Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

What was your ASVAB Score/AFQT Score?

GED is a problem. Probably best chance is Army.

Unless you are Jewish, the IDF is not as choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM

30 posts, read 103,952 times
My mother is jewish and a rabbi told me that that makes me full jewish. So the IDF isnt a problem.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
My mother is jewish and a rabbi told me that that makes me full jewish. So the IDF isnt a problem.
Then you want Golani.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
i want to join the group that sees more combat. I want to save lives and stop terrorists. Which has the better training? Also is the IDF infantry more trained, equal, or less trained than the USMC infantry? I wanted to go for the USMC initially, but was rejected cause i have no high school diploma. Is the IDF training similar to the USMC? Im thinking bout joining the idf mahal program and learning hebrew with a free army ulpan(hebrew class). Any advice i'd really appreciate. Thanks!
My strong advice: read the relevant forum boards (a French Foreign Legion Forum : cervens.net for the FFL and MAHAL-IDF-Volunteers.org :: Index for the IDF) to formulate your decision. I was unaware of the Mahal program's specifics, but I knew the IDF occasionally recruited outside the country. Of note: just an observation, but every active poster on the FFL board seems to be fairly bitter and crusty, in some cases to the point I wonder if they are caricatures. I can't believe that's coincidence, something in that environment probably turned them that way.

I'm not sure you're actually joining for the right reasons. "I want to see the group that sees more combat" might become a relatively meaningless statement if you end up as a cook in Aubagne or a supply guy in Petach Tikva. You'll see combat if you're both in the right unit, and at the right time. Again, the FFL board stresses that: not every Legionnaire ends up in a combat unit or position. Someone has to be the plumber or truck driver.

The "better" training is a matter of preference. They both have the exact kind of training they need for their individual services needs, and you probably can't meaningfully compare them. The FFL has the better training for their needs, the IDF for their needs.

I suspect, but can't prove, FFL is harder to get into. That doesn't make it better, it just means there are far more desperate, physically fit and motivated third-worlders who have made their way to France and view it as a path to citizenship. The limitation to Jews makes the IDF Mahal program harder to even begin joining, and my bet is once you started you'd be able to join, train, and complete your service.

You'd have the opportunity to learn either Hebrew or French by full immersion if you succeed in getting in. Question: Do you ever see yourself living in a Francophone country in the future? Or Israel? Are you ever looking at changing your citizenship if the service works out? That should help guide your decision. Israel is obviously more equipped and has the infrastructure ready to absorb immigrants, as they do it all the time; you could do it in France, but not as easily.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
..... occasionally recruited outside the country.
He can go there under Aliya. But he will still need to go through the battery of testing as in the US for placement. He may not get what he is looking for unless he goes in under the 6 year plan.

Quote:
Are you ever looking at changing your citizenship if the service works out?
He doesn't have too. He's automatically a dual citizen of Israel.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I believe that IDF has a program to educate non-graduates of high school in order for them to serve in the IDF.
If you go to Israel as a new immigrant (being that your mother is Jewish, you are also Jewish), you will get Israeli citizenship after 3 months automatically without loosing your American citizenship.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
You should have a home school diploma. The USMC is willing to work with home schoolers. Something is going on here.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Something is going on here.
Thats why I asked for his ASVAB Score/AFQT Score.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 PM

They only accept accredited high school diplomas. My parents taught me with their own curriculum and never made me a diploma. The USMC recruiter told me that it's got to be accredited. But this has nothing to do with my question. Please stick to the topic.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Also i read up on the Mahal volunteers.org(thanks georgiatransplant) and i read that most mahal volunteers go to the Nahal infantry brigade. Anyone know if their training is better or worse than the Golani infantry brigade? I read that the Golani is more prestigious cause of their past history but that they both are bout the same. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues