Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,041 times

Advertisements

HI..Im from Sri Lanka. Im hoping to join MTU in spring 2010. Can you please tell me how is the situation out there for a international studetn. I am aware about the weather. I want to know about hosing, food, part-time job and survival for a international student.My majour is Automobile engineering, I have past experince in the feild. so will I be able to find a part time job in the same feild. And finally, how is the crisis effecting Houghton. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM

189 posts, read 522,219 times
It's been a few years since I was at Tech (graduated in '01), but I don't think the culture around there has changed too much.

Houghton (and the entire Upper Peninsular of Michigan, really) is a VERY rural area. Many of the things that come to mind when you think of a "university" don't hold true at MTU. It's a very small town. In fact, the student population at Tech (around 7000) pretty much matches that of the "rest" of Houghton/Hancock.

You almost assuredly are not going to be finding a job in the automotive industry, with Houghton being 500 miles away from Detroit. There are a couple of engineering companies around the area (who aren't likely to be hiring right now). But, on the bright side, Houghton is an extremely cheap place to live.

University housing is pretty adequate, depending on your situation. If you're an older student they do have some university apartments, but more likely you'll be living in one of the dozens of houses/apartments near campus. In my day rents were between $250-300/month per person. I can't imagine it being much higher now. Utilities are just as cheap, running probably less than $50-100/month average (somewhat higher in the winter with heating). If you're in a position to buy a house you could get an old place within walking distance of campus for around $60k.

Food on campus is typical dorm-food. Not good. Off campus you're free to do whatever, from bars to restaurants to groceries. If you were really stingy you could probably eat for less than $40/week, although if you're having fun it would be upwards of $100. There is a limited grocery store within walking distance of the campus, but most people tend to shop over on the other end of town (where the larger grocery and the Walmart are). If you don't have a car don't worry too much, there was never any lack of helpful friends around near campus who are willing to give you a lift once you get to know your fellow students.

Once you've paid your tuition you could easily get away with living on less than $10k per year. When I was living in the dorms I could get by on around $2500/year (not counting tuition and room costs).

So, if you were able to get a part-time job (either on-campus or off), you wouldn't have to make much more than minimum wage to cover your expenses once you've figured out how you're going to pay for your tuition, books, and a room.

As for the international flavor of the area... there really isn't one. Houghton and MTU are 95+% white. It's not a very diverse area. Those pockets of international students who are around tend to stick pretty close together. I hope this doesn't scare you off, because it is a great school, but cultural diversity is something they've struggled with there for some time. They do make a valiant effort (the University does anyway), but it's tough to attract that many minority students to such a remote place.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 23,041 times
Thank you for replying me. It was really helpful. However, Still I m having some issues. My parents are going to pay for my Tuition fees. But, I have to manage my living cost. I was planning to work part time, in a dinner or a gas station or what so ever. To tell you the truth I have no idea how is the community in that area. Will it be a problem for me since I am a Sri Lankan? And is it an area with violence or a peace full area? If you can please be kind enough to explain how the MTU is stands for Automobile degrees? The validations and recognition.Thank you.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,454 times
Violence - There really isn't much violence to speak of in Houghton. It's a very peaceful place.Job - Although the town is mostly Finnish-American, the people are used to hiring international students from MTU. I don't see you having any problem getting a part time job such as the ones you suggested. There is a place in the town called Michigan Works, which is a building with people who will help you apply for jobs if you need help. They have applications for restraunts, gas stations, diners, and many other places of work. If you go there and talk to them, they may be able to help you. Also, if you contact MTU about finding a part time job, they may offer you one at an MTU building. They're pretty good about finding international students places to work, so that they can keep you at their university I don't see the fact that you're Sri Lankan being any problem at all.Automobile Degree - I don't know what to say on that part. I'm just a local of Houghton. All I can say is, MTU is an engineering school. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you

Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,595 times
@Sri Sasa,@MTUcache,@klizita
You guys suddenly appeared as a dim of hope in my life.
I have planned to join MTU in spring 2011 and hadn't found anybody from there until I found this forum.
Now I want to know one thing-
I can only afford one semester tuition fee.So is it possible to manage tuition fee by doing part time jobs there?Or is there any possibility to get internship from any company during summer?

I need these information desperately.Please help me.....

Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,870 times
Hello

I am a graduate student at MTU, if you are a graduate student talk to your advisor about finding a TA position, that will cover your tuition and pay a stipend that will be more than enough to cover rent and food. If automotive engineering would mean mechanical engineering then contact Dr. Freidrich (craig@mtu.edu). I generally spend 20 hours a week with my TA duties. If you are an undergraduate you will struggle to earn enough money to pay tuition cost, food and rent. It is not impossible, I have a friend that was able to do that with a job at a heavy equipment company about 30 miles away, but he was working on co-op / internship (doing engineering work before he finished his degree). Jobs like this are generally hard to come by especially now. But I haven't looked for these jobs for 2 years as I am a grad student now. As living cost go I spend $120 a month on food (no restaurants), $300-$350 for rent and utilities (water, electric, heat) but that is the lower end of things, $170 food and $550 rent are also possible if you need nicer things. I would recommend looking into Daniel Heights for apartments, they are reasonable priced and managed by the university.

For connections to the auto industry, MTU is well established with GM, Ford, Caterpillar and Cummins.

MTU is very safe, one of the safest campuses in the america.

The universities efforts to improve diversity at MTU have increased the international population alot since 2001, I have been the only domestic person in a class before (graduate level, undergrad is mainly american). There are strong Indian student groups and Muslim groups on campus and at least 3 local stores that are well stocked with international foods, you still will not be able to find everything but you can get pretty close.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 13,936 times
@peitzbike
hi..
i hav got admit from MTU for MS mech fall 2010..with NO funding.
can u please guide me for applying RA/TA.. on wat basis these assistanships are given??
how shud i apply?? and wat is the best time to reach campus ?? if i plan to reach 10 days in advance of orientation..willl it be beneficial to get on campus jobs easily??

Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 13,985 times
Heyy all you out der...I got an admit from MTU and i am planning to finalize it for my MS Mechanical in FALL-2011...So please can anyone tell me or guide me that as a Mechanical Engg college , does MTU stand good as compared to that of Southern Methodist University or University of Texas Arlington....More over to this it would be kind enough for me if anyone of you let me know the job prospects after graduation in Mechanical from MTU and that of SMU and UTA aswell...

Thank You.
Rahul Shah

Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,836 times
Default Phd@MTU

Hi,
I have got I20 for research position as part of phd program at mtu.But in I20 I did not find any funding from university.i have heard once if we enroll to university they will furnish the funding details..is it true??? do i have chances of getting funding???? plz help me out...........

Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM

123 posts, read 224,373 times
My son just finished his junior year at Tech in the environmental engineering program. I can tell you that it is a cheap place to live $300 a month for his own bedroom in a not too bad house and food costs are how you live it. We are Americans so I can not speak to the international side and he does not work up there but has gotten a great internship (in Detroit area) the last two summers thanks to connections from Tech. By the way he loves it up in Houghton, big into mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, snow boarding (Boheima and Ripley) cheap resturants, good bars, he does wish the music and concerts were better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan