Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I guess I am one of those parasites?

After my 22 years of continuous active duty I did have some chances at a few good Federal positions. I became a contractor instead... That was 1990... Good pay, zero benefits, pay self employment tax and no accumulated future, just a bag of money... Over 50% of our group were veterans... I worked long hours, just like in the military, I went TDY, just like in the military, except I lived in hotels, not tents or barracks...

Rich
NO I meant the Food Service and Housekeeping services that the VA has contracted so many of the jobs that used to be done by Veterans too.
The VA always bragged about how many Veterans it hired while not mentioning that most of them were sweeping floors or washing dishes, now even that is gone.
Actually most were digging graves, then came washing dishes and sweeping floors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
An aquaintance of mine recently finished serving in the US Marines. He never left American soil during his service. Since returning home to his wife, he's been job hunting but having no luck. Faced with growing money problems, he's resorted to some tactics which I find questionable, to say the least.
For one: when being turned down by a prospective employer, he's responded "But I'm a veteran of the war in Afghanistan! Is this how you treat those of us who've sacrificed and served our country?"
And more recently, he's discovered that some other veterans recieve benefits for various conditions, such as hearing loss, post traumatic stress disorder, etc. So, he's actually been tossing around the idea of filing a disability claim, although there's not a thing wrong with him-- and certainly nothing resulting from being in the US Marines.
His family is beside themselves over his currrent mindset. But this veteran seems to think he's fully entitled to special treatment simply for having been a Marine. Having a hard time swallowing this. You?
Heres my take :

We as a nation should be very grateful for his service ...and we in fact are ; however, when a person enters the military he/she should give consideration to eventually becoming a civilian again by taking advantage of educational opportunities while in the military that can benefit the person when they come out . THAT or, take advantage of veteran schooling benefits when they are discharged to learn a skill to better themselves in society. Making oneself marketable should always be a top consideration to help avoid the situation he's now finding himself in during this bad job market and economy.

Regarding his attitude...it isnt right to be using intimidation tactics because he was a Marine . That is disengenuous . Maybe he should have delayed getting married and having a family until such time that he was financially secure in civilian life (?). I personally think so.

I wish him well, but i hope he refrains from tarnishing his image as a Soldier thru the temptation of an entitle-itis persona.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
NO I meant the Food Service and Housekeeping services that the VA has contracted so many of the jobs that used to be done by Veterans too.
The VA always bragged about how many Veterans it hired while not mentioning that most of them were sweeping floors or washing dishes, now even that is gone.
Actually most were digging graves, then came washing dishes and sweeping floors
Sorry but my husband was one of those Vets who "...were digging graves..." and he found it to be an honorable job to do! I do not think he nor any of his co-workers would equate it to washing dishes. They were all very proud to given their fallen brothers and sisters the respect and care they deserved in their final resting place.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Sorry but my husband was one of those Vets who "...were digging graves..." and he found it to be an honorable job to do! I do not think he nor any of his co-workers would equate it to washing dishes. They were all very proud to given their fallen brothers and sisters the respect and care they deserved in their final resting place.
Again my apologies for my poor wording, my point is that The VA traditionally set aside these jobs for Veterans and is now contracting them out to companies owned by some politicians cousin, the veterans are deprived of the now contracted out jobs which will be performed by an illegal. I'm sure that there were people who took pride in their jobs in the Kitchen and or Housekeepeing or Grounds, but they are now out of work because of contracting out

Perhaps when they contract out your husbands job you'll understand

Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
It reminds me or Vietnam ERA vets, who were traumatized when they saw me being shot at on the evening news. While I was in the Army I was always told Marines were "Special"
That's because they always tell themselves that along with an ever gullible civilian populace.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Maybe he was traumatized...I don't judge any situations until investigated....who knows what his military experience was...respect him for his service. Even serving here in the states can have some lasting effects....just watch "Full Metal Jacket"…for example...

As for the government owing veterans a job...I agree, give them some extra points...if they can do the job. But no one should get a free lunch ticket for life, for being a veteran.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Again my apologies for my poor wording, my point is that The VA traditionally set aside these jobs for Veterans and is now contracting them out to companies owned by some politicians cousin, the veterans are deprived of the now contracted out jobs which will be performed by an illegal. I'm sure that there were people who took pride in their jobs in the Kitchen and or Housekeepeing or Grounds, but they are now out of work because of contracting out

Perhaps when they contract out your husbands job you'll understand
The "private sector" can always do the job more efficiently than the "lazy government employees," right.

Last edited by Knox Harrington; 08-10-2012 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Maybe he was traumatized...I don't judge any situations until investigated....who knows what his military experience was...respect him for his service. Even serving here in the states can have some lasting effects....just watch "Full Metal Jacket"…for example...

As for the government owing veterans a job...I agree, give them some extra points...if they can do the job. But no one should get a free lunch ticket for life, for being a veteran.
This isn't just another job, this is the VA, putting Veterans First yada, yada. The job will get done one way or the other and the VA has yet to show any real savings by contracting out. Isn't it cheaper to employ those veterans rather than pay them compensation and pay someone else to do the job.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Any veteran who's having trouble finding a job, needs to enlist the help of fellow veterans at a job placement firm such as Orion International, where they'll find him some jobs that he's qualified for with his particular skill set. These folks have built up quite a rapport with a huge network of employers who love to hire veterans, and if your friend wants (and should want), they'll even set him up to attend a hiring conference or two. If he is dead serious about polishing his interviewing skills and can lose the attitude, the good folks at Orion will bend over backwards to hook him up.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 61,902 times
To fellow Veterans ,

I know you all hardcore ok, iam Grunt too but the issue right now is how a veteran can move back to his feet after he get out in the military. Everyone in the military is been complacent that we going to retired in the military. But is not everybody retired right what ever is the reason..... so maybe we need to start thinking and stop using anger take over....
Right now your priority is your family or yourself.... Lets swallow our pride and focus...... to put you in the right track....

1) if you just get out in the service you should have a DD214 you can apply for unemployment for the mean time while looking for job.
2) for your late bills you can request a financial aid from the SODIERS, SAILORS AND MARINES FUND and the veterarans affairs. THERES A LOT OF PROGRAM THAT HELPS VETERANS you just need to find it in your location try go to your city hall you can get some direction there.
3)i know that after you get out in the service you got six months tricare but and some dental in the VA facilities....
after that you can go and get some city medic-aid for your family and food stamps for the mean time....
4) if you want to go too school you can call VA in your area so they can help you with G.I.BILL its free so dont worry they can give free education and allowance too.

alright this for now i think this will help you a lot..... and by the way go to your VA ok and get check up... i know your hardcore and trained to kill but you dont know anything about veterans benefits and the people in the VA their trained to help the veterans in anyway they can.... stop thinking about your pride and do this for your family and the future of your family.....

Good Luck and God Bless

Last edited by VETERAN#1; 09-08-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues