Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times

Advertisements

On 11 December 1985 at 20:35 GMT, Arrow Air Flight MF1285R, a Douglas DC-8-63, departed Cairo, Egypt on an international charter flight to Fort Campbell, USA via Köln, Germany, and Gander, Newfoundland. The flight had been chartered by the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) to transport troops, their personal effects, and some military equipment to and from peacekeeping duties in the Sinai Desert. All 248 passengers were members of 101st Airborne Division (United States Army), based in Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The flight arrived at Köln at 01:21 were a complete crew change took place. The DC-8 departed for Gander at 02:50 GMT, where it arrived at 05:34 local time. Passengers were deplaned, the aircraft was refuelled, trash and waste water were removed, and catering supplies were boarded. The flight engineer conducted an external inspection of portions of the aircraft and the passengers then reboarded. Following engine start-up, the aircraft was taxied via taxiway "D" and runway 13 to runway 22 for departure. Take-off on runway 22 was begun from the intersection of runway 13 at 06:45. The aircraft proceeded down the runway and rotated in the vicinity of taxiway "A", 51 seconds after brake release at an airspeed of about 167 KIAS. The aircraft gained little altitude after rotation, the speed reached 172 KIAS and began to decrease again, causing the DC-8 to descend. The airplane crossed the Trans-Canada Highway at a very low altitude. The pitch angle increased, but the aircraft continued to descend until it struck downsloping terrain approximately 3,000 feet beyond the departure end of the runway. The DC-8 broke up and burst into flames.

The 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Protocol Office is seeking widows and family members of the 248 Soldiers killed Dec. 12, 1985 in the crash of the Arrow Air Flight MF1285R. The 101st will commemorate the 25th anniversary of this tragic event in December, and would like to invite family members to the ceremony. Please email camp.101.protocol.rsvp@conus.army.mil with your contact information.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
Default 25th Anniversary Gander Memorial Ceremony

I am the mother of Steven W. Mullins (Sandra McCann) I am RSVP ing for the 25th Anniversary Gander Memorial Ceremony.

Coming will be my self, Sandi McCann, my husband, John, Stevens' Aunt Marge Fenton, friend, Gene Hertel.

Thank you, Sandi McCann

My E-mail [EMAIL="sandithenurse@aol.com"]sandithenurse@aol.com[/EMAIL]

Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
The following HHC 3-502nd Inf will be returning for the ceremony:

Wayne Cliffford
Dave Mooty
Frank Lopinsky
Graham Kilpatrick
Clearance Crawley

Dinner at Blackhorse Pub and Brewery on Saturday the 11th at 7:30 for interested

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
I will also be attending on behalf of my family to honor my uncle SSG Jerry Holliman. I will also have a couple of friends that live in Oak Grove attending with me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues