Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,562 times

Advertisements

hello,

i currently live w/ people in the detroit metro area, but i want to live on my own now.

I am looking to move out of my current living situation. I have $3000 in the bank. I get a $1000 paycheck every two weeks. I am looking to buy an RV and live in the detroit metro area.

I want to find a vacant lot that i can rent for under $300 a month. i don't want to buy a mobile home, i just want to live in my RV full time.

What are my options. if anyone could offer insight that would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 13,704 times
Some trailer parks have a few spots reserved specifically for RV's. $300/mo might be hard to find though - unless its a lower quality park. Or go to check out the flint area, lots of empty mobilehome/RV spots over there.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Not in Metro Detroit that I know of. Living in an RV is not allowed in most parks or the state. There are some parks that "give" you a trailer and you have to fix it up. Most have rent that is very low for the first year then increases to around $450-$500.

Most arks in the metro area are probably between $550 and $750 depending on any deals you might get.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:21 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
An option requiring legwork, would be to find land under private ownership and an owner willing to accommodate you for a little extra money - but, what utilities will you need? That's a deciding factor.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,134 times
Hello,

I know it's been a while since you originally posted this, and I was wondering if you found anywhere that was in your price range. I was surprised to find this posting, I'm looking to do the same thing myself.

Hopefully a future neighbor,
Leah.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Leah, give this lots and lots of thought before taking the leap. RVs have horrible insulation compared to houses or mobile homes, and they're not on a foundation with a basement or crawl space. Propane is very expensive, especially in smaller quantities, and you'll need a LOT of it to keep warm and keep your water pipes from freezing. At the very least you'll want a "4-season" RV with insulated skirting and insulated everything else! You'll want auxiliary heat -- probably electric -- but don't rely on it, as the built-in propane furnace needs to run to keep your "basement" above freezing.

It's a tough job to keep an RV from freezing up throughout the long, cold, windy weather that we in the northern climates experience. It's not cheap either. Your heat bill would equal or exceed the cost of renting a small apartment, and you'll be fighting frozen pipes for at least a few months. Can it be done? Absolutely. But I don't recommend it.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 AM

156 posts, read 162,848 times
At least you can get out fast when it takes that final dump. Detroit OMG who would live in that pit? I think Syria would be a better bet.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger4u View Post
At least you can get out fast when it takes that final dump. Detroit OMG who would live in that pit? I think Syria would be a better bet.
Sorry Chigger but you're wrong about Detroit! The city is undergoing an amazing transformation since the bankruptcy was announced in 2013. My wife and I relocated here in the summer of 2013 and we've been restoring historic homes and living full time (4 season) in our Airstream. I encourage everyone considering Detroit to make the leap. News agencies only report bad news to sell papers and support their ad-generated revenue model but I can assure you that Detroit has a LOT of great neighborhoods that are very safe. It's a classic American city that is coming back fast and you'll find a quality of life here you can't find anywhere else (for the price). Best of luck in your quest for RV living! For everyone else, hurry up and check out Detroit!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2keepitstraight View Post
Detroit sucks, it has for a long time. Yes there is a small area that is being regenerated but past that few blocks is thug nigizerang ville and DETROIT SUCKS
Man shut you racist skinhead ass up. Fuc*ing redneck troll. You should worry more about getting running water in your hillbilly backwater town so you and your mom/cousin and dad/brother don't have to go down to the Piggly Wiggly (your favorite hangout) to get water for your weekly bath before you worry about what's going on in Detroit. Another racist coward hiding behind a keyboard .

Old 09-09-2015, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,820 times
Have you looked into Tiny House living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan