Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times

Advertisements

I have a lease on a condo that is in a building which has a total of 8 units. I have a lease with a rental agency and all my lease and contract is with the rental agency, I do not interface with the property owner, who is an individual not the condo association.

I received a letter in the mail at the condo addressed to me saying that next week the electrical in the building will be upgraded and my unit will be without power for 4-5 days. I will also have to give the electrical company my unit keys as they will need to enter my unit to replace the electrical box.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to pay rent for the 4-5 days my unit in uninhabitable?
2) Is my rental agency required to pay me compensation for a hotel and dry ice to maintain my fridge?
3) The condo association sent me a letter addressed directly to me. I never gave my rental agency permission to give them my info is this a violation of our lease?
4) Do I need any other info to create more leverage here?
5) Will I be responsible for any cost from the power company since I am paying the electric bill here (disconnect/reconnect, inspections, etc.)
6) Am I required to comply with the request for my unit keys to a third party not part of my lease?

I do not have anywhere to live for the 4-5 days so I will end up paying $150x5 for a hotel + dry ice + having to eat meals out, etc. My reasonable cost for this inconvenience could be 2x my monthly rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:21 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
I am not an expert but I think the answers are:
1. no
2 no
3 no
4 n/a
5. no
6. yes

My guess is some of your questions are addressed in the fine print of the lease you signed.
I will certainly stand corrected by an expert in this sort of thing.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
as a sidebar 4-5 days seems like a long time. Have you talked to other folks in your building?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Your renters insurance should cover your temporary hotel expenses.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Your renters insurance should cover your temporary hotel expenses.
Why bill against renters when landlord-tenat laws make rental agency responsible for expense?

OP, the agency is responsible for putting you up in a hotel that is adequate. That means they aren't responsible for 5 star but can't put you in a trashy place, either. You need to call them asap. The agency is responsible to you, the owner is responsible to reimburse the agency.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:38 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
Why bill against renters when landlord-tenat laws make rental agency responsible for expense?

OP, the agency is responsible for putting you up in a hotel that is adequate. That means they aren't responsible for 5 star but can't put you in a trashy place, either. You need to call them asap. The agency is responsible to you, the owner is responsible to reimburse the agency.

The landlord can not charge the tenants rent, but they are NOT responsible for alternate accommodations or food storage. Please cite any state landlord tenant law.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:38 PM

If the unit is not uninhabitable through no fault of the tenant, yes the landlord is responsible to give reasonable alternative accommodations or let the tenant out of the lease obligation.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 AM

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...ntlandlord.pdf

Quote:
Additionally, almost all courts recognize that implied in a residential lease agreement is the understanding that the rental property must be fit for habitation by humans. This means that the rental property must meet some minimum level of standard so as not to expose the occupants to unreasonable health risks. This implied duty cannot be modified or waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan