Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

My husband is the exact same way, he almost gets embarrassed about it, when they thank for his service. I on the other side would like to wear the shirt with the print "my husband goes to Afghanistan so you can sleep at night" or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
So badly this has gotten that in Norfolk Va it's not uncommon to see signs in peoples yards that read, "Keep your dog off my grass and that goes for SEADOGS".
Laid it on a little thick there. Notice my city at the moment? In Norfolk several times a week-never seen anything like this. Maybe I'm just in the wrong parts of town? Or your experience in Norfolk is a little behind the times?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Thank the OLD vets.....They're dying, going away. Thank them now while you have a chance. Don't judge them. They may be grumpy or not hear too well, thank them anyway. If they're not wearing a hat or a jacket with vet patches on it, ask them if they're a vet. Thank all elderly people for the sacrifices they made over and over, people on the home front sacrificed too. Take the time to talk to them a little. Listen to them a lot. Don't worry to much about us younger vets....we've got time and work left to do....Thank the old old vets. The day will come when all the World War Two vets will be gone, the Korea vets, the Viet Nam vets.... Value these men and women NOW while we still have a chance to humble ourselves a little bit in the face of all the terrors and tragedy that THEY suffered and survived. Once they're gone that is it.....Forever is FINAL.....Thank these men, thank them now. No judgment no shame no politics or racism or blame.....just thank them for doing what they thought was the right thing to do....and for risking everything. Find it in your heart to give them even a few seconds of joy that at least someone cares....Put your SELF aside and think of them. Thank them.

(and a word on caring, people.....as our world lines up to give us a beating, as the politicians and bankers and thieves all line up to rob us.....all we will have is God, and each other.....family and friends. Now is the time that we start to take stock of what is really important in American LIFE as we loose the distractions that enslave us....because in so many ways we can no longer afford them....Thank the VETERANS for all that they have done....the losses and sorrows that they suffered...and continue to suffer...being good to others.....and kindness.... may be the only thing we have left....give it freely....)

When I got back from Iraq people in the Airports in Georgia, Texas....different folks...they'd come up and say "Thank you for your service"....and that was nice....even a little bit of that in some California towns....but not nearly as many....but MY heart goes out to those guys who so many have forgotten....When I see these old vets I drop what I'm doing....loose my place in line....forget about my oh so precious and pressing schedule and go up and THANK THESE VETS.....

Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Laid it on a little thick there. Notice my city at the moment? In Norfolk several times a week-never seen anything like this. Maybe I'm just in the wrong parts of town? Or your experience in Norfolk is a little behind the times?
Nope! Didn't lay in it on a little thick .
That's what I saw when I was there. And yes, it was a few years ago, back in the mid 90's to be exact. We're not one in the same, we see things from a different set of eye. GI's have a habit of noticing things that civilians seem to over look. Just because I saw it doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't there, and the same goes for what you may see that I may miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues