Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM

283 posts, read 1,282,126 times

Advertisements

I need advice. I'm thinking about coming up to Michigan and staying a month or 2 in the summer of 2009. I'd like to stay in a rather small town (10-25 thousand or so) that has at least a few places to sit and drink beer, at least several restaurants (or else I'll starve on my cooking), a downtown that is walkable and a bike-friendly coutry side. Woods, water and hills would be nice. I'm not sure if I would seek out a small apartment or where I would stay but am not looking for anything too expensive, definitely not those nice $$ lakeside homes that are so common on the internet. I'm open for suggestions concerning that (lodging) too. Something furnished would be a big plus. If I can narrow the town choices down to a few I think I can find some suitable lodging in those places so that's secondary. From what I've seen on the internet there appears to be a lot of places that would easily fulfill what I'm looking for. But, getting advice from those that live there is best I think. so I'm asking you.

What town or towns would YOU Michigan folks recommend? I've looked at a lot of the Michigan photos here and see a lot of places that I like. I see names like Marquette, Traverse City and others that are mentioned often. The Upper Peninsula stands out because of its mining history. My Dad, both of my Grandads and several of my Uncles were miners so I can relate to a lot of those folks. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
I need advice. I'm thinking about coming up to Michigan and staying a month or 2 in the summer of 2009. I'd like to stay in a rather small town (10-25 thousand or so) that has at least a few places to sit and drink beer, at least several restaurants (or else I'll starve on my cooking), a downtown that is walkable and a bike-friendly coutry side. Woods, water and hills would be nice. I'm not sure if I would seek out a small apartment or where I would stay but am not looking for anything too expensive, definitely not those nice $$ lakeside homes that are so common on the internet. I'm open for suggestions concerning that (lodging) too. Something furnished would be a big plus. If I can narrow the town choices down to a few I think I can find some suitable lodging in those places so that's secondary. From what I've seen on the internet there appears to be a lot of places that would easily fulfill what I'm looking for. But, getting advice from those that live there is best I think. so I'm asking you.

What town or towns would YOU Michigan folks recommend? I've looked at a lot of the Michigan photos here and see a lot of places that I like. I see names like Marquette, Traverse City and others that are mentioned often. The Upper Peninsula stands out because of its mining history. My Dad, both of my Grandads and several of my Uncles were miners so I can relate to a lot of those folks. Thanks in advance.
If I was doing somethinglike that I would check Charlevoix, Empire, Leland, Maple City, Paradise, Petoskey and depending on if it's in the price range you're looking for, a Bed and Breakfast -- there are some in those towns that look like they'd be nice to stay in.

Top Rated Bed & Breakfast Inns, Bed and Breakfast Gift Certificates Most Popular B&Bs, Hotels, Inns

Maple City, Michigan - Maple City Bed and Breakfast Inn, Gift Certificates, Travel, Lodging, B&B, Inn, Hotel select city.cityId, city.name, state.name stateName, country.name as countryName, city.countryCode from city, state, country where city.cityI

That site gives information -- rates and policies on those.

Otherwise I'd check The Traverse City Record Eagle or other area newspapers and see what they are offering for longer rentals.

They have this page which lists cottages, apartments, that might be available in TC or surrounding areas, or that you can list what you'd be looking for --- and there's always craigslist.

View More Topads (http://topads.record-eagle.com/topads/rentals/ - broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 AM

283 posts, read 1,282,126 times
Thanks malamute. I appreciate that. That (info you provided) will keep me busy looking for a while at least. I'm seeing enough already to maybe make a quick run up that way this summer.

Maybe, if I have to evacuate before this storm season's over, I'll just head north and not stop till I reach Michigan.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM

915 posts, read 1,506,191 times
Marquette and Traverse City are good choices - you might want to consider Petoskey, Sault Ste. Marie, and St. Ignace as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,143 times
Top 10 Summer Destinations

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
You could try New Buffalo, Michigan:

) Nice little small town on Lake Michigan with lots of visitors in the Summer
) A few bars that will give you that "Key West" feel
) A lot of cottages, condos and/or apartments to rent
) A quick 8 mile trip puts you on the commuter train from Michigan City to Chicago, where for $15 (round trip) you can be in the heart of Chicago in 1.5 hours
Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (broken link)
) Indiana Dunes State Park is also just minutes away

new buffalo, michigan - Google Maps

Old 08-24-2008, 05:42 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,850 times
As I read your post, Traverse city stood out. It's a wonderful town in the summer. Microbreweries, festivals, very walkable/bikeable, beaches, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan