Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

It's been almost 6 years I moved to Michigan.
I moved every new apartment with all kind of different issues.
Noisy neighbor, Noisy heater noise, mouse problems, etc..
It seemed every apartment has one issue that really bothers.
One time I was tired of this issue and signed a lease on one of downtown loft.
It was 900$ for studio and looked upto date.
So I thought ok maybe this would work, I don't like moving.
And then.. guess what?
I can hear toilet flushing noise from upstair every time they flush toilet..
I heard cat moving around so heavily especially right above where my bed was.
And I called the landlord.
He said he doesn't want to meet in person to tell him online maintence requirement.
I only met him once when we signed the lease the leasing office I don't even know where it is.
and He later says he can't do anything about the toilet flushing noise he can't move me to another place.
So ok **** you, I moved to new apartment.
And then let see, there's DTN apartment.. The complex apartment office is kinda major leasing company,
they will treat me good as long as I pay rent?
So I moved to graden floor and then during the rainy season the whole wall got wet and whole carpet got wet near by the door area..All of my stuff there got wet.. I payed 700$ for this place. And again I can hear cat .. cat.. cat.. in above floor. But they were kind for me to give alternative and moved me to new other DTN complex. But then, another issue.. I moved to upstair now cause I didn't want to deal with cats.. I hate cats.. but then I can hear downstair neighbor wife and husband screaming yealling each other. I thought it was my right side 2nd floor neighbor that was fighting every day. because it came from right side.. Who would have though you can hear neighbor noise from downstair? So I knocked on the neighbor door, but he wouldn't response to me and reported to the leasing office. And this kept going on and later I found out it was downstair. And I reported again. But nothing changed, So I had to move again. phewww... DTN was great they respond to ur maintence requirement ASAP compare to other ones.. but that was it.
And then I moved to this one closer to Campus area. Not too close to MSU cause I know it will get noisy during the semester days. But then another issue is, the leasing office comes in with one or two knocks without 24 hour noticing for emergency issues. This happened twice and I sleep usually at day hours and I opened the door half awaken. This is getting my issue. Can I tell leasing office to give me 24 hr prior notice before they come in like this? Isn't this common sense? Or should I move again.. Getting tired of LANSING it self now.. really am..
Oh also that apartment that had noisy heater issue .. I heard that building exact one I lived was burnt down after I moved out about 4 months later. Whoa...
Whys it hard to find descent apartment in Lansing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:45 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times
I see from your writing that you are from another country. Welcome.

If an apartment is not soundproofed, then you will sometimes hear noises from the other tenants. That cannot be avoided. The sound of a flushing toilet is something you should just get used to, unless the plumbing is unusually loud. Same thing with cats. Cats do not usually make very much noise, but if you hate cats, there are places that do not allow pets.

Yes, you should get 24 hours' notice for maintenance calls, unless it is the kind of emergency that requires immediate attention. I would complain to the management about that and try to resolve it before moving again. If they come to your door without notice, and it is not a serious emergency, you don't have to let them in. You can tell them to come back later.

If you do decide to move again, you might try renting a house instead. Then you would not have to share walls with neighbors, but then you would probably need to find a housemate with whom you could split expenses. It might be hard to find someone compatible, especially because of your schedule.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:22 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Neighbor noises happen. Nothing you can do about it. I suggest getting used to it. If all you have to listen to is cats walking, I will trade you places in an instant. You'd go insane living where I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: