Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,341,529 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBt-aQ1vObM
do you think it will hold up compared to the F-22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,756,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBt-aQ1vObM
do you think it will hold up compared to the F-22
What do you mean by "hold up"? It's very different aircraft. The F-22 is basically an F-15(C) replacement. In the air to air arena, it's the best fighter ever to take flight. In a dog fight, it would embarrass the F-35. However, the F-35 is multi-role jack of all trades (master of none) aircraft. In terms of air supremacy, nothing can touch the F-22, but the F-35 should be better at just about everything else (and cheaper).

Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
The F-35 is the perfect example of what you get when you design by committee (which it literally was): It does nothing well, costs too much, has design and operational deficiencies which preclude its use in certain situations and will only "work" if nobody else challenges us for air supremacy over the next 30 years or so.

As with so many other of our high-tech, military toys, it's cost and limitations will drive tactics and doctrine, rather than the other way around. Instead of developing weapons to meet the doctrine, we adjust doctrine to accomodate the weapons.

Things like the F-35 are why we spend so much on defense, yet can't win wars.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,115,697 times
What good is this against Mexican drug cartels or Islamic terrorist groups?

Need less airplanes, aircraft carriers, submarines, and stupid technology gadgets like UAVs, "smart bombs", and especially the silly "Future Force Warrior" program.

Need more infantry, special forces, offshore patrol vessels/patrol boats/"corvettes", military police, engineers, medical, and civic affairs forces.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
The F22 is over and done with, they are only producing F35's.

Loud plane though.

Really, I think all of these planes are a waste of money. Drones are the future, small, no pilot, and cheaper. But, they'll have the same capabilities and then some of these super high tech fighters.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,545,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The F-35 is the perfect example of what you get when you design by committee (which it literally was): It does nothing well, costs too much, has design and operational deficiencies which preclude its use in certain situations and will only "work" if nobody else challenges us for air supremacy over the next 30 years or so.

As with so many other of our high-tech, military toys, it's cost and limitations will drive tactics and doctrine, rather than the other way around. Instead of developing weapons to meet the doctrine, we adjust doctrine to accomodate the weapons.

Things like the F-35 are why we spend so much on defense, yet can't win wars.
Even as a former USAF maintainer, I'll have to say that you're spot-on, Stillkit. While I'm proud of many of our military aircraft, I still believe you've got it right about the brass (along with thier defense contractor friends) LOVE their high tech toys. I see the F-35 as a VERY limited weapons system and I believe the Harrier was the perfect example why) And, as a maintainer, I see WAAAY too many maintenance headaches in the STOL system... And I still believe it's too early to retire the F-15.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 AM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Only ACFT needed...................

Of course I Might be a little bias............
Attached Thumbnails
I have to say the f-35  VTOL looks cool-img_2513.jpg  

Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,545,358 times
Chucksnee, I've always believed that an updated Chinook would make an awesome SAR/Special Ops chopper...

Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,911,311 times
95 F 35 aircraft are scheduled to be delivered to the Marine Corps Air Station here beginning in 2012. The Commandant of the Marine Corps was here last week and indicated that due to the high cost of these aircraft the Corps will probably be budget cutting in other areas, especially in base housing.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Chucksnee, I've always believed that an updated Chinook would make an awesome SAR/Special Ops chopper...
We have been using them as SAR/Special ops now for years....(The Army anyway).

The new G-model has coupled flight navigation system, and numerous other updates....

The 47 has always been capable of SAR...and has been used many many times in that situation....

I even had the pleasure of training with the PJ's from Japan while I was stationed in Korea for about 2 weeks....

It's an ACFT that has unlimited capabilities...look up guns-a-go-go....an armed 47 from Vietnam...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues