Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Speaking of sarcasm, do you really think kids nowadays aren't already drinking before they enter the service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How many kids do you think are drinking underage on college campuses? I think the military does a pretty fair job at holding people accountable and deterring underage drinking. At the end of the day it's on the individual, not the military, university or any other bureaucracy. If someone wants to drink bad enough they'll find a way.
Yep I'm sure most kids do/have/tried drinking before legal age....that are in college and in the military...

However, college kids do not have to worry about many things that the average Soldier does on a daily basis.....getting up being just one....

Oh well....as for the curfew...Great I'm glad that after 9 years, someone finally decided to end the curfew...now if they would just treat Enlisted as the officers get treated....to a point anyway.....there should be no reason a 39 year old E-4 cannot drive a car becasue of his rank....and decided to enter the Army at a late age......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM

57 posts, read 81,155 times
My first duty station was Korea, 18 yrs old. 2nd I'd. That was back when we actually patrolled the DMZ. I sure don't remember any young guys whining like the whining I've seen on this thread.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
My first duty station was Korea, 18 yrs old. 2nd I'd. That was back when we actually patrolled the DMZ. I sure don't remember any young guys whining like the whining I've seen on this thread.
Wow....O.K. so I'm gonna guess you were an officer....

If not, well things change....

Please tell me why a 20 year old officer (warrant or commissioned) , with a 4 year degree can drive a car and a 20 year old enlisted with a 4 year degree cannot................can you please give me your wisdom....

Besides...........If a Soldier is not whining then something is wrong.......

And before you complain, I'm retired....Just wondering....

Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,455 times
I've never been in the service, but I did go to college. Underage drinking was pretty heavy when I was there 25 years ago and I imagine its the same or worse now.

I would expect the desire to drink it the same in 18 year old soldiers as it is 18 year old college students, especially considering the soldiers are under a lot more pressure.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,487,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hummmmm lets see....

1. They are not allowed to drive a car...AGE does not matter...it is RANK (enlisted only, any officer no matter his/her age can drive)....everywhere else overseas they are allowed to. There are exceptions....but that exception must be approved at the POST level command.

2. There is a curfew, no other overseas place has a curfew. Now when I say that, yes there are curfews at others overseas places, however, those other curfews are only in place when something happens....Korea's curfew is 24/7.

3. For the first 30 days you are not allowed off post. (does that always happen? nope) but I know for a fact some NCOs actually obey the rules.

4. Very little to do when your only mode of transportation is a cab (which cost you more money) or the local bus transportation.....

I can name some more if you would like....but those were always at the top of my complaint list from my 4 years being stationed in Korea....
I was stationed in Korea and did much less drinking there then I did in Fort Campbell.

Cabs are cheap in Korea
Busses are abundant and cheap in Korea
Subway in major cities are cheap
Lots to see in Korea if you get away from the soldiers
Lots to see if you get away from the tourist traps.

Now if she is near the DMZ that is a different story, and that is something she should have thought about before enlisting, however those posts offer a lot for their soldiers, it is up to the soldier to take advantage of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues