Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 AM

8 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So my parents (62 and 65) moved out of the Bay Area due to rising rents and are looking to settle somewhere else in the US. Since I’m in Windsor, Ontario, I feel it would be a nice idea for them to be somewhere close to me (i.e. in Michigan). My dad works from home and my mother is a housewife.

They’re Indian so I’m looking for a city preferably within an hour from Windsor, with a high Indian community, good Indian restaurants, movie theatres and a bingo hall (as my mom likes playing bingo). Also, looking for something affordable like a 1 bedroom apt for around $1000. They may buy a home later on if economically feasible.

What cities do you guys suggest? The closer to the border, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
That budget will be rather hard to meet, at least in most places I would want my parents to live. Unless they find a flat outside the gentrified areas of mid-town Detroit.

Possibly Hazel Park? or Roseville? But who really wants that for their parents.
Farmington, St Clair Shores, most of Down River will probably be a bit higher than $1000 a month for rent...as will 85% of south eastern Michigan.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM

8 posts, read 6,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
That budget will be rather hard to meet, at least in most places I would want my parents to live. Unless they find a flat outside the gentrified areas of mid-town Detroit.

Possibly Hazel Park? or Roseville? But who really wants that for their parents.
Farmington, St Clair Shores, most of Down River will probably be a bit higher than $1000 a month for rent...as will 85% of south eastern Michigan.
Yeah some people suggested Farmington.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
Farmington Hills has a high Indian population, especially in the apartments in the Grand River between Drake and Halsted areas. Many restaurants and grocers as well.
You might want to check out the miindia.com website for more ideas.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 AM

159 posts, read 170,999 times
Sterling Heights should have apartments in your budget.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Canton and Farmington Hills have concentrated Indian populations. Canton is probably the best known as a heavily "Indian" population, but there are people from India all over. My fatehr was in a hospital in Novi last week, all of his doctors were Indian. when I called and asked for Dr. Kumar, they said "Which one? We have about five Dr. Kumars" there are a number of Indian families in Grosse Ile where I live. Not really a concentration but quite a few. Last years high school homecoming queen was an Indian woman, so there seems to be reasonable acceptance of Indian people. When I worked int he GM headquarters building (OnStar tower), I was often the only non-Indian person in the elevator. The people I had discussions with where it came up - all lived in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights or Ferndale. I think there may be concentrations of Indian people in a lot of Citites.

I do not know whether many of them are high, but that metric should improve after January as marijuana is now legal so there will be more high people around in general.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
You should be able to find apartment in that price range, 1 bedroom. Plenty of cities that have desi concentration. Since you are in Windsor, I would suggest driving in to USA (if you are able to) and check out some of these area. Maybe go to Indian grocery store or whatever religion you are, go to temple/mosque/church (if your parents are into that) and talk to people about different city. Identify Grocery stores & drive few blocks around that, chances are many Indian people live in that neighborhood to create demand for grocery.

Just a little warning, there is a social economic differences in Michigan between different cities. some cities are considered rich/safe vs. others (like in many other location) but in Michigan people take it very seriously and people like to talk negative about cities not on their level. In reality there might not be much difference but residence will make it sound like its day and night. Don't believe them, do your own search.

Few cities not mentioned where Indian community exist: Warren, Sterling Heights, Centerline, Hamtramck, Madison Height, Garden City, Novi (might be too far from Windsor), along with Canton, Farmington, Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I do not know whether many of them are high, but that metric should improve after January as marijuana is now legal so there will be more high people around in general.
LOL everyone will be high next year

Old 12-25-2018, 01:02 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I'll add Troy to the mix as I know there are many Indian groceries along the area, especially along Dequindre Rd., and I've read there is some Indian presence. Bingo halls, though-- that I don't know about!

Do you know the site http://miindia.com/?

Old 12-26-2018, 09:30 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'll add Troy to the mix as I know there are many Indian groceries along the area, especially along Dequindre Rd., and I've read there is some Indian presence. Bingo halls, though-- that I don't know about!

Do you know the site http://miindia.com/?
I am aware that the following apartment complex adjacent to the Somerset Collection has a SUBSTANTIAL Indian Population.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5582...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-01-2019, 10:30 AM

50 posts, read 79,796 times
There's a Hindu temple at the corner of Adams and South Boulevard in Troy. That's roughly at the border of Troy and Rochester Hills. It's also not far from Auburn Hills. The area near Bharatiya has a wide range of housing affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan