Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 18,333 times

Advertisements

Hi there.. my name is Kristin...I came across Elk Rapids and Traverse City while looking for good schools and areas to raise my son...Being that I am from PA and have not been to that area I was hoping that someone from that area would be able to give me any information about the town, the community and most importantly the schools. My son is 5 and will be going into first grade... The most important thing to me is finding a great achool for him... I have found really good things about Elk Rapids so if any one can give me any information about this area I would greatly appreciate!! Thank you so much!!!!
Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 AM

146 posts, read 640,851 times
Default I Love Me Some Traverse Bay!!

Kristin, - HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I live in Grand Rapids and I love it,
But....If I could live anywhere I wanted in Michigan
It would be somewhere around Grand Traverse bay.
The area from Suttons Bay (Leelanau) down to Traverse City
all the way up 31 to Petoskey is one of the most
beautiful spots in the Country. Bar none.
Torch Lake alone is worth living up there.
On the negative side: winters are the real thing,
(which I like) but there's not alot of industy for jobs.
Traverse City is really growing so you might be able
to find something there.
As for the Schools. Elk Rapids high school is highly
rated but I don't know anything about their elementary.
Traverse City has three Elementary Schools in the top
forty (Michigan). They include Willow Hill, Eastern, and
Old Mission. There's a lot of money around that area so
you're bound to find some good schools.
Come on all you Traverse Folks, Let's hear from ya!
Help Kristin out!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 18,333 times
Default Thanks!!

Happy New year to u too!! Thank you so much for responding... I'm looking into the schools that you mentioned... yeah it looks absolutely beautiful there... i found all these wonderful pics.... I'm not too concerned about finding work .. I'll be graduating as a nurse in the summer so there are lots of choices for me plus i dont mind traveling if i have to.. as long as my son is in a great a school and in a great area....And all the information I have received Elk Rapids/Traverse City seems to be that spot!!!
Thanks again

Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM

50 posts, read 298,530 times
There is a town of Kingsley, just south of Traverse City that has very, very good schools. We looked at moving up there at one time.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 22,107 times
I graduated from Elk Rapids. Went through elementary, some middle (moved then came back), and graduated high school in 1995. Both of my parents also graduated from Elk Rapids (back in the stone age I believe...)

The academics when compared to the private Catholic school in Traverse city are a joke. But the school is safe, and the academics are probably fairly good for a public school. We had a graduating class of around 100 and its been that way for 40 years. If you have any specific questions feel free to post and I'll try and respond.
URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-19-2007 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
Bones, my kids who graduated from TC Central all said that ER was known to have a huge drug problem in their HS. You graduated the same year my oldest did, and my youngest graduated in 2000. We all know (if we are honest with ourselves) that we aren't going to find a school these days with no drugs, but ER has a bad reputation when it comes to drugs.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 103,469 times
sillymommy627.

My son may have a birthday two days after yours.

Anyway, you'll find Elk Rapids similar to PA in ways. There are hills and not as drastic but the countryside is beautiful. We had kids in TC district of Acme/Williamsburg. Elk Rapids has it's own community and town area though. nice place. Busy during the summer.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 AM

31 posts, read 128,342 times
I grew up in Traverse City and graduated from Traverse City Central High School.
Elk Rapids and TC are nice, but very expensive. You do not get the pay that you need to live there. I have finished my college education and have an opportunity to move there, but have decided not to. I even have a choice of houses in my family that I could buy, but am not going back. The reason why is the standard of living and the amount you are paid for wages. My fiance has a construction/farming background and can not make the money that he could somewhere else.

Northern Michigan is an excellent place to live, but hard to afford. Good Luck!

Missy

Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
I was speaking with a teacher from a local school district tonite and he told me that ER has cleaned up their drug problem pretty well. I just wanted to get that out there, it was great news!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 AM

49 posts, read 185,869 times
My husband's family is from Traverse City and I would move there in a heart beat. There are expensive areas but there are also very affordable areas. The schools are great in both Traverse City and Elk Rapids ( I have nieces and nephews in both systems.) My sister in law is a nurse in Traverse City at the Hospital. She enjoys her job there. They live out in Kingsley but they wish they lived a little closer to her job. It is about a 25 minute drive into town from where they live.
Like I said before I would move there in a heartbeat. Every season is so beautiful up there. There is so much to do with your kids. I love taking our 2 year old up to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan