Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 117,995 times

Advertisements

A SPC was recently in my office to give a 30 day notice to terminate his lease early. He provided the lady at the front desk with his set of orders and they filled out the paperwork. Our receptionist does not have a military background, nor does any of her family, so she missed a few things on the orders. When it cought my attention, I immediately contacted the Personnel Division and sent them a copy of his orders. It took her less than 10 minutes to call me back and verify that they were indeed fake.
This is the third time this has happened to our company and I was just wondering if anyone knows what the punishment is on the military side of this. We are obviously not kept informed after the orders are sent to them.
It absolutely disgusts me that service members act this way. What ever happened to being held to a higher standard because you wear that uniform everyday? It is very sad to see them just get away with more and more as time goes on.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersue1234 View Post
A SPC was recently in my office to give a 30 day notice to terminate his lease early. He provided the lady at the front desk with his set of orders and they filled out the paperwork. Our receptionist does not have a military background, nor does any of her family, so she missed a few things on the orders. When it cought my attention, I immediately contacted the Personnel Division and sent them a copy of his orders. It took her less than 10 minutes to call me back and verify that they were indeed fake.
This is the third time this has happened to our company and I was just wondering if anyone knows what the punishment is on the military side of this. We are obviously not kept informed after the orders are sent to them.
This web site is primarily a relocation site with forums for certain discussions. This site is not intended for complaints. That appears to be the main focus of your posting.

The only real question you seem to have is "I was just wondering if anyone knows what the punishment is on the military side of this." The punishment for falsifying official military orders would vary depending on a lot of factors. I do not believe anyone can really give an accurate answer of what the punishment would be. What is the punishment for a civilian using falsified documents in order to rent or buy a residence?

My advice to you is to call that "Personnel Division" and ask them. Ask them what you can do to rectify this situation. Ask them how you can go about recovering any monetary losses which you may have encountered.

Call the local military JAG office (Judge Advocate General), the legal branch of the military, for advice.

Call the individuals unit and ask to speak to the commander and ask him for advice.

Call the post Inspector General's Office (IG) if you feel you have a legitimate complaint.

Now I am wondering about a few things, but I have one question. Did you have a lease signed by the individual which was approved by the local JAG or Housing office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersue1234 View Post
It absolutely disgusts me that service members act this way. What ever happened to being held to a higher standard because you wear that uniform everyday? It is very sad to see them just get away with more and more as time goes on.
Why are you even asking that question here? Are you trying to throw shame on the military members here? You don't think this type of activity is against the oath every military member has taken? Where do we get our military personnel? They are humans drawn from the civilian sector.

I do not condone this behavior. And I sincerely hope you do not feel this way about all of the U.S. Military Personnel, many who have died so that you may live in a free society which you enjoy...

I had this thread closed for a while. I hope any responses you get here might be of help to you. Inappropriate responses will be deleted.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-07-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:25 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
As Poncho_NM, said...take his advice....

I would heed, in the future, when asking about a military person...AND YOU WANT HELP from us military...to not kick all of us military right in the junk...and think we are all the same...we are not.

Poncho_NM gave the advice, what you do with it is up to you.

Poncho_NM, I believe that the housing office only needs to sign off on alease if they are overseas, I know it was like that in Korea....but any other time...it was between me and the landlord...

Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
I think you should institute a new office policy of double checking each time someone claims they are breaking a lease due to PCS. As you posted, it only took 10 minutes to verify the orders were a fake.

If you're that concerned about punishing those who commit fraud, write a policy into your lease, a fee that is assessed to anyone who attempts to file false orders will lose part of/all their deposit or some such thing - see a lawyer about the wording.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 117,995 times
It was not my intent to come across this way and I apologize. Please just dis-regard the message.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
The majority of the time, a soldiers NCO or OIC will not take action for a civilian offense unless the soldier is charged or convicted of a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.