Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,537 times

Advertisements

Goin'North, go north to Canada! Where jobs are plenty, wages are high, employers are advertising on city buses and radio stations (everywhere) trying to attract workers. I live in western Canada, many of my neighbors never lock their doors, even in big cities like Edmonton, AB. I know Flint may be your home town and you want/hope to make it better, sometimes a move is neccessary and desirable especially if you have young families, to give them the opportunities they deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
You must not get out much.

In the Flint area alone, I have fond childhood memories of Autoworld, Pennywhistle Place, Water Street Pavilion, the Children's Museum, Sloan Museum, Longway Planetarium, parks, Crossroad's Village, the Crim, more recently Back to the Bricks, etc... Going throughout the state- of course there are the big things- Mackinac Island, Traverse City, Tawas, Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, the zoos (Detroit, Lansing, and Saginaw), Michigan's Adventure, Tiger Stadium (& Comerica Park), etc... Little things, too- skiing, water skiing and tubing Up North, Deer Acres, lighthouses, the Dream Cruise, the entire U.P., etc...

There are very few things I don't love about Michigan. (*cough**roads**cough*) Most of all, the terrible reputation it has. Open your eyes and enjoy what is around you! Stop focusing on the negative and DO something to make it better!

(And, to deflect any future comments- I do not live in MI right now, but I've been trying like heck to get back for a few years now. Teaching jobs aren't so easy to find up there I'm working on it though)

believe it or not they are doing a lot of road work here in flint....right now they are fixing the roads on Bristol road...boy i am soooo glad

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Man this thread keeps popping back up....

I lived in Flint (east side, a few blocks south of Angelos on Davison and anyone familiar with Flint will know exactly where I am talking about!) and it really wasn't bad at all. Shabby and blighted, well yeah, much of it is. So avoid those parts. Poor schools, yes. Unsafe; in parts but mostly not unless you lead a lifestyle where you hang out with low-lifes. Nice parks, Flint river trail, some cool museums and events, fantastic farmers' market, cheap real estate, low taxes, zero traffic and congestion.

Some friends of mine moved from rural SW MI (Grass Lake) to Flint, they bought an insanely cheap house in a decent neighborhood that they are fixing up, they LOVE it. So it depends on what you're used to, I guess.

I live just north of the city now. I don't find it "miserable." Honestly, I would rather live in Flint than in a cheap, bland,
Grand Blanc subdivision.

And they might be doing a lot of road work in Genesee county right now - they do every summer - but the roads still suck.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 AM

well I live in Grand Blanc right now and I love it...its quiet..the people are nice...and my son is in a great school.. I have access to the restaurants, shopping, and as many times I have rode down holly road I didn't realize they have a IMAX theatre.

Some people just stay stuck in Flint and don't get out and see what the rest Michigan has to offer. My husband daughter lives here and she has never been to Detroit or up north

Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
well I live in Grand Blanc right now and I love it...its quiet..the people are nice...and my son is in a great school.. I have access to the restaurants, shopping, and as many times I have rode down holly road I didn't realize they have a IMAX theatre.

Some people just stay stuck in Flint and don't get out and see what the rest Michigan has to offer. My husband daughter lives here and she has never been to Detroit or up north
Agree that GB schools are good and it's certainly safe! I used to live there and 80 percent of my work is in Grand Blanc, so I do know the city well.

I wouldn't actually encourage anyone to move to Flint, mind you. Certainly not if one has kids, because the schools are terrible. Just saying that it's not as bad as advertised...places are what you make of them. I think it's astonishing that there are people who have barely left the county in their whole lives, I agree there are poor folks in Flint who have no conception that Flint isn't "normal."

PS the Trillium has $5.00 movies every Tuesday night.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Agree that GB schools are good and it's certainly safe! I used to live there and 80 percent of my work is in Grand Blanc, so I do know the city well.

I wouldn't actually encourage anyone to move to Flint, mind you. Certainly not if one has kids, because the schools are terrible. Just saying that it's not as bad as advertised...places are what you make of them. I think it's astonishing that there are people who have barely left the county in their whole lives, I agree there are poor folks in Flint who have no conception that Flint isn't "normal."

PS the Trillium has $5.00 movies every Tuesday night.
$5.00 to go to the movies???...im sold...thanks for info

Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,679 times
Quote:
What a sad statement on Flint schools. When my wife and I were attending Flint Public Schools, they were second only to California in quality of education. Of course, now they're bad here in CA, too!

Flint Central, class of '66

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM

89 posts, read 194,359 times
Sadly, the quality of Flint schools have dramatically dropped. Many have closed, including Flint Central. The latest one to the bite the dust is Flint Northern.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM

493 posts, read 1,447,679 times
Quote:
What a sad statement on Flint schools. When my wife and I were attending Flint Public Schools, they were second only to California in quality of education. Of course, now they're bad here in CA, too!

Flint Central, class of '66

Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuguy25 View Post
Sadly, the quality of Flint schools have dramatically dropped. Many have closed, including Flint Central. The latest one to the bite the dust is Flint Northern.
Granted I don't have kids so all I know about Flint schools is reading the dismal performance reports on the news and anecdotes from a couple of people I know who are retired teachers from the Flint school system.

And like Detroit, Flint is bleeding residents. Losing about ten percent of the population per decade. So with the dwindling tax base and population it only makes sense that some schools are closing.

Flint tops large U.S. cities in population decline | MLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan