Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 32,647 times

Advertisements

My Girlfriend got the canadian PR. I've heard that people live in detroit and across the border, they go and work in canada.

can someone give me some details on how this exactly works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
Yeah, and vice versa.

Basically, after the person gets all their approvals, then they get their smartpass so they can go across the border w/out the security check (for frequent travellers).

I know that the guy who I worked with from Windsor got paid in American Dollars and drove in from Windsor everyday. Not sure what else you are wondering about and I know I'm not too familiar with the system to answer too many questions, but it's not an unusual occurance in this area.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks snoopygirlmi. Do you know of any good community websites where i can get information on canada. Because once i get my approvals done, then i may require to interact with someone who are already live there and can be of some help to me like staying, applying for jobs etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
It's usually the other way around , Canadians coming over here to work but I'm sure their suffering along with the rest of us except for nurses . We have a shortage of nurses in the tri-county area and many Canadian nurses are employed here . You could probably stop in at the Canadian customs and they may be able to answer some questions . Keep in mind that in June laws will take effect where anyone crossing will need a passport or equivelant like a '' enhanced drivers license '' for which the State Of Michigan are dragging their feet . As of one month ago when I visited the S.O.S. , they told me they haven't heard any news on when they will start issuing these . I belong to a site Connect2Canada (http://www.connect2canada.com/home-accueil/ - broken link) which is basically run by the Canadian Embassy in D.C. for Canadians working and living in the U.S. , they also have a Facebook site and many others . I personally have a small website I started on MSN Groups now at Yuku thats a joint U.S./Canadian topics type , but I'm not sure I've ever run into that question of Americans going to work in Canada . The site above may or may not help you out , but your best bet would be to stop in at Customs on both sides and ask questions

Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
And this notice has been up at the Secretary of State's (http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_45431-211475--,00.html - broken link)site forever lol

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Thanks Wingnatic for sharing this great information. Will check on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: