Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! First off, thank you for taking time to read. I'll start with a few facts about myself: I'm 23 years old, living in Puerto Rico but hopefully moving to Florida soon (hopefully in a month or so). Single, no children. A few piercings, but no tattoos. My written English is better than when I speak (or so I think, sometimes I'm a bit shy about it) and I'm REALLY bad in Math, haha. As far as college goes, I was taking a bachelor's degree in Psychology but didn't finish. So far, I have 54 credits.

I've been wanting to join the military for a while now. I had met with an army recruiter 2 years ago (she's now my friend, but no longer a recruiter). I went with my sister and my boyfriend but after a few months, we kind of forgot about it. My boyfriend and I broke up, he ended up joining by himself (he's now in the Army, 1st Infantry Division). Recently, I've found myself with this urge again: with a desire to wear the uniform, standing proud, to be independent, wanting to do something bigger than myself. As of right now, I'm interested in the Air Force but I would like to be advised on my options. I have read about the AFROTC, the Reserves and Active Duty. That's one of the reasons why I'm moving to Florida, to have better resources and better opportunities. I could get it done here (except for the reserves), but I'm sick of being home and I don't like depending so much on my parents. I think it's time I give back. Although I'm not looking forward to being away from my family, not even my dog, but here I feel unfocused and without purpose, like I need to breath a different air. When I move, I'll have to get a job and that would be about it. I still have to lose weight, but I'm hoping that moving in with my big sister, who loves to exercise and being active, will help me achieve that. I want to get ready for the physical strength I'm going to need, so I downloaded the BMT 14-week training schedule from the AF website, which is what I'm going to concentrate at after I get settled (would start right now, but a week ago I had a cellulitis in my chest that was surgically drained/removed and I'm still healing). I'm scared to death (tragic, I know) of BMT but I'm guessing it won't be that bad once I start getting fit.

For my round of doubts/questions: Is being in the military any harder for women? That's one of my fears, so I'd be very thankful to have a lady put her 2 cents on this one. I want to know what's the experience like from a woman's point of view. Also, I have really long hair, which I've read is better to cut but I really don't look forward to that, any advice on that too? I worry about the silliest things, like clothes or personal hygiene: deodorants, creams, make-up, shampoo/conditioner, shaving, etc.

I have a student loan of less than $2,000, would that affect me in any way? I also have a car in my name, which I don't know if I'm gonna leave for my sister to continue on paying or return to the bank even if that affects my credit. Does bad credit affects me too?

I'd like to be advised as to which would be my best option and how to make this right. I guess that what I'm asking for is for some kind of comparison between those three: AFROTC, Reserves and Active Duty. Any kind help would be greatly appreciated, really. Even books to read, if you know any (I have the McGraw-Hill's ASVAB study book). I've been wanting this for a long time, because of the people I'll meet and the gratification of finally taking the big step. I won't lie and say I'm not interested in the money I'll make, of course I am, but I'm looking at the big picture and I want to live the experience, overall. I just don't know where to start or which would be the right direction. I'm a perfectionist and too often I find myself afraid of doing something wrong or screwing up and ending up regretting it.

I'm sorry if you find this long to read. I try to explain myself clearly and sometimes I think I end up make it more complicated, haha. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues