Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:18 AM

119 posts, read 207,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,we're on a search for the right place to move to.My family and I live in NJ,it's crowded,expensive($6000 property taxes for a modest house on an acre),people tend to be rude and self-centered and we want out.I manage a gun department in an independent outdoor store and also have a small landscape/snowplow business.I have a customer who's family is from Michigan,as soon as he and his wife retire there going to move to Grand Rapids.He said the cost of living is less and people are really friendly.We are looking for a safe,friendly place to raise our family.I know Michigan has great homeschool laws.We like snow,trees,hills,the outdoors and fishing.We want to be part of the community,we're not interested in bringing NJ with us.Any suggestion please what might be a good place for us?Thank you all for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Hi,we're on a search for the right place to move to.My family and I live in NJ,it's crowded,expensive($6000 property taxes for a modest house on an acre),people tend to be rude and self-centered and we want out.I manage a gun department in an independent outdoor store and also have a small landscape/snowplow business.I have a customer who's family is from Michigan,as soon as he and his wife retire there going to move to Grand Rapids.He said the cost of living is less and people are really friendly.We are looking for a safe,friendly place to raise our family.I know Michigan has great homeschool laws.We like snow,trees,hills,the outdoors and fishing.We want to be part of the community,we're not interested in bringing NJ with us.Any suggestion please what might be a good place for us?Thank you all for any help.
You already mentioned Grand Rapids... I think that would be a great place to start. There is enough snowfall in the winter to keep your snowplows running, and the job market there is the best you can find in Michigan right now. If you intend to keep doing the snowplow thing, the west side of the state will be better due to lake effect snowfall. I would focus on Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, and maybe Traverse City to start. Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids are better for jobs and cost of living. Traverse City wins in the natural beauty department. Good luck! It sounds like you would fit in well in western MI.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 AM

301 posts, read 823,942 times
A mild cautionary note - while Michigan's overall property taxes are generally lower than New Jerseys (and, yes, I'm being a bit vague on purpose because property taxes are all about location, location, location even within a state), they are not "remarkably" lower. Be sure and research your chosen area carefully.

We do have one of the highest income tax ratings of all the states - and sales taxes can be high.

We also have lots of water, unending green trees, plenty of recreation places and spaces, friendly people - you would be welcomed!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM

I see you are also considering several other states for relocation - good for you! It's a tricky balance to find just the right spot and "one size doesn't not fit all". Since you manage a gun dept. I don't need to remind you to check state gun laws in all the states you are researching - lol! (btw - Michigan's aren't all that bad)

Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 PM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
A mild cautionary note - while Michigan's overall property taxes are generally lower than New Jerseys (and, yes, I'm being a bit vague on purpose because property taxes are all about location, location, location even within a state), they are not "remarkably" lower. Be sure and research your chosen area carefully.

We do have one of the highest income tax ratings of all the states - and sales taxes can be high.

We also have lots of water, unending green trees, plenty of recreation places and spaces, friendly people - you would be welcomed!
Actually, Michigan is one of the lowest. # 37
State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

Further, take into account that most states have an additional local sales tax as well as many states tax groceries where Michigan does not, and you will find that we an even lower sales tax burden than the above link shows.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Actually, Michigan is one of the lowest. # 37
State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

Further, take into account that most states have an additional local sales tax as well as many states tax groceries where Michigan does not, and you will find that we an even lower sales tax burden than the above link shows.
Good to see our sales tax rates are competitive.

We still don't fare as well in income taxes - 2015

Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 PM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Good to see our sales tax rates are competitive.

We still don't fare as well in income taxes - 2015
That site is spinning facts as it appears to be including city income taxes. Most of Michigan dose not have a city income tax, how ever a large number of the states residents live in areas that do have city income taxes. Because of this, the numbers can get skewed and misleading. Stay away from Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint and Ann Arbor and your taxes will be much less.

Check out this site. - Michigan is number 11 for the lowest rates:
Top State Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
I was in NJ. I think MI would seem like heaven by comparison. As long as you have a job. People may seem withdrawn if you come from the South or "Joysey", but (generally) very polite, considerate, and, once you get to know them & break the ice, great friends. I think people from the upstate NY are also like this.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Another cautionary tale - especially with having vehicles on the road. What Michigan doesn't make in taxes is more than made up in auto insurance premiums. The sticker shock can knock your socks off.

But, overall, I would say MI is very different than NJ.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM

112 posts, read 212,727 times
We moved to Michigan about four years ago. We home school and Michigan is a friendly home schooling state. One of the best that way. We found property taxes are high, especially in certain areas as people already mentioned. Research the area you want to live for property taxes. Big differences. Sales tax is 6%. Income tax is 4.25% As one fellow said, car insurance is ridiculous. They have a surcharge here for MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association) on each vehicle and it is a no-fault insurance state.

If you do move here find a place that has natural gas for heat. Propane is expensive here. We are fortunate to live in the country but there happens to be a natural gas line on our road.

I have heard the cost of living is high in NJ so Michigan might be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan