Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM

207 posts, read 535,814 times

Advertisements

Hello thank you for clicking. I am not sure how to put this out there. I have some questions. I am 27 years old I am very shelter and I still live at home with my parents because they need my help in paying bills. I am a college drop out because I was never really good in school. So anyways. I know I want to join the Air Force but I recently talked with a recruiter and it didn't go well. I don't have a college degree. I want to become a better person by have more confidence in myself.
Women who are serving The Navy or Marines? Do you regret going? And is it true that alot of the females gets raped? Has the military improved your life? Where do you think you would be if you never joined? Have you ever dated guys who are in your branch? While at boot camp, has there ever been somebody who was 27 or older? Did the military take care of you and gave you good housing conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,893,293 times
You may look to the Coast Guard. You can do any job a male can do in the Coast Guard. If you want to be operational then you can do that or if you want to do paperwork and personnel stuff you can do that. I have never heard of any of the girls at the units I have been at having any problems.
27 is the cut off so if you want to join the Coast Guard you need to start now.
Look up a recruiter at UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:

Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

167 posts, read 477,214 times
Do you regret going?

No. I have the best memories of being active duty in the Corps.

And is it true that alot of the females gets raped?

During my time served, I never knew of anyone who was raped, sexually battered, etc. That does not mean it doesn't happen, and there's always the possibility that if it happened to someone I knew maybe they never said something to me or came forward to talk about it. Sadly it does happen, but it would happen in any branch in the military or anywhere in the civilian sector.

Has the military improved your life?

Yes. In many aspects too numerous to mention.

Where do you think you would be if you never joined?

Probably still living in the smaller town in North Dakota that I grew up in like most everyone else I graduated with.

Have you ever dated guys who are in your branch?

Yes, and have been married to the same Marine (who is now in the Army) for the past 13 years.

While at boot camp, has there ever been somebody who was 27 or older?

Yes, a couple were in their late 20's in my platoon alone.

Did the military take care of you and gave you good housing conditions?

I didn't have a car, or a driver's license. I knew where the chow hall was, my barracks was within walking distance to work. If I needed a ride I had co workers that didn't hesitate to give me a ride and help out where needed. We took care of each other and had an overall camaraderie that I have yet to see matched.

Just my perspective, hope it helps.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
I'm not a women, but my mother was in the Marines, my job in the Marines has percentage wise the highest number of females and is number 2 by raw numbers (there's been times I've been the only guy in my shop), and as a recruiter I've put several women in.

Do you regret going?

Haven't personally met one yet. This includes a friend who spent 2 years trying to get back in after she got out (she's a married mother of two at that, civilian husband), my mother (who's career ended early due to the drawdown after the gulf war), and the ladies I've put in (who are best recruiter's assistance, meaning they leave their jobs for 30 days or less to come back to their hometown to help me recruit). Even had one lady who has been out oft he Marines for almost two decades bring her oldest son in to join and spoke highly of the Corps and her experiences to another young lady who was in my office looking for info at the time.

And is it true that alot of the females gets raped?

No it's not. You are more likely to be raped in college than the Marine Corps or the military in general. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It should never happen, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Where do you think you would be if you never joined?

Judging by the people I've put in, their friends and their family. I'd say most would still be around their hometowns, probably knocked up at some point with no real prospects of expanding upon what they've always done.

Have you ever dated guys who are in your branch?

It happens all the time.

While at boot camp, has there ever been somebody who was 27 or older?

Marine Corps cut off age is 28. 29 for reserves.

Did the military take care of you and gave you good housing conditions?

Yes they will. And as mentioned, more than just materially.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I'm going to say that rape is not rampant. That is based on the fact that is an article in Al Jazeera saying it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues