Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,626 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just moved to Rogers City a few days ago. I can understand why there are not alot of jobs around as the town kida starts shutting down for the winter around Thanksgiving. We just moved here in Nov of 2013. I will say that everyone I have met so far has been very friendly and nice. This day and time everyone is kinda worried about talking to a total stranger ( me included ) and with all the idiots in the world, I totally understand that.

So far, everyone has been very nice and everyone I have talked to says the same thing..that it is a safe place to live. I have heard that places like Detroit and Saginaw are really bad for crime and gangs are a problem there. It seems like the farther north you go, the safer the place to live.

If you looking for a fast paced environment, this is not it. It is very laid back and things start shutting down for the night at around 9 pm.
If you own a business or have a fixed income with some sort of retirement check and you like the safe quiet towns, Rogers City is the place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingwithwolves View Post
Hello. I just moved to Rogers City a few days ago. I can understand why there are not alot of jobs around as the town kida starts shutting down for the winter around Thanksgiving. We just moved here in Nov of 2013. I will say that everyone I have met so far has been very friendly and nice. This day and time everyone is kinda worried about talking to a total stranger ( me included ) and with all the idiots in the world, I totally understand that.

So far, everyone has been very nice and everyone I have talked to says the same thing..that it is a safe place to live. I have heard that places like Detroit and Saginaw are really bad for crime and gangs are a problem there. It seems like the farther north you go, the safer the place to live.

If you looking for a fast paced environment, this is not it. It is very laid back and things start shutting down for the night at around 9 pm.
If you own a business or have a fixed income with some sort of retirement check and you like the safe quiet towns, Rogers City is the place to live.
Welcome to Michigan. While the city of Detroit has its share of problems, keep in mind that it only constitutes 15% of the total metropolitan area. Metro Detroit is a huge metropolis with miles and miles of affluent, safe, and beautiful areas. There is so much to experience in Metro Detroit. Just stay out of the neighborhoods of Detroit, and you will be fine. And don't forget our friends in Grand Rapids, there is much to do there also. Last thing about Michiganians, it may take some time to break through and become friends. But make sure you realize that once you do that, you are stuck with them as people form long-lasting solid friendships here. Perhaps it is due to the more insular non-transient population base we have here.. And let's see how well you are going to cope with the winter...lol...I hope you won't regret your decision.

Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong - YouTube

Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you for your advice. The winter is actually something I am looking forward to. My desire to move to Anchorage or Fairbanks Alaska so I can be somewhere where it is -40 or so and snow piled up to the top of the house should tell you I am ready for Rogers City. Call me crazy but I actually love cold weather and want to experience a couple of feet of snow at once.

I understand that making friends will not be easy here but that is to be expected anywhere you first move to. I have no plans on trying to change the way people live or think, but do have a few ideas on how to help in a few ways that other people cannot.

I met a guy today who said he has been unemployed now for 3 years. He came up here and opened a Pizza place and went under and could not find work so now he is trying to make other things work for him. The food pantry at the local church was over whelmed yesterday with people needing donations of food and almost ran out of everything. Times are definitely tough here but then there tough everywhere.
It was not any better where I cam from and jobs were equally hard to find...the difference was thta rent for a average home there was $800.00-900.00 a month there not including utilities unless you lived in a area that was not safe. The crime rate was extremely bad and there seemed to be several murders every month.

Safety is my main reason for coming here and as long as I can keep a roof over my head and food to eat, I will be happy. In the meantime, I will keep making new friends and trying to get a business started here.

You can find a home or apartment here for around $350.00-500.00 a month and sometimes that includes utilities and your not living in a ghetto or unsafe area as well.

I am looking forward to spending the next few months getting to know the area and people, making friends and telling other people like me who are looking for a safe place to live about Rogers City.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 AM

May I offer one bit more of advice for people thinking of moving to any city. Go online and check out the state registry for sexual predators in the area you are moving to.

I was surprised to see how many there were living in such a small town as Rogers City and some of them may not even be known by the people who live near them.

If it will let me put this in....
PSORDisclaimer

Just put in the area code and let it do the search for Michigan and your area.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Well we are getting a small amount of snow today, Nov. 25th 2013 and the cold is not to bad at about 30 degrees.

There is another thread I was reading about which asks the question..if you could retire anywhere, where would it be. I have heard alot about the beauty of the Upper Pennisula and I can't wait to be able to go check it out for myself.
Looking at Rogers City from two different perspectives.....Great low cost for houses to buy and low cost of living. I had heard some concerns in the past of the small grocery store here being to high on prices but after doing the comparisons at the walmart in Alpena, I can say that for the most part, they are competitive in pricing. It is a small store though so the selection may be smaller, but still I was surprised to find average prices on items that were about what the average grocery stores from my hometown where selling things at.

Friendly folks at most of the stores I have visited especially if you have money to spend. Having said that though, I have had several nice people go out of their way to help us and that says alot of the general character of Rogers City. Kind, caring and friendly but of course cautious and with good reason. There are so many people out there looking to take advantage of the friendly character of people so I can totally understand the caution.

Two things I think Rogers City needs to attract more people to live here. 1.) some sort of small hospital with a clinic or emergency room or urgent care place. That is on most seniors and familes becaus eof the long 40 minute drive to Alpena to the nearest hospital. I understand there are 2 family doctors in Rogers City but the need for emergency care, especially with all the seniors here and heart issues, etc is a real need.
2.) A community center... a gym like place for indoor recreation in the winter time where seniors, children , everyone can go walk, play some games and be able to run around and get some exercise in. I know there are alot of trails for bikers to ride, playgrounds all over the place for activity during the summer months, but nothing to do for when it snows for small children or seniors that cannot take advantage of the trails and snowmobile activities. A childs play place, inside activity room, I think is really needed. There seems to be no city recreation department here what so ever with the exception of the 4-H association. I am sure they do something, but a gym of some sort, big room to play basketball, soccer and other activites during the winter months is really needed.
More to come later.....

Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Well, it has been a long road this last year. I am writing this update to my own question one year from my last entry almost. We left Rogers City in Feb of 2014 to go back to our hometown in North Carolina.

It was not because of the snow...I loved that part.. record snow fall this last winter.....most in about 20 years I think. It was great!

I have had a year to think about my experiences in Rogers City. We had found a nice church to attend with friendly, accepting people, made some friends while we were there as well.

Here is what I think...in my opinion....is wrong with Rogers City. They are trying to keep the great small town,.... no big box stores.....mom and pops....type businesses there to help keep the mom and pops stores alive... and making it harder for the rest of the towns people to live because of higher prices. You know, I can understand that....most of us long for the safer times... no crime...wanting to be able to not worry if you forgot to lock your door when leaving the house... i totally get that. Keep your population small, make your expenses higher such as taxes, groceries and other products.......and the homeless....normal people that commit crimes will probably not choose to live there.
This town is designed for retirement living and the people that want a slower way of life......I did like it there. for that reason as well.
In my opinion.....that is also why the population has dropped so much the last 10 years... the school attendance is dropping....and people are leaving to go to bigger towns.
If a walmart opened up there, I am pretty sure that is would finish off the rest of the small town businesses in no time. They are all struggling to just keep their doors open....and as in any world......you could say it is kinda like the theory of....survival of the fittest.
About December , the unemployment rate jumps up to about 20% or probably even higher. Businesses close their doors for 2-4 months and just stay home, because most of the towns older population leaves and heads to Florida for a few months so there are no customers for their businesses.

The towns taxes, from what I heard people say, are very high....cost of water is expensive, etc.

Okay, a few good selling points....all of which are really only good during the times when it is not freezing outside of snow on the ground.....I loved the park area....the playground was good near the lake... The bike path to the lighthouse some 5-10 miles away is a great idea as well. The pier area for the boats to dock in is well kept and nice during the summer.
During the winter, they have a ice rink on a baseball field they maintain for people who wish to ice skate, and it is really cool.

They really need a indoor gym...badly...a full sized gym for playing basketball in, and other sports and events.
If there was one thing that I think the city should consider adding, its a full sized, city owned and operated ...gym. Basketball leagues, volleyball leagues, soccer leagues, dance lessons, shows, etc.....that is really needed badly.

If I was going to retire and had a set income, I might move there for the safety.....but I think there are better choices if you ask me. If you have kids.....I would definitely live somewhere else...nothing for them to do during the long winter , snowy months.

Met some nice people there...thank you for your kindness...but if you ask me.....do not move there. It will be a ghost town in 10 years...already seems like one now.
Oh, and if you do move there...expect to be treated like a outsider for at least 5 years...being told to slow down and if you start a business there, most of the people will not visit your business until they get to know you and that could take years as well.
If you have money....they will accept you...welcome you with open arms probably.....but only because they want your money and tax revenues....not because they really care.

All just my opinion of course........

Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
The crime rate is very low in most of upper lower Michigan. I have never heard of a gang presence anywhere north of Bay City, for instance. Everyone carries guns in Michigan but that is because they are all hunters. Rogers City is extremely tiny and might benefit if you opened a business there -- so you show up and not just get a job, but create some jobs. Everyone coming down here from there comments in wonder about how many jobs there are closer to the "wrist," so bear that in mind before you haul stakes and move up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan