Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

BTW - their "hell"? Hawaii
I hear people go to Hawaii thinking its going to be like one big vacation and then end up disliking it.

If mine were to get the spot there (there is one slot for his job there) I would likely feel very conflicted about the assignment (but will look forward to enjoying the weather).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The military is VERY conscious of the marriage/divorce rates.
There isn't a "military", there is a chain of command that need to sign off on the change of assignments. Odds are, if divorce is looming solely based on a location, it's probably not that strong of marriage and will fail at another sign of conflict. The decision is based on the personality of the commanders. A friend of mine was able to have his commanders sign off on an early separation from the Air Force for a $50,000 job. I know another person who was offered a six figure job and his chain refused to separate him.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I hear people go to Hawaii thinking its going to be like one big vacation and then end up disliking it.

If mine were to get the spot there (there is one slot for his job there) I would likely feel very conflicted about the assignment (but will look forward to enjoying the weather).
My dh was born there and so we knew the wife's personality was going to clash - plus the bugs, the rats and the humidity... she thought she'd be bringing the kids to the beach everyday, which she was sure would be just a block or so from where they'd find a house. Because everyone in Hawaii lives just off the beach, right?

Someone she met online assured her that the cost of groceries and housing were greatly exaggerated and that the quarantine thing for their dog would be waived if she just pled ignorance once they arrived... so much misinformation out there!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
There isn't a "military", there is a chain of command that need to sign off on the change of assignments. Odds are, if divorce is looming solely based on a location, it's probably not that strong of marriage and will fail at another sign of conflict. The decision is based on the personality of the commanders. A friend of mine was able to have his commanders sign off on an early separation from the Air Force for a $50,000 job. I know another person who was offered a six figure job and his chain refused to separate him.
Philadelphia word games... over the word "Military"? It's a general term. In case you're not aware, a service member's chain of command is part of the military... just an FYI.

In some cases, the DOD (the chain of command is a part this too) goes to great lengths to ensure that they are not the cause of divorce/separation. In some cases too, it greatly behooves an individual's chain of command to move a servicemember and their family - if only to get them out of their hair. Of course, the servicemember AND/OR THEIR SPOUSE must be willing to humble themselves, ask nicely - and possibly stage a mental breakdown in front of a superior officer.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:41 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Lets not get Chain of Command (your immediate leaders above you)........

And Chain of Responsibility........the people who are part of the military, both civilian and military....

My CoC, from my commander to the BN Commander, and everyone one in between.

Chain of Responsibility, everyone above that both military and civilian, Brigade level and above.............

Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,379 times
thanks everyone! I will have to let him know a few things about this. Wow, Hawaii doesn't sound like a hell to me! I have tried to go in Air Force as an Officer, I won't do enlisted because the pay isn't enough for my loans (obviously, that's the problem in the first place!) but I was told by the recruiter they aren't accepting outside for OTS until 2012, so that sucks. He can't do remote in his air field because he works strictly on B52s and not many bases have those now. He only deploys to Guam. As for the recruiter part, that might work. And I do actually have a job here and it's an office job and pays a whopping $1 more an hr than people at McDs make flipping burgers. And this is considered a high paying job for the area, so that's what I'm looking at. People here like to say oh the cost of living is so low, but it's actually higher than most of the country. But the employment rate is so low! Well yeah...considering there is only 600,000 something people in the WHOLE state of course compared to other states, that would seem low! Yes we have oil but regular people don't benefit from that, the jobs are pretty specific here..know how to beekeep or work on an oilrig? Yeah, me either. There are jobs I qualify for very nice jobs that would help out a lot but they end up going to someone born and raised here and I'm just a "baser" who isn't going to be here long plus enlisted service members make tons of money and don't pay rent, why does she need a high paying job? Yes, that is the attitude I get here. It really sucks but this town has some animosity towards the base...I'm an army brat and I have experienced this before but most people are passive aggressive about it...these people are kinda just plain rude. Well...we are thinking of going Army Officer...I don't want him to but we could really use the extra $1000! We don't have many other bills, besides normal internet, car payments, grocery stuff. We don't even have cable. I'm not worried about those...I'm worried about my school loans. Since I'm working on my master's my loans are usually higher than the average persons...unfortunately. And this place is kind of stonewalling me finishing my masters. Without the money we need to cover expenses, I can't go part time to do an internship to finish my degree...but I can't get a higher paying job if I don't do the internship. And then there's always the fact that North Dakota might not let me get my professional license when it's all said and done. ND is notorious for putting up licensure fights with everyone, teaching, counseling, massage therapy...they're ridiculous. If we could get out of here that would be great! If we can't...I'm kinda stuck in a catch 22 situation.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Your student loans can be deferred. I have student loans, and they're on an unemployment deferment. All you have to do is call the agency that financed them, tell them your situation, and they'll tell you what type of deferment you're eligible for. I do it every six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues