Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 101,987 times

Advertisements

If I understand correctly Air National Guard is funded by the state. Where as Air Force Reserves is Funded by the Federal Government?

Can anybody follow up on some more differences between the two?

Here is what I want out of the service. Maybe I could get some Suggestions on which one to try and get into.

I currently Work for the Union and right now I'm laid off. My union incourages Military time, so I'm going to take this oppurtunity to serve While coming home to my family and career in Arizona.

I'm a single Dad age 22. But the mother takes care of her most the days out the week. So she has support If I were to join.

I want to join the Reserves and continue working for the Union when I return home from training and BMT. And I also would very much like to get deployed. I understand deployment isnt perminant, which is why I don't mind it. But I don't want to be stationed outside of Arizona, due to my civilian career and family.

Which Service would benifit me most? I also heard that Reserves have a very limited option in career choices. But I saw on the Airforce Reserves website a lot of choices. So whats true?

Thanks all.

Also I read here on a pretty old thread that you can come out with more stripes if you have an Associates Degree (45 Semester Credits). Well I dont have an Associates but I do have 49 Semester Credits going towards my GPA. Will that count?

Last edited by Slindsay8; 10-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Added Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
For jobs you will need to talk to a recruiter for a unit near you. For a job where do you see yourself in 10 years and how can the guard get you there would be a good starting point.

Also what is your current profession.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
For jobs you will need to talk to a recruiter for a unit near you. For a job where do you see yourself in 10 years and how can the guard get you there would be a good starting point.

Also what is your current profession.
Well my goal in life is to get on the Fire Department. Most of my College Credits are towards Fire Science, and I was a volunteer for 2 1/2 years.

Volunteer work doesnt support a family so I got fortunate enough to get on with UA Local 469 as an Apprentice Pipefitter. It's a 5 year apprenticeship after that I turn out as a Journeyman, And i'll have a skill in the trade for the rest of my life. Then I was going to look into the Department again.

But I also have always wanted to join the Military but never made the move. And I don't want to go active now because of my daughter and career.

Thats why I want to go Reserve. But I don't know which one (Airforce Reserve or Air National Guard) to get into.

But theres also the deployment factor. If I had the option I would sign the papers in a heart beat. I would not mind leaving for deployments.

I'm young, Healthy and Fit. But I was told that all the real competitive jobs like, SERE, Pararescue are for Full-time Active duty. But If I was able to get on with Fire Protection in the Military That would be great too! Or get on with there Arial Fire Fighting Mission.

But this is just based off of little research I was able to find. Is it true that I have to fill out a list of 10 jobs to choose from? I can barly think of 5 haha.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
If your interested in firefighting why not pick a career field which is what a job in the Air Force is called that can help with getting into a fire department. Would EMT or disaster preparedness training help in getting on?

Here are some career fields.

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT - airforce.com

FIRE PROTECTION - airforce.com

Aerospace Medical Service - airforce.com

I know the Aerospace medical service job can also be a flying job where you help transport patients and you can pick up a lot of guard days and deployments once you have your 5 level.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,639 times
On Special Forces (Pararescue, Combat Controller, etc): About 1/2 our SF is in the Guard and Reserve. These are extremely competitive positions, and if you make it expect to be deployed +200 days per year.

On available carreers:
Both the Guard and Reserve recruiting websites are light on information and heavy on graphics. From www.afrc.af.mil and www.ang.af.mil, the units in AZ are:

Reserves:
944th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base

Guard:
161st Air Refueling Wing, Phoenix, AZ
162nd Fighter Wing, Tucson, AZ
214th Reconnaissance Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
ANG AFRC Command Test Center, Tucson, AZ

Recruiters usually have the inside scoop on job openings. If you have any of your firefighting certs, then this will help. Also finish that AA degree. The USAF tends to be picky about who gets in, so things like this will help you stand out.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys for the Links.

So whats the main difference between the two Reserves? That way I can know which Recruiter to talk to.

I think I have enough info above to give a definate answer on which Reserve would be best for me. Or does it not matter if I go Airforce Reserve or Air National Guard.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slindsay8 View Post
If I understand correctly Air National Guard is funded by the state. Where as Air Force Reserves is Funded by the Federal Government?

Can anybody follow up on some more differences between the two?
In reality the Guard and the Reserves are pretty much funded by the federal government. The National Guard is owned by the states and territories of the United States of America. Each State and Territory has its own national guard unit(s) that can be called up for both state and federal service. The Reserve is a part military unit for the U.S. Army or Air Force (Active Duty). The main difference between Reserves and Guard is that the guard is state owned (federally funded and trained) while the reserves are simply federally funded.

The reserves are always under the president's control. But not so with National Guard units. National Guard units are assigned to and primarily controlled by states, which actually gives them greater freedom on some issues, like the Posse Comitatus Act, which makes it illegal for troops to enforce civilian laws but doesn't apply to soldiers serving states. Governors can and frequently do call up National Guard troops to serve as kind of adjunct police (as, for instance, when National Guardsmen are asked to enforce curfews after hurricanes).

National Guard units can be federalized by the president should he declare a national emergency. The president has relied on that same emergency declaration to keep National Guard units available for Iraq. When such an order is given, the part-timers, who normally train one weekend a month and two additional weeks per year, can be called to duty for two-year stints, a timeframe the Army is now considering lengthening. The federal government can go one step further: A full mobilization can happen if Congress declares a national emergency. If such a situation occurs, soldiers can be required to serve for "length of the emergency plus six months.". The part-time soldiers of the Army Reserve can also be tossed into active duty for the same amount of time.

I would go talk to all recruiters, to get a feeling of what is available...

Quote:
So whats the main difference between the two Reserves?
Not sure what you mean... I guess you meant Guard and Reserves.

Rich

Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
just suggest you go into this with your eyes wide open. this is about needs of the country, needs of the service, needs of the unit, and your needs last. where you can merge your needs with the others is where a successful career is made.

lots of deployments and yes they can and are out of state.

you are accepting a lot of obligations that are more than the 2 week drill and one weekend a month of peacetime.

just saying

I was active duty over many years and would do it again in a heartbeat. But that is me. You'll find the best path for you

Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,469 times
I was in the Marines and just recently joined the Air National Guard. Another benefit of being a guardsmen are the state benefits that the regular active duty/reserves dont get. You can look it up by state.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 PM

457 posts, read 693,627 times
Quote:
Well my goal in life is to get on the Fire Department. Most of my College Credits are towards Fire Science, and I was a volunteer for 2 1/2 years.

Volunteer work doesnt support a family so I got fortunate enough to get on with UA Local 469 as an Apprentice Pipefitter. It's a 5 year apprenticeship after that I turn out as a Journeyman, And i'll have a skill in the trade for the rest of my life. Then I was going to look into the Department again.

But I also have always wanted to join the Military but never made the move. And I don't want to go active now because of my daughter and career.

Thats why I want to go Reserve. But I don't know which one (Airforce Reserve or Air National Guard) to get into.

But theres also the deployment factor. If I had the option I would sign the papers in a heart beat. I would not mind leaving for deployments.

I'm young, Healthy and Fit. But I was told that all the real competitive jobs like, SERE, Pararescue are for Full-time Active duty. But If I was able to get on with Fire Protection in the Military That would be great too! Or get on with there Arial Fire Fighting Mission.

But this is just based off of little research I was able to find. Is it true that I have to fill out a list of 10 jobs to choose from? I can barly think of 5 haha.

Thanks.
You're exactly where I'm at except I'm trying to figure out if I want to go Air National Guard or active duty Air Force for fire fighting. I'd also like to do something with EMS as well as I am a EMT-B in my state. I'd love to get my paramedic while enlisted. I'm going to try to talk to a recruiter this weekend if I have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues