Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times

Advertisements

The long held notion is that the military is very conservative organization.

Just how conservative is the military, and where does it compare to the rest of the population?

Is this a far right wing group of people across all issues or is it moderate but conservative on a few big subjects?

I'm a progressive person across all fields. I'm wondering if I would be really outnumbered and out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,613 times
Are you opposed to war, killing someone, or destruction?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM

War isn't my issue, I would say being opposed depends. Iraq? Yes, completely uneeded and budget destructive. Libya? No. I'm not one of these people who is opposed to war no matter what, no I feel war is relative to the circumstance.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Just exactly where did you get that notion? Really, has someone actually done a study and proved it lately? Maybe they have, but they did not let me know. I would be interested to hear.

Quote:
I'm a progressive person across all fields. I'm wondering if I would be really outnumbered and out of place.
1. Can you take orders?

2. Can you help your buddies?

3. Are you a quitter?

4. Are you loyal to the United States of America?

If you answered yes to 1, 2, and 4 and no to 3, then you would probably fit in and not be out of place.

In my 22+ years of continuous active duty, serving with several thousand other soldiers, your question never really came up. There were other issues to discuss...

Rich

Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
War isn't my issue, I would say being opposed depends. Iraq? Yes, completely uneeded and budget destructive. Libya? No. I'm not one of these people who is opposed to war no matter what, no I feel war is relative to the circumstance.
You can't pick and choose the war you support based upon you love or hatred of a particular president. I served under both HW Bush and Clinton. Clinton did not respect the military and so the feeling was mutual. If you do join the military, you'll discover how the main news networks skew their coverage of the military to the negative while ignoring the good our military does. Then when you get out and go to college, you'll discover just how ignorant college professors are about our military.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You can't pick and choose the war you support based upon you love or hatred of a particular president. I served under both HW Bush and Clinton. Clinton did not respect the military and so the feeling was mutual. If you do join the military, you'll discover how the main news networks skew their coverage of the military to the negative while ignoring the good our military does. Then when you get out and go to college, you'll discover just how ignorant college professors are about our military.

Before that, you'll discover just how ignorant the military is about college professors. It cuts both ways.

To the OP: What you find in the armed forces depends upon what you're looking for. If you're looking to be offended by someone's political leanings, you'll find it. If you're looking to find camaradarie and unity of purpose which transcends politics, you'll find that too.

Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:

Just how conservative is the military, and where does it compare to the rest of the population?

Is this a far right wing group of people across all issues or is it moderate but conservative on a few big subjects?

That notion is a fallacy. Most of my ex-military friends are fairly staunch democrats even.

I'm not even sure how you come up the idea that they are "right wing"? They've been ahead of the curve on a number of issues and tend to be a HIGHLY professional organization.

My suggestion to you is to hide out in a niche of life where you don't have to run into people that think differently than you so you can be "progressive".

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM

Mathguy, that is not what I am saying at all. I don't mind being around people who think differently, so long as it's not out of hatred/ignorance/racism.

The impression I got was that the military is very conservative and somebody progressive like me would not fit in. I'd be looked down upon as not being patriotic or fully committed and constantly be having to defend my political ideology. We always hear that in elections with absentee ballots the military by 2:1 goes republican.
In short, I got the sense that it would be a hostile environment.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Before that, you'll discover just how ignorant the military is about college professors. It cuts both ways.

To the OP: What you find in the armed forces depends upon what you're looking for. If you're looking to be offended by someone's political leanings, you'll find it. If you're looking to find camaradarie and unity of purpose which transcends politics, you'll find that too.

Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.
The difference is, a military commander will probably do a heck of a lot more to teach you skills to get a career.
A college professor and his class probably will be a fraction as effective in getting a career in the real world.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
The difference is, a military commander will probably do a heck of a lot more to teach you skills to get a career.
A college professor and his class probably will be a fraction as effective in getting a career in the real world.
Totally depends on the professor. I imagine it depends at least to some extent on the military command too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues