Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,469 times

Advertisements

Going into a war footing in the international arena requires way more than just military skills.
A lack of knowledge about the enemy requires a damn side more forethought that just military strength. The lack of knowledge about the enemy's culture can lead to misunderstanding, frustration, loss-of-life, bad publicity and potential embarrassment.
Knowledgeable military forces with effective PSYOPS (Psychological Operations) and CUOPS (Cultural Understanding + Traditions + Religion + Indoctrination + Way of thinking), also known as SEE YOU OPERATIONS (See You from all perspectives) include research on all of these points, plus regional etiquette, when preparing to confront an enemy.
The making of a successful war effort and winning the "hearts and minds" of the locals in a confrontational situation is a vital part of any international battleground, and such war effort should rely heavily on an understanding of each military components expectations, intentions, effectiveness,and the way that the average soldier can interpret cultural differences when being sent to foreign lands.
Each culture has it's own idiosyncrasies; - and when it comes to developing military strategies to eliminate threats to our troops, our men and women on the "ground" and in a combat situation, and whereas it is necessary by armed forces to create the best and most effective impression on the enemy and their local inhabitants (some supportive, others not) involved in the conflict arena, do you believe that sufficient preventative training is given to our troops being sent abroad into these conflict areas at grass roots levels (i.e. the humble combatant) is adequate enough?

Is it general knowledge to all troops being sent into a conflict situation to be aware of these necessary elements?
How much time is spent on preparing combatants and base elements in these areas?
Preventative training not only in a cultural situation, but to be able to interpret combat situations from local reaction, measure threats prior to them occurring, and being able to assess possible threats by being able to take into consideration the diversity of the cultures between the enemy and the military forces sent to these countries to return stability. [/SIZE]

I am a firm believer in "knowing thy enemy" before any conflict situation. I also believe that insufficient emphasis is being given to the cultural understanding of our enemies.[/SIZE]
I refer to the following link which is indicative of developing an understanding of an enemy:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/jfq/1038.pdf

Comments appreciated....

Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Not trying to be a smart-ass but, given your source reference and your location, are you asking about any "we" and any "enemy" or are you interested in a particular "we" and a particular "enemy"? There are plenty of conflicts going on in the world right now and, personally, I'd guess my opinion and breadth of knowledge varies considerably from one to another.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Tootsie:
As a proud American legal resident but on contract in South America(not yet with US Citizenship but in the process of doing so) and stalwartly behind US Troops (my SIL has completed two long-term combat "stints" in Iraq) and having many, many friends in the US Armed forces, I feel I have a right to refer to myself as "we" in the case of my adopted country that has more to offer than my birth country.
Any enemy of the USA has also automatically become mine.
Although an immigrant to the USA, I do believe that I have the patriotism, affection, undeniable right to defend America and her borders from invasion, as well as speak for those who are close to me in uniform, both guys and gals, who are keeping you safe in your home, and bearing the flag.
Lets get to the issue here and not where I am from or where I am at present.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCC View Post
Tootsie:
As a proud American legal resident but on contract in South America(not yet with US Citizenship but in the process of doing so) and stalwartly behind US Troops (my SIL has completed two long-term combat "stints" in Iraq) and having many, many friends in the US Armed forces, I feel I have a right to refer to myself as "we" in the case of my adopted country that has more to offer than my birth country.
Any enemy of the USA has also automatically become mine.
Although an immigrant to the USA, I do believe that I have the patriotism, affection, undeniable right to defend America and her borders from invasion, as well as speak for those who are close to me in uniform, both guys and gals, who are keeping you safe in your home, and bearing the flag.
Lets get to the issue here and not where I am from or where I am at present.
It's "toosie" not "tooTsie"

For someone who is interested in understanding cultural differences you've taken a really antagonistic and patronizing approach with this reply to my post. I took the time to reply to you because I sincerely wanted clarification of your intent so that I and others could respond more robustly to your query. Nowhere did I insult you or question your right to ask any question. Maybe you assume that most users here are Americans and will assume that you meant "we" as USA and "enemy" as Iraq. However, I did not assume that. You just as easily could have meant Israel/Palestinian or USA/Afghanistan or countless other conflicts. OR you could have meant
"we" and "enemy" in general - as in - do invading armies tend to prepare for the cultural differences of their enemy or not. I don't care where you're from or where you're headed - I only wanted clarification about your question which did not clearly state that you're asking about USA in Iraq.

BTW, I happen to have involvement/understanding with US PSYOP training and activity in Iraq and Afghanistan and now have little interest in participating in this thread.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Toosie: - Good for you.

With that attitude I can see you do your PSYOPS job well of interpreting questions and analysis of the questions that were put in italics.

As a matter of interest, my job is to understand cultural/traditional and way-of thinking about people and I have traveled to more than 70 countries during the last 30 years to live amongst the people and understand them. In their homes, amongst families, and not-, repeat not, as a visitor living in a Sheraton Hotel or hidden from access and interaction with locals.

I will state clearly, - due to your lack of understanding of the questions: - I have included parenthesis to clearly state to whom I am referring: -
1. Do you believe that sufficient preventative training is given to our (American) troops being sent abroad into these conflict areas at grass roots levels (i.e. the humble combatant) is adequate enough?
2. Is it general knowledge to all (American) troops being sent into a conflict situation to be aware of these necessary elements?
3. How much time is spent on preparing (American)combatants and (American) base elements in these areas?

I have asked the above questions to many combat officers, troops and military staff both within the USA and in different countries where I have had the opportunity to mingle with them. In every case, I have received a lot of interest due to the lack of formal training to those personnel charged with going in to conflict zones.

The Brits, on the other hand, have a totally different structure and approach and their training includes vast studies on knowing their enemy.

As an ex serving member and combatant from a different war on a different continent, I do know the importance of PSYOPS, Project and CUOPS for soldiers going into the front line.

And as for having little interest in participating in this thread, it just goes to show how strongly you believe in what you do. Brush it off and hope it goes away.

Last edited by DBCC; 08-30-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM

...and no where, in any of the above posts, have I asked about USA/Iraq. I have referred to "conflict areas" and purposely not been specific.
That means: all, each, and every one - of the conflict areas.
There are way more conflict areas where there is an American military presence, - just in case you had not noticed.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Well I'm not military, but at some place at home are a couple of little books that my dad had from when he was in Africa and the Middle east during World War Two.They talked I think about the history of the area, and information on the people and their culture and customs.Also some commonly used phrases and words that would get you by when speaking to these people.He also had a guide book on Rome from when he was there during the war,but don't recall any book on Italy.Wouldn't have needed anything on Germany ,since he was german himself,spoke the language and had relatives in the Wermacht.
Should our troops learn about the language and customs of people in areas, combat and other wise where they are stationed,yes, that's a good idea.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Reference:
Pentagon destroys thousands of copies of Army officer's memoir - CNN.com

QUOTE: "In the memoir, Shaffer recalls his time in Afghanistan leading a black-ops team during the Bush administration. The Bronze Star medal recipient told CNN he believes the Bush administraton's biggest mistake during that time was misunderstanding the culture there." UNQUOTE

I rest my case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues