Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM

334 posts, read 1,498,449 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that we might be moving to Maryland, near the Baltimore area. The only info I have gathered about the area is from the net, more specifically from the Baltimore Forum.
It seems to be full of violent crime.
I was wondering if anyone here has lived in Maryland and can give me a comparison between the two places, Other than the statistics that I keep coming across.
I LOVE Michigan, and don't want to leave ever...funny really since I am a newby. But since I may not have much choice I would like some "insider information" if you will, lol.
Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
I was laid off in the spring of 1991 and left Michigan for a job in MD.

I only lived out there for a year so I'm not really "in the know" as others may be.

But I'll share anyway.

I lived in Olney and worked in College Park, both are towns just outside the Beltway, not so close to Baltimore but I've slummed around that town occasionally.

It's pricey to live there. Taxes, housing, etc. are much higher compared (on average) to MI.

Winters are shorter and milder if that matters to you.

They have 7-11's AND 6-12's. Too funny.

Can't buy beer at the grocery store.

You can only buy liquor at state run package stores.

MD blue crabs are delightful; crab season is comin' up soon....September.

Ocean City is a blast in the summertime.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor is a great place to "hang" in the evening.

The National Aquarium is a "must see".

Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
YAZ

Oh.

Redskins fans are not very tolerant of fans of other teams.

You have been warned......

Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,191 times
I lived in Greenbelt, MD for two years......actually close to College park and just down the parkway from Baltimore....It really depends on the area you are looking to move?! It is a very nice state! I lived in one of the worst counties in the state of MD and i found it not too bad...although my neighbor did have her car stolen out of our parking lot there is a list telling what cars are stolen most often and mine wasn't on it..hehehe

Cost of living is MUCH MUCH higher!!!!! groceries cost more, rent more etc.

there are some very nice areas just outside baltimore...such as laurel...or columbia laurel is cheaper than columbia....

I moved from michigan to teach there...i now live in Philly teaching and miss michigan the most...but miss maryland too....i love baltimore and DC!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 PM
YAZ

Mofo,

I'm guessing PG County.....right?

I liked Montgomery County for the most part but....I high tailed it back to MI when things started picking up.

I was fortunate that I had a buddy that was established out there; I pretty much just rented a room from him.

I enjoyed the Washington "Mall" on many weekends. The cherry blossoms were spectacular around Easter time, and I booked a tour of the White House.

Took a tour of the U.S. Mint as well, and hung out at all of the Smithsonian Institutions many times. The NRA museum was AWESOME.

I took a cab there...wouldn't wanna drive in D.C.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 AM

550 posts, read 2,053,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Mofo,

I'm guessing PG County.....right?

I liked Montgomery County for the most part but....I high tailed it back to MI when things started picking up.

I was fortunate that I had a buddy that was established out there; I pretty much just rented a room from him.

I enjoyed the Washington "Mall" on many weekends. The cherry blossoms were spectacular around Easter time, and I booked a tour of the White House.

Took a tour of the U.S. Mint as well, and hung out at all of the Smithsonian Institutions many times. The NRA museum was AWESOME.

I took a cab there...wouldn't wanna drive in D.C.
I find it hilarious you called me "mofo" it's so close to many ofmy nicknames

Yes, I lived and taught in PG county......where I taught was worse than where I lived...i lived in Old Greenbelt which is pretty unique!

I moved not knowing anyone, but many of my michigan friends had internships in DC and a few of them stayed with me so that was fun and anyone who visited DC from MI i would go visit it was great!

I loved spending time in DC....I NEVER drove in DC except to drop someone off at DCA...i ALWAYS took the metro....the metro is great!

I met my boyfriend from philly in Baltimore so i Have some fond memories of baltimore too...

Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
YAZ

Sorry about the "mofo"; my contacts were soakin'....

"Mo" for short, from now on.....

They don't take winter weather lightly out there......

One morning I woke up to about 3 inches of beautiful white powder, and started my daily commute. I'm on the Beltway headed south at the beginning of rush hour and noticed I was the only one on the road.

OK, what's going on...are we at war?

I pulled into work at 6:45am , not a soul. Starting time was 7:00am. I sat there 'til 8:00am, then hung out at the Denny's down the street for an hour. Went back to work. Still....nobody's there. Uh oh. Did my 'lil organization go belly up?

Some time later one of the bosses showed up and explained to me that if ya can't see the blacktop of the roads, then don't bother coming in.

He sez: "We just don't take risks like that around here".

Too funny cuz I remember one time back in Michigan we had one heck of an ice storm overnight. At the time, I lived in an apartment complex with a 1/4 mile long driveway. I lost control of my truck and put the thing in the yard. Stuck. A maintenance guy at the complex pulled me out and I was an hour late for work. The boss was less than pleased.

The Metro is nice out in the D.C. area; I don't know about Baltimore's rapid transit scene. BWI airport is quicker and easier than Reagan(Old Dulles), and the roads are much nicer in MD. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the weather. They don't have that freeze - thaw cycle that MI has.
Pot hole dodging is rare, in other words.

Hunting and fishing is popular in the rural areas, and I hear there's black bear out there...

FYI.....Mr. Tiger himself, Al Kaline is from the Baltimore area.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM

46 posts, read 163,960 times
Well depending on where you're coming from in Michigan and where you end up in Maryland things can be very different, or much the same. Most of the violent crime stays in the Western side of Baltimore, so if you're not buying heroin you should be fine.

I grew up in the MD and have since moved to Ann Arbor for school and I can't wait to get back to Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

The Metro is nice out in the D.C. area; I don't know about Baltimore's rapid transit scene. BWI airport is quicker and easier than Reagan(Old Dulles), and the roads are much nicer in MD. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the weather. They don't have that freeze - thaw cycle that MI has.
Pot hole dodging is rare, in other words.
Baltimore's mass transit is laughable at best compared to DC. The light rail can get you from downtown to the airport, which is nice, but it takes a while. The subway system doesn't go anywhere near where I ever am, so I can't speak for it. There is also a bus system which is useful, but is rarely on time and is not that well kept up. Granted from my experience with (the lack of) public transit in MI, it is a step up.

Also, Reagan is the new name for National Airport, not Dulles which still exists deeper in to VA.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
I am from Westland, but now live in Maryland. I like Michigan more, but it's nice here too. Can't give much info about the Baltimore area, but if you need in fo on the DC area then I can probably help.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,938 times
Born and lived in Md for 46 dreadful years.

Taxes like Mass., cities like Detroit, nasty people, prices are horible, and controlled living.

If it weren't for the job I'd be gone. Now I'm looking beyond that and am seeking to move to the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan