Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times

Advertisements

We are finally going to sit down with the Army recruiter next week sometime and I need to know what kind of questions to ask, and what lies we will hear !

So far, DH was told over the phone that when our son signs the contract, he will start getting $1000 a month and he will get a 10k graduation bonus. He will also get a 70k schooling fund. All he has to do now is go sit at the recruiting office on Saturdays to help out.

Currently our son is a Junior in HS (will be 18 in Sept) and due to graduate early - in Feb 2010 - because he has enough credits. I have a HUGE issue with this. I want my son to graduate next June with the rest of his class and experience all the fun of his Senior year - including prom. DH doesn't think it is a big deal and our son is rather neutral about it. Of course the minute he graduates, the Army will take him and as a mom, I am totally dreading this.

My son is in his 3rd year of ROTC and knows he is going in the military. I am in favor of this solid career choice, however I am scared to death and I do not want him to die a young soldier. This is very very hard for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Get him to talk to somebody who has been in a while. A recruiter will tell you and him everything you want to hear to make it sound great...and to get him to sign on the dotted line. I'll have another reply on here after while. My wife retired last year as a civilian employee at Ft. Campbell, Ky. She kept up with military life in the 20+ years she was there. She has never heard of that $1000/month. We have a family friend who was an Army recruiter for 3 years and hated it because of the lies you have to tell. When he calls me back I'm going to read him this letter and see what he says about that, as a former recruiter.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
I am pretty sure this $1000 a month is a new thing to get more recruits. I will be awaiting your answer from your friend.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post

Currently our son is a Junior in HS (will be 18 in Sept) and due to graduate early - in Feb 2010 - because he has enough credits. I have a HUGE issue with this. I want my son to graduate next June with the rest of his class and experience all the fun of his Senior year - including prom. DH doesn't think it is a big deal and our son is rather neutral about it. Of course the minute he graduates, the Army will take him and as a mom, I am totally dreading this.

I was in the same situation. I had enough credits so I graduated in Jan. and shipped out 2 weeks later. Sure he will miss out on some things. On the other hand, he is starting an even more exciting adventure. I would let him decide.

Another thing to think about....If he happens to get in trouble the last semester of his Sr. year, he may not only have the civilian authorities to worry about but, also military ones. 18yr. old boys are prone to making stupid decisions. I signed up the first day of my Sr. year and I think the added pressure from the recruiter not to get in trouble took the fun out of being a high school senior.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Curious is the length of his military committment - 4 yrs of active duty, 4 yrs of reserves or inactive reserves (individual ready reserves)?

Curious where his first duty station will be after basic training and advanced individual training (AIT)?

Curious if there's an absolute guarantee where your son will be stationed or just a promise?

Curious what his "job" title will be (called Military Occuptional Specialty) - MOS?

There are no guarantees about NOT going to a warzone - only promises or hopes.

I don't know about the $1k stipend. I'd like to see what his responsibilities will be? Will he need to travel to other cities to help recruit?

What amount of time in the Army will the "schooling fund" will be required to actuallly receive the fund benefit? For what kinds of schools can he use the money? Votech? College only? Is this a cost-share of matching fund program? (ie gov't matches your son's contributions).

Old 02-19-2009, 03:50 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
I think BUCFAN's response is right on target and I would also consider having your son speak with some currently active duty Army folks as well as a few from other services so he makes the best decision he can. I see you are from Hampton Roads which has service members from every branch all over the place so that should be quite possible there.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,894 times
Stacy,
Our son is a Senior in High School, and signed his US Army Delayed Enlistment contract last August 2008, and will ship out to Ft. Benning, three weeks after graduation this summer, June 2009

He received the $1000 per month signing bonus, from the month of contract signing until shipping out (new recruits receive up to 14 monthes).
He also received many other bonuses for his MOS, his Airborne contract, as well as for having Ranger in his contract.
And a hefty GI bill. (They were allowed up to $40,000 in signing bonuses at the time of his signing).
His MOS is (11xOption40).

Bonuses, however, are not paid out until your soldier completes OSUT (BCT/AIT), and reaches his first duty base.
There he will recieve the first $10,000, with the remainder of the bonuses to be paid throughout the rest of his contract time.

Just make sure he researches GoArmy.com, to learn the MOS he would prefer, and find additional info there that he may want to ask about.
He should take his time to take it all in, and not sign unless he gets the exact contract/MOS he desires.
He can check out Youtube, and see many of the MOS videos to get a better idea, as well.

I suggest you go to GOArmyParents.com and read lots of great info there.

(My hubby and I were former US Air Force, and when hubby completed his Air Force contract, he then joined the US Army Special Forces).

Good Luck to you and your son on his very important decision.

Hooah!

(Stacy, I should have added as one mom to another,
My heart aches too, thinking of my only child leaving soon, even though I know this is always what he has wanted to do.
He is also in JROTC, in his fourth year, and he, too, wanted to graduate early, as he is an excellent student, but has since decided to stay through his senior year.
As a mom any time he were to leave seems too soon, but I know you must be proud of your son, as we are of ours, and being supportive,
even though it is so very scary, will help him make his way. I have your fears, I do understand.
The GoArmyParents website I mentioned is a Godsend for all potential Army Parents and new Army parents.
You will learn a great deal, and receive an enormous amount of support from moms, dads and grandparents who are experiencing the same thing.)

Hugs and Strength to you and your family. Good Luck.

Last edited by Besitomio; 02-19-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
We are finally going to sit down with the Army recruiter next week sometime and I need to know what kind of questions to ask, and what lies we will hear !

So far, DH was told over the phone that when our son signs the contract, he will start getting $1000 a month and he will get a 10k graduation bonus. He will also get a 70k schooling fund. All he has to do now is go sit at the recruiting office on Saturdays to help out.

My son is in his 3rd year of ROTC and knows he is going in the military. I am in favor of this solid career choice, however I am scared to death and I do not want him to die a young soldier. This is very very hard for me.
Make sure he is guaranteed the job he requests and does not go in "OPEN GENERAL" which means they pick his job based on their needs.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Make sure he is guaranteed the job he requests and does not go in "OPEN GENERAL" which means they pick his job based on their needs.
And make sure if he does not get the job he requests that he will have the option of getting out immediately. Make sure this is in writing and you keep a copy.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,846 times
Quote:
BucFan is right. There are no guarantees. It is perfectly legal for the recruiter to lie about almost everything.

The #1 lie: it's only a 4-year (or x-year) commitment. Look at the contract carefully. It's a lifetime commitment. A buddy of mine is stuck in the Army at middle age, doing menial labor. He served 4 years starting at age 18, and got recalled a few years ago. Had to give up his good career (or face prison), he'll probably be homeless when he can't scrub toilets anymore. We're in wartime, and could be in wartime for the next 50 years. Because we're the aggressor.

Quote:
Fight for your son! He could easily become cannon fodder, although the ROTC experience should help avoid that. The Army needs new recruits to drive the IED-laden roads in Iraq. Better to let the new ones do it, because there's little invested in them. I would do all but disown my son if he were to be thinking of joining the military. It's not like WWII, where the US was the good guys. Now we're the bad guys, we're the ones starting the wars, at least in Iraq. (We have not brought democracy to that country. Nobody in power there was elected by the people. The elections there were a sham. Look back in history to see that the US has toppled two democracies, Iran's and Chile's, and thwarted Vietnam's. All for profit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues