Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

The NW of the mitt is still strongly under consideration for retirement. However I'm not sure how close I have to be to TC. Mostly I don't want to be too far from the amenities of the hospital, grocery stores and nature related things to do. I don't need the hospital now so theoretically I could live out aways, but how often do you want to move when you are old?

I know they are building a Meijers west of Williamsburg which is west of Kalkaska. I was talking to someone recently and they said "oh no, not Grawn". IDK a thing about Grawn, Kingsley, Buckley, Thompsonville or Kalkaska. I don't want to live in town, but want to be near something. Closer to a small grocery store, cable, internet maybe (good luck there).

When I was in Nebraska I worked on the extreme south side of Omaha. I could pick up a lot of stuff at the big stores and chains after work. I lived 13 miles south of work near a little town that had a small grocery store and a pizza hut. Good enough, I didn't have to go to Omaha over the weekend.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,911 times
Grawn is fine, I wouldn't retire there though, it's mostly unremarkable ordinary ranch houses. I'd say look around the southern part of the Leelanau penninsula around Greilickville, it's very nice there and is relatively close to Traverse City

Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Lake Ann, Interlochen, Kalkaska are all real nice. Look just West of TC around the Long Lake area. It is absolutely beautiful around there, close to TC, but still feels like your not RIGHT there in all the craziness that is TC. Personally, I think Interlochen is perfect. It has everything you need but still only 10-15 minutes from TC.
Thompsonville, Buckley and Kingsley are all nice, but Kingsley is probably the nicest of the 3 but none have a hospital and are a bit of a drive to traverse.
I live in Honor which is a very nice...quiet little town 25 minutes SW of Traverse, and we love it here. If I were to live closer to TC it would either be Lake Ann or Interlochen.
Oh, we get a LOT of snow up here but towns just East of Traverse like Kalkaska will get more because they are in the bigtime snowbelt.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Lake Ann, Interlochen, Kalkaska are all real nice. Look just West of TC around the Long Lake area. It is absolutely beautiful around there, close to TC, but still feels like your not RIGHT there in all the craziness that is TC. Personally, I think Interlochen is perfect. It has everything you need but still only 10-15 minutes from TC.
Thompsonville, Buckley and Kingsley are all nice, but Kingsley is probably the nicest of the 3 but none have a hospital and are a bit of a drive to traverse.
I live in Honor which is a very nice...quiet little town 25 minutes SW of Traverse, and we love it here. If I were to live closer to TC it would either be Lake Ann or Interlochen.
Oh, we get a LOT of snow up here but towns just East of Traverse like Kalkaska will get more because they are in the bigtime snowbelt.
x2

I lived in Interlochen & worked in TC. It was a relatively easy commute, even in winter. Long Lake area is really pretty. Back 10 years ago, the little grocery store in Interlochen was really nice. I liked the small town living, and the amenities of TC close by.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 AM

To clarify a bit, I'm hoping to buy a small acreage where I can attract wildlife. Most of any activities I participate in will probably originate in or around TC. I would hope to do the majority of my shopping at one of the Meijers. But wildlife acreage close to TC is hard so the small town would be for intnernet access and smaller grocery store trips.

I feel a bit more drawn to the east of TC without having spent enough time there. It just feels more connected to state forests and I wonder if that means more wildlife. Its also a little more convenient to 75 for driving north and south. The Manistee of course has tons of wildlife but I don't think I want to live in Cadillac.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Have you looked at the Honor / Frankfort / Benzonia area?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
To clarify a bit, I'm hoping to buy a small acreage where I can attract wildlife. Most of any activities I participate in will probably originate in or around TC. I would hope to do the majority of my shopping at one of the Meijers. But wildlife acreage close to TC is hard so the small town would be for intnernet access and smaller grocery store trips.

I feel a bit more drawn to the east of TC without having spent enough time there. It just feels more connected to state forests and I wonder if that means more wildlife. Its also a little more convenient to 75 for driving north and south. The Manistee of course has tons of wildlife but I don't think I want to live in Cadillac.
All around Traverse there are woods, water and rivers so wildlife is plentiful wherever you decide to go.
I just came back from the Long Lake area just West of TC, and let me tell you...it is GORGEOUS over there! I have lived up here 2 years now but just now seeing how amazing the Lake Ann/West TC area is, but of course it as ALL amazing up here. Even here in Honor on the Platte River, we have several houses around us but still get lots of deer, turkey, Bald Eagles, and even a few bear. We also hear a lot of owls and some coyotes in the distance, so you won't have any problems not seeing wildlife. Like the previous poster said, you may want to check out this area too. Benzonia, Honor, Frankfort...they are all just incredible little towns full of beauty. We are actually moving to Gaylord within the next month, mostly because housing is WAAAY too high priced up this way. My wife got a job at Ostego Memorial in Gaylord, so we are pretty excited. Not real excited to leave this amazing area, but excited because Gaylord is a very nice place and closer to the U.P which we LOVE!!!!
One day I would really like to move back over this way and maybe build a house in the area I mentioned earlier just West of TC...We'll see, we may not want to leave Gaylord! We are just real happy to live Up North Michigan!!

Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Have you looked at the Honor / Frankfort / Benzonia area?
No. I'm looking for info.

I like the idea of being over by Kalkaska because of travel too. I stayed at a cabin by Lake Ann and it is beautiful but I didn't really like the commute around the end of Long Lake.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No. I'm looking for info.

I like the idea of being over by Kalkaska because of travel too. I stayed at a cabin by Lake Ann and it is beautiful but I didn't really like the commute around the end of Long Lake.
I really like Kalkaska too! It is a beautiful area, but remember...they get a TON of snow. If you like snow go for it! I could easily live there because I LOVE snow! lol

Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 PM

197 posts, read 459,169 times
How about something like this? 29 acres = $54,900 North of Buckley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan