Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the drive info. I have a baby niece in Dallas who I've only seen once (she's 18 months). We found a great deal with Southwest right when they started flying out of DFW, or Love, (can't remember exactly). Since then, even with frequent flyer miles, it's been impossible to afford flying there. I swear, frequent flyer tickets are getting increasingly impossible to find. I think the airlines are "awarding" fewer and fewer seats. If you can find them, it's usually horrible times that are impossible to do with kids. 5am or an overnight layover... Good luck with that. I was going to try to make the drive last summer, but injured my back, and couldn't drive more than an hour at a time, but hopefully this summer we'll make the trip before the weather gets too bad. I may have my parents moving there soon as well (Dallas area).

I also second getting good snow boots. I wear mine from October to April up here, because the snow drifts and snowplow piles are so big up here and stick around all winter. You'd have snow in your shoes otherwise. It really helps to get ones with good treads too, to avoid slipping on ice. For kids, I like the ones that have the liner inserts so that they can dry faster. My kids have Columbia "parkas", and they are fine. They're both down filled, but washable. I'm starting to THINK about putting away their snow gear, although we had a few inches of snow this week-end..... But I heard in Detroit they got up to 70 degrees!! I'd take snow and ice over months of heat and humidity any day though! I grew up in the deep South, and honestly never want to go back, except in the Spring. After living here, I finally understand why there are Spring Breaks. They're really end-of-winter breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM

33 posts, read 89,488 times
Default Question(s)

Where I live, we have childcare places that provide hourly babysitting in a group environment. Does this exist in Michigan? Specifically in Commerce Township, Novi or West Bloomfield? These places are regulated by the State.

Also, do cars need to be "inspected"?

Regarding snow tires: Would a family change car tires for the Winter and then Summer. To clarify, if we have new tires on our cars, Would we store them during the Winter and then have them put back on for the Summer or would we use snow tires year round?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeth View Post
Where I live, we have childcare places that provide hourly babysitting in a group environment. Does this exist in Michigan? Specifically in Commerce Township, Novi or West Bloomfield? These places are regulated by the State.

Regarding snow tires: Would a family change car tires for the Winter and then Summer. To clarify, if we have new tires on our cars, Would we store them during the Winter and then have them put back on for the Summer or would we use snow tires year round?
On the babysitting, I'm sure you could find something. I don't know of anything specific, but you could find out.

No, cars don't need to be inspected. You buy tags for your license plates, and you do registration. Or maybe those are the same things...I have no idea! But you don't take your car once a year to get inspected, like you do in TX.

Some people think you should put snow tires on your car, but we didn't. We have a 4Runner and an Expedition. The Expedition had brand new tires when we got here, so we refused to buy snow tires on top of that. This was a really bad winter, and neither of us had any problems with our tires. You will also see people driving little Ford Focuses, Honda Civics, etc. I doubt they have snow tires. We were freaked out at first, about not having 4WD, but we never had a problem.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeth View Post

Drop-in childcare is what you're describing. This exists. There are state licenses. I don't know if you're required to have a license though.... I'm not an expert on this.

Cars don't need to be inspected as far as I know. We had a little station wagon for 7 years. Just sold it. No inspections were ever performed on this car.

Snow tires: I have lived in various places around Michigan for my entire life. We buy all-season tires. I have never put special tires on my car or truck (including time spent in the UP). Just make sure you have all-season tires and you'll be fine.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM

88 posts, read 343,802 times
How I miss the Michigan Secretary of State office just handing over your plates and license tabs!!! Here in NJ, I had to return 3 times to the inspection center because they kept finding something they didn't like...on a brand new car!! drives me nuts....

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
This is sort of unrelated but your above post reminds me of it: does anyone know why some states place counties on the license plate (like Ohio and Georgia) and others (Michigan) don't? I always thought it would be kinda cool to have that.

I really don't like our new white plates replacing the cool old blue ones, but I LOVE the green ones, so I'm happy with mine.

And nope no inspections! And happy about it!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

33 posts, read 89,488 times
Default More Questions

I just want to thank you all so much for answering all of my crazy questions. I really appreciate all of your comments!!

Has anyone used ABF?

We can hire any Company to move us; however ABF stands out because of the comments on Epinions. We will pack ourselves and hire guys to load the truck and they will deliver. Although it will be a lot of work, we think it could be worth it considering how we value our belongings and family heirlooms.

Has anyone had a great experience with a full service moving company?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 PM

I looked into ABF too but it seemed like I was doing ALOT more work for the same price as actual movers. If I really wanted to save money, I would get a Uhaul and do it myself. But with gas prices, how cheap can filling one of those UHaul tanks really be??

ABF or PODS seems like its easy enough but what is the time frame from when it leaves your driveway till the time it arrives in your new driveway?? I've heard that people wait up to a month for a regular moving company let alone a trailer that you packed yourself.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
My sister just moved from North Carolina to Grand Rapids and they used ABF. The truck actually beat them to Grand Rapids because they stayed out overnight. No breakage or other damage, and very friendly drivers they said. Their cost was less than 1/2 of regular movers, but more expensive than U-Haul or Penske. They loved it because they could ride together and there was nothing to worry about on the trip. Her hubby drives truck for a living, so that wasn't an issue if they decided to go that route at all. Just worked out better for them.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM

thanks for clearing that up. ABF will def be a choice for me should I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan