Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times

Advertisements

Can someone describe the relationship between Lansing and East Lansing? How dependent is EL on Lansing? Does EL tend to be more white collar as the college town compared to traditionally blue collar Lansing? Does MSU make EL a really major player in the metro area? How does the relationship that Lansing has with MSU compare with Columbus's relationship with OSU and Madison with UW? If L/EL are seen as one, the three above with all be capital cities with a flagship state university...are there similiarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Not sure, but I'll share some impressions.

I went to MSU for a half year, and then dropped out and moved into Lansing for the next six months.

Basically East Lansing caters pretty much entirely to the college students. There is one main street (which can't recall the name anymore) that goes from East Lansing right into the State Capital, but everything changes quickly. Students then it changes into just any other kind of MI city.

Once you get into Lansing from that side, it has a stronger urban feel to it. But generally speaking, Lansing is quite spread out. I don't know their relationships, but they felt very different. Lansing did feel more working class, and I think most students in East Lansing basically stay in East Lansing, I can't think of much of a reason for them to go into Lansing.

For me, I crossed into both all of the time, I was young and deliving pizza around the MSU campus area. I liked the place a lot at the time. I lived in Lansing because at the time I was curious about an urban experience. Lansing didn't offer much of one, but since I grew up in a much smaller place, it was interesting that one sort of existed nontheless.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM

93,240 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Can someone describe the relationship between Lansing and East Lansing? How dependent is EL on Lansing? Does EL tend to be more white collar as the college town compared to traditionally blue collar Lansing? Does MSU make EL a really major player in the metro area? How does the relationship that Lansing has with MSU compare with Columbus's relationship with OSU and Madison with UW? If L/EL are seen as one, the three above with all be capital cities with a flagship state university...are there similiarities?
From my time at MSU, it seems like EL is more white collar and Lansing is more blue collar. On Lansing's East Side, it does seem like some of the MSU influence spills over and I believe some people affiliated with MSU lived in that part of town. Some of the influence spills over into Okemos too.

It did kind of seem like they were twin cities, with just different characters to them. EL does have a Downtown that is mostly Grand River Ave. and some of it goes into the area around MAC Ave, Albert Ave., Abbot Road and Charles St. too.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

172 posts, read 471,266 times
East Lansing is geared towards the college crowd for sure but this is a benefit to all who live in the area in that you will have access to lots of great restaurants, fantastic off Broadway shows at the Wharton center, concerts, comedy clubs, art shows, festivals, live music, good shopping, sporting events . .. Lansing is more of a blue collar city like so many other cities in Michigan. There are good and bad areas of course but there are some things to do in Lansing as well. Lugnuts games, good selection of bars and restaurants right downtown, Old Town . . . I think Lansing has a lot to offer if you actually get out and about and meet different kinds of people. You may be surprised at all there is to do. If you are looking for a more suburban kind of setting but want access to the amenities of EL and L than there are some great areas like Okemos, Haslett . . . .

Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM

93,240 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
East Lansing is geared towards the college crowd for sure but this is a benefit to all who live in the area in that you will have access to lots of great restaurants, fantastic off Broadway shows at the Wharton center, concerts, comedy clubs, art shows, festivals, live music, good shopping, sporting events . .. Lansing is more of a blue collar city like so many other cities in Michigan. There are good and bad areas of course but there are some things to do in Lansing as well. Lugnuts games, good selection of bars and restaurants right downtown, Old Town . . . I think Lansing has a lot to offer if you actually get out and about and meet different kinds of people. You may be surprised at all there is to do. If you are looking for a more suburban kind of setting but want access to the amenities of EL and L than there are some great areas like Okemos, Haslett . . . .
Or the Waverly area, Grand Ledge, DeWitt and Holt.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,687 times
There is a lot to do in East Lansing because of the university. If you want to do social activities in Lansing, you have to get to know people. People there are very friendly. Winters are cold and snowy.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:48 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,701 times
Lansing has more of an urban feel. East Lansing is much smaller and somewhat suburban in character. It's a college town. East Lansing feels more like a neighborhood of Lansing than a separate city, as they are very close to each other.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:24 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,841 times
Both are great, and blend easily from one to another. Students tend to stay in the East Lansing area, but long time residents consider it all one big area. Residents of Lansing are cognizant of the value of MSU with regards to health care, cultural and education opportunities and the influx of money brought in as a result of sporting events (flying into Lansing airport as an example). Downtown Lansing has some areas that might be questionable, but overall the city itself and surrounding communities are wonderful. There is a mix of old and new in both cities, and it's often hard to tell when you've moved transgressed or crossed the city/township lines into Holt, Waverly, East Lansing, Grand Ledge, Old Town etc. We plan to retire there, in spite of the cold winters. Retirement allows you to cancel the appointments and or snowbird to Florida.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,701 times
The only thing negative I can say about Lansing is that the downtown leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Having grown up in between both...I don't think EL really has much dependancy at all on Lansing. Thing is Lansing is a craphole, I think what you are getting at is if it's like with many college town-to-bigger city areas. Like a well thriving suburb, if it wasn't for it's big city sister next door would there really be any jobs, growth, culture, etc. What's different about EL/Lansing is that Lansing has pretty much none of that.

In other words East Lansing would still be East Lansing without Lansing there. It's like Ann Arbor...Ann Arbor is Ann Arbor because UofM is there...DESPITE Detroit being nearby, not BECAUSE OF Detroit being nearby. Lansing really has little to do with East Lansing. In fact one of the best things going East Lansing has is the fact that it is NOT Lansing. That's why the neighborhoods, schools, climate, etc. are much better. If anything the worst effect between the relationship of the two is the effect Lansing has on East Lansing. More and more the negatives of Lansing are spreading to East Lansing.

Either way, both should be avoided. Both are going only getting worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan