Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

And you might as well buy these foreign made American label cars they're going to give you because they'll take your money and give them bailouts if you don't.

The American people are being played for the biggest chumps ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Buy American, you'll really be helping the citizens of Mexico a lot.

Mexico: General Motors' Production Plans Strong at Ramos Arizpe Plant

SALTILLO, Mexico — General Motors is making world headlines for its bankruptcy filing today, but here in Mexico, the plans for production of GM products make sunny news. Next month, GM will kick off production of the new Cadillac SRX here, primarily for U.S. buyers.
Yep, while they take almost 1000 Caddy franchises away from their dealers.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
I think that some cars and truck makers have their good ones and bad ones. For example, if you want to compare full size trucks, there is no comparision when you want payload and towing as a work truck than domestics. Toyota and Nissan doesn' t have a Heavy Duty full size truck that would compare to Ford's Super Duty or Chevy's and Dodge's. The imports do not even have a good diesel engine available. Take a look at comercial vehicles: Police cars (mostly body on frame Ford Crown Vics or LX platform Dodge Chargers). Ambulances, Taxi's, Limosines... Its not uncommon for the Ford 4.6 liter V8 to get 300K miles and still run strong (police cruisers, taxi's and limos).

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
i wouldnt buy a new car period. they all look alike and way to much for something that just loses value. from my own experiences, ive had problem free driving with my old toyotas, and my little ford festiva's, the mazda powered, kia built machine. and a nice 40mpg too with my festiva. i do wonder if the foreign automakers have reduced the quality of their new products. when i read of pple buying the yaris and scions complaining of "thin" paint jobs that already have begun to chip as if it was a very poor maaco paint job, one has to question what quality cuts have been made.

toyota and honda do have a history of producing well made products, while the u.s. automakers record is a bit spotty. so id assume that what makes pple think something from a japanese auto maker is better. commercial vehicles, like police cars, need a larger bodied car, which the state side makers produced more of. fleet sales of police cars to a japanese maker, would have been almost unamerican to some folks. i did read of some pd that bought some model of nissan as their replacement vehicle, but that never use to happen. i dont think they are keeping their cars as long as in days past, maybe due to extreme replacement costs and because government agencies love to buy new stuff. i agree though, some car makers do have their good and not so good models. remember the old checker taxis, and their durability. i also remember inheriting a vega when i got married, what a chore it was to drive. should have been clue to me of inpending doom.

so maybe some of the illegals will hustle back across the border to grab a job with caddy?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 14,300 times
I used to think that only arabs were buying japanese made cars.I mean i never saw it necessary or liked foreign cars.BUT this is probably due to outsourcing and high oil prices.I always bought american and always had high regards for american companies.All this crap has it`s origin in greed mania.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:40 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
you never saw a person of another culture or race... driving a honda or toyota?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 AM

14 posts, read 14,300 times
I never saw toyota or honda as a competetive brand and never cared,but yes i did find out about GM`s serious faults in their cars.Now with oil prices as they are and with scarce jobs i doubt i will look for a replacement car for the next 30-40 years.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the money is in gas guzzlers. luxury taxe needed.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 PM

119 posts, read 284,795 times
I have read a lot here about transmission problems with American cars. Boy that is the truth. Next time you drive by a transmission shop, take a look. What do you see in the parking lot??? Toyotas? Hondas? no. You see Dodges, GM vehicles etc. That begs the question, why? How long have the big three been making automatic transmissions? since the 1930's? why can't they seem to get it right? This is only a recent thing. I remember cars from the 60's and 70's and you could not kill a transmission in those. Even with serious abuse. I have had both foriegn and domestic cars and they have all had their issues. All in all the foreign cars have been better quality, but I have not had a late model domestic car for a while.
That being said, both of my current cars are domestic. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan