Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 PM

78 posts, read 59,252 times

Advertisements

I cant understand why I cant use my health cards. its like a high dectibale. meaning I have to pay over twelve thousand to get a physical. and the sore knees will never get done.but we all should be grateful for Obama care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,029,388 times
The physical should have nothing to do with the deductible afaik. That's part of the essential care.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 PM

792 posts, read 2,326,832 times
I wonder what you mean by "a physical". That phrase usually means a physical examination, but a physical examination doesn't cost $12,000. Do you mean physical therapy or something? I have a high-deductible "bronze" plan, but I've never paid a cent for my annual physical exam.

If you anticipate an expensive procedure, run the numbers and see if it is in your interest to pay higher monthly premiums and get a lower deductible (you'll have to figure this out before the deadline for enrolling, so it's too late for this year). Look around and see if you can talk to someone in your area who can can sit down with you and help you navigate the system and find the plan that will best meet your needs. Some hospitals or other organizations offer this service free of charge.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,174,450 times
No.

And my guess is that there's a lot more about Obamacare that you don't understand, not just "using your health cards".

Old 04-09-2017, 06:35 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,959 times
You're guaranteed an annual checkup physical with every kind of insurance now. As for the high deductible, that's a known issue and you'll probably never get to use your insurance. I don't have Obamacare but my work insurance is the same thing. It sucks.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,174,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
You're guaranteed an annual checkup physical with every kind of insurance now. As for the high deductible, that's a known issue and you'll probably never get to use your insurance. I don't have Obamacare but my work insurance is the same thing. It sucks.
You still get to use it (I have a HD plan, as well) because the insurance vs. cash rates are different, but it will be a while before you feel the effects.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,205,270 times
Your policy likely has a network associated with it as nearly all policies offered this year were HMOs. You should be able to call any doctor that IS IN YOUR PLAN'S NETWORK and make an appointment for a wellness exam. Depending on what your plan specifies, you may have a small copay. Go get the basics looked at and depending on what you find out, worry about the rest later.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:47 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You still get to use it (I have a HD plan, as well) because the insurance vs. cash rates are different, but it will be a while before you feel the effects.

What do you mean? I'd still have to shell out to meet the deductible, so I can technically use it, but I'd have to be in a pretty bad way in order to do so. It's urgent care for me. Luckily I haven't needed any medical care in over a decade, I've avoided injuries and just ride out any sort of illness, but I doubt that pattern is going to hold.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM

78 posts, read 59,252 times
Thanks all who replyed. yes I did mean a physical exam or general check up. Its like I get scared cause they offer me just one doctor and I thought I could pick a few from a list. I'm kind of old fashion and would like a male doctor.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,672,957 times
The for-profit, predatory medical and pharmaceutical industries are driving me crazy, but the ACA (Obamacare) is only a failed attempt at doing something about the out of control prices and difficult access for the working and lower-middle class, at the expense of anyone making more than 200% poverty level. More importantly though, I'm disappointed in the overall lack of price regulation and lobbying power of the two industries, but Obamacare, despite its ineffectiveness and overall general failure, is not to blame for the fact that healthcare access in America is mediocre and absurdly expensive.

For that, you've got to blame the laissez faire attitude of Washington to the powerful mega-corps who fund their campaigns in exchange for the continued lack of regulation. Step back. Look at every other wealthy nation in the world. Why do they have more affordable and equally effective healthcare access? What's the variable that we do differently? You go ahead and answer that for yourself. Be objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan