Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

As a Vet of the National Guard who was activated for two yrs in Japan and Korea (combat) I can speak with experience.

With todays conflicts in Iraq and Afganistan the odds of him going are HIGH.
Todys news is that many men are re-enlisting due to the slow economy and of course the ( high extra bonus) so the military is at full strength considering the time period.

Army or Marines means he will be in a Combat oufit (especially with a high school education only).

The money paying the college sounds enticing at the moment but a person has to look at all the playing cards that will be dealt in the future. It's all a BIG gamble that may backfire.

I will stick by my early post in him finishing high school and then two yrs of college (AA degree).
He will 2-3 yrs older...more mature...and some education under his belt. Too many are joing the military with NO upper education levels due to the economy.

The Air Force or Navy would be my choice. Even then he would need some education background to qualify for any technical training or future advancement with a military career in mind.

Do hope he thinks carefully and wisely before jumping into something that may be disastrous. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
I think the National Guard is a bad idea. I joined after I got out and had one short deployment that cost me 2 (3 if you count summer school) semesters of school. Other guys in the same unit had two short deployments that took them out of 2 years of school. If someone has a job and doesn't mind being deployed its fun. If you're trying to get a degree it's not.

If he (you ) is set on getting a degree first, he can always go to school and join ROTC. He won't be deployed and has the opportunity to do Army stuff during the school year/summer while getting a free ride(if he qualifies). I would stay away from the Nat. Guard.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Yep. National Guard is a misnomer now. Most of them are in Iraq and Afghanistan now.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
Stacylee - I'm brand new to this forum, but I think I have some solid advice for you based on experience... I too graduated early and joined the military with parental consent. Three years later I worked as a Recruiter for three years, followed by another 20 years in the military. Looking back, I wish I stayed for my senior year, but that's hard to explain to a 17 year old. I can help you form some questions fo rthe recruiter, but I don't think you have to worry much these days. Also, don't think of your son's enlistment resulting as a potential war casualty. That's not fair to you or him, and with the drawdown occuring, chances are he won't see any action...

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textime View Post
Stacylee - I'm brand new to this forum, but I think I have some solid advice for you based on experience... I too graduated early and joined the military with parental consent. Three years later I worked as a Recruiter for three years, followed by another 20 years in the military. Looking back, I wish I stayed for my senior year, but that's hard to explain to a 17 year old. I can help you form some questions fo rthe recruiter, but I don't think you have to worry much these days. Also, don't think of your son's enlistment resulting as a potential war casualty. That's not fair to you or him, and with the drawdown occuring, chances are he won't see any action...

Thanks Tex! This has become a real tough decision for us - and our son. He wants a college education, he wants a career in the military (not just 4 or 5years) and we want to help him make the best decision. If we had the money, we would send him to a 4 year college first, no doubt. That isn't in the cards for us so he WILL be taking advantage of college money the military will offer to him. It would almost be crazy NOT to! Our son does understand that his college education will take time due to deployments etc - even if he chose the Natl Guard.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As a Viet-nam vet, I would recommend that joining the American Imperial Army is a wrong thing to do. You are most likely to be just another hired thug for the MAN.

I suggest staying here and getting a college education.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textime View Post
don't think of your son's enlistment resulting as a potential war casualty. That's not fair to you or him, and with the drawdown occuring, chances are he won't see any action...
Sorry but this is a very uninformed and frankly irresponsible post. Did you miss the part where he was fired up about becoming a Ranger (or some kind of combat job since he can't be a Ranger right off)? And Obama is already tempering his expectations of the "draw down."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As a Viet-nam vet, I would recommend that joining the American Imperial Army is a wrong thing to do. You are most likely to be just another hired thug for the MAN.
Thank you Mr Sharpton.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a Vet of the National Guard who was activated for two yrs in Japan and Korea (combat) I can speak with experience.

Todys news is that many men are re-enlisting due to the slow economy and of course the ( high extra bonus) so the military is at full strength considering the time period.

Army or Marines means he will be in a Combat oufit (especially with a high school education only).

The money paying the college sounds enticing at the moment but a person has to look at all the playing cards that will be dealt in the future. It's all a BIG gamble that may backfire.

I will stick by my early post in him finishing high school and then two yrs of college (AA degree).
He will 2-3 yrs older...more mature...and some education under his belt. Too many are joing the military with NO upper education levels due to the economy.

The Air Force or Navy would be my choice. Even then he would need some education background to qualify for any technical training or future advancement with a military career in mind.

Do hope he thinks carefully and wisely before jumping into something that may be disastrous. Steve
I agree with this guy. I spent 12 years in and loved every day of it. Your son wants to be in Combat Arms, and be a Ranger at that. I was spec. ops aviation and worked with the Rangers. Just as an earlier poster stated, just because he goes to Ranger school, doesnt mean he will be a Ranger. He has to be assigned to a Ranger Bn. in order to be a Ranger. Its hard, its admirable, but you you really need to ask yourself as a parent is what is best? The civilian world has no use for Rangers, unless he wants to be a mall security. He says he wants this as a career? He's 17/18???? His mind will change several times by the time he is 25. He's going to realize really quick that the military is not what he thinks it will be and its not glamorous. Thats real, thats true, and thats what the recruiter will not tell you.
If he is content on joining the military then thats great. Hopefully, he will do his four and get out, use his G.I. Bill and finish his education. If he is ROTC, then encourage him to finish his four year degree and at least go in as a Commissioned Officer or Warrant officer at least he'll have the degree to fall back on if he doesnt like it.
No matter what the recruiter tells you, or writes down on a contract, there are loop holes to everything. He will go where the Army needs him, its all "Based on the needs of the Army."

Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM

454 posts, read 748,978 times
Let him finish college so that he can join as an officer if he wants a military career. The army wont go anywhere, with only a high school degree he will go in with a very low rank.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
Can the army recruiter look up mos for my son, he has been to meps, taken his physical etc, he scored a 74 on asvab, and composite scores are good. the recruiter has given him the run around, i have stood my ground and now they are wanting him to go swear in on thursday (this is monday) but still nothing in writing. i was trying to get them to see if he could get an 11x/airborne/40 contract. they told me they can not even look at mos for him until i sign parental form since he is 17, that doesn't sound right.......... help please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues