Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,540 times

Advertisements

What cities and/or zip codes in the Metro Detroit area have a high quality of life? By QOL I mean an overall clean area, low trash around the streets, clean water, good roads, good/low traffic, good schools, etc.

Last edited by TheTerminator; 11-04-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,611,480 times
Haha, good roads. That's completely nonexistent in Michigan even in the most affluent of areas. Not really sure what's defined as "good traffic" since pretty much everywhere will have traffic unless you're out in the boonies. Also water is pretty much the same all over the state unless you're drinking well water, but even then that's pretty clean.

But anyway, the city of highest QOL would probably be Bloomfield Hills. Then draw a line directly northeast and southwest to find suburbs of similar quality.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 PM
chh

420 posts, read 654,236 times
There's plenty of rich detroit suburbs. The nicest would probably be bloomfield townhship, or West bloomfield township. If you're looking for ones that aren't quite as rich, look at Troy or royal oak area.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,321,360 times
For me it would be the northwestern suburbs such as Plymouth, Northville, Wixom, and Novi. That area is lovely.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,740,496 times
Birmingham is probably my favorite!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,500,336 times
As you see, everyone has their preference of suburbs. Some like a country-ish feel like South Lyon and others prefer older homes and classic architecture, like Birmingham. Most of the upper-crust burbs have been mentioned on here, but graphing the $/square foot for different suburbs on Zillow will give you your answer.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,853,606 times
There's a difference between standard of living and quality of life. BIG difference.

Suburbs like Bloomfield Hills and West Bloomfield clearly have high standards of living, but quality of life? Not by my standards, and I say that as someone who worked in WB for years. Birmingham is better since it's a more walkable community with a downtown area and actual signs of life.

However, I much prefer Plymouth and Northville. But my top choice is Ann Arbor. Though it's not a big place, Ann Arbor is the shining star of Metro Detroit, imo.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,611,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
However, I much prefer Plymouth and Northville. But my top choice is Ann Arbor. Though it's not a big place, Ann Arbor is the shining star of Metro Detroit, imo.
Although it's not apart of Metro Detroit. And Ann Arborites would actually get pretty offended at you for saying so. It's economy is completely independent of Metro Detroit's.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,853,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Although it's not apart of Metro Detroit. And Ann Arborites would actually get pretty offended at you for saying so. It's economy is completely independent of Metro Detroit's.
Yeah, you're right; I'm cheating. And I certainly don't want to offend Ann Arborites, but no other place in Metro Detroit comes close to it, quite frankly.

If I must play by the rules, then Northville gets my vote.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,754 times
Yeah, ann arbor is the most progressive liberal city in michigan - not exactly part of the detroit metro orbit. its unique really. Its the only and best place for tree huggers, hippies, geeks/nerds and techies. Its still part of the staid midwest though, so even a conservative repulbican would be OK with it.

As for detroit metro proper:
1. birmingham - walkable but too tony and arrogant - a great place to be still. congested.
2. bloomfield hills - rich and beautiful but the yards are so big that you dont get to know your neighbors
3. rochester hills - quite rich, comfy but a bit boring. Same goes for troy
4. St clair towns - old rich
5. Royal oak - long considered a more progressive liberal version of birmingham. Nowadays, it has gentrified itself right out of that and is too much like birmingham. Congested.
6. Berkely - kind of like Royal oak used to be. Same goes for ferndale - too close to the hood though.
7. Clarkston - a good mix of professionls and blue collars. Closer to state land and green belt, less congested. A bit boring though and no good restaurants.

For me, Ann arbor and the northern washtenaw county take the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan