Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do know that Michigan Magnet schools which are public schools do take only students with certain qualifications. For example Rennessaince High School in Detroit requires students demonstrate a certain level of academic excellence to be admitted. Performing arts schools require a demonstrated level of talent. It is not just random admission. From a parent's perspective a magnet school and a charter school are no different. There may be some legal, technical or funding differences.
Parents should know the difference. Ignorance isn't a virtue.

I am no expert by any means but my understanding is a Magnet school is part of a school district that will have multiple schools. Within that district there could be a magnet school with academic qualification requirements. But the district overall has options for students who don't qualify for a particular magnet school. Thus everyone in that district has a place to learn

A charter school is essentially its own district. To the best of my knowledge most all charter schools in Michigan are a single facility. So as such they can't have academic requirements because as a one building district they can't offer an alternative. Now they can focus on particular aspects like STEM but they can't limit enrollment based on anything but seats available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 02:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Parents should know the difference. Ignorance isn't a virtue.

I am no expert by any means but my understanding is a Magnet school is part of a school district that will have multiple schools. Within that district there could be a magnet school with academic qualification requirements. But the district overall has options for students who don't qualify for a particular magnet school. Thus everyone in that district has a place to learn

A charter school is essentially its own district. To the best of my knowledge most all charter schools in Michigan are a single facility. So as such they can't have academic requirements because as a one building district they can't offer an alternative. Now they can focus on particular aspects like STEM but they can't limit enrollment based on anything but seats available.

Our magnet schools accept students largely by lottery. They also consider connections within the same nuclear family. Other than that, I don't propose to lecture anyone as I am no expert on the subject.

Rudeness certainly isn't a virtue, by the way. An adult should know the difference.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:07 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
If I somehow came across as rude I apologise to anyone I offended by my wording but not the facts.

Fact: Charter schools are not publicly funded private schools.
Fact: Charter schools and Magnet schools are not the same thing.
Fact: the state law that allows for Charter schools is clear that they cannot discriminate based on academics or talent.

Opinion: A Magnet school can have academic requirements if it is part of a larger school district that has accommodations for all students in that district.

Opinion: A Magnet school is a school within a larger school district. A Charter school is its own district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan