid off from my primary employer I returned to college to complete my degree starting the winter semester of 2014. I filled out my Financial Aid forms in the summer of 2013 and I was awarded $2,630 for the winter semester of school. I had already signed the promissory note and necessary paperwork prior to being laid off from my full time job. I quit the part time job to focus on finding another full time job and complete my degree. I would have been forced to quit my part time job anyway because I could not have taken evening classes or would have been laid off after January. I still am able to work full time and I am focused on finding another full time. I have never collected unemployment before and I was unaware that I would be disqualified for quitting a part-time job. I feel like I am being penalized for returning to school and focusing on looking for a full time job. This situation and denial of unemployment benefits has caused me significant financial hardship and the possible loss of my home and car. Please tell me what I can do here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM

24 posts, read 56,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missfame25 View Post
I was was laid off from my full time job (separating employer) 12-18-13. I also worked at a retail store starting in September of 2013. This was a seasonal part-time job (12 to 16 hours per week) to end after the holiday. This was not my primary source of income and I did not depend on this income to pay my bills. I quit this the part time job a few days later to focus on finding another full time job. I was at my primary job 8 years. Since being laid off from my primary employer I returned to college to complete my degree starting the winter semester of 2014. I filled out my Financial Aid forms in the summer of 2013 and I was awarded $2,630 for the winter semester of school. I had already signed the promissory note and necessary paperwork prior to being laid off from my full time job. I quit the part time job to focus on finding another full time job and complete my degree. I would have been forced to quit my part time job anyway because I could not have taken evening classes or would have been laid off after January. I still am able to work full time and I am focused on finding another full time. I have never collected unemployment before and I was unaware that I would be disqualified for quitting a part-time job. I feel like I am being penalized for returning to school and focusing on looking for a full time job. This situation and denial of unemployment benefits has caused me significant financial hardship and the possible loss of my home and car. Please tell me what I can do here?
I'm sorry, but rule number 1 is do not quit your job until you find another. If most people can look for another job and find it while working FULL TIME, then there's no excuse for you not being able to do the same while working part time. I'm on the state's side with this one.

Hit all the job boards and if necessary, go back to working part time to make ends meet until you are able to find a new full time job.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
What should you do?

APPEAL...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Can't you use your laid off status from your full time job to qualify for unemployment? (Your income from the part time job would reduce you unemployment benefits though, so you couldn't collect the full amount.)

Word to the wise: file for unemployment immediate after you lose your job. Don't wait.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM

That is what I was thinking. I worked at my full time job for eight years and I have never had to deal with unemployment before. I thought that I would still be elgible for unemployment based on my full time job. The retail job was seasonal and I would have been forced to quit anyway. After the holiday they were going to cut hours. I would not have intentionally disqualified my self from unemployment. I was entitled to the max amount based on based on my full time . I am not trying to get over on "the system" I have worked my whole adult life and have never been through anything like this before. I just want to appeal this so they can reconsider. They are not even considering the job that laid me off. If this never happens again I know next time not to quit a job. I just want to know what my chances are?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Would it be a good idea to go back to the part time job to qualify for umemployment from the job that I was laid off at? I just so confused

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Would it be a good idea to go back to the part time job to qualify for umemployment from the job that I was laid off at? I just so confused

NO...I would either contact UIA and schedule a hearing / appeal or contact a laywer who specializes in UIA benefits...

nd ALWAYS file ASAP when you have been separated from a full-time position...

Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
you can appeal it but it will be hard to get unemployment if you quit your job.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
It would be a good idea for you to take any job you can instead of collecting unemployment. I understand you want to focus on a full time job. Maybe you can let your temporary employer know that. You also want to avoid employment gaps on your resume if you can.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM

I understand that it would be very hard to appeal because I quit the part time job but is there a way they can base the unemployment on my full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan